PDA

View Full Version : New user dilemma - Camera position in case?

Gas
12-10-2010, 8:14pm
Hi guys,

My question is very basic, but i am concerned i will damage my lens or camera. I have a Lowpro bag with the fliptop raincover with a divider that i keep my 550D in with two lenses.

On the camera i have the 55-250mm. My question is when i put it in the bag, should i put it lens down or camera in first? When i need my camera i find i'm pulling it out of the bag by the lens (so camera in first) - apols for the lame question but i'm uncertain.:o

Thanks.

I @ M
12-10-2010, 8:21pm
Simple advice that I have stuck to is to pick up the camera / lens combination by the heavier of the two.

If you have a 50mm F/1.8 attached to the camera, pick it up by the body.

If you have something like a 70-200 F/2.8 attached to the camera, pick it up by the lens close to where it joins to the camera body ( rough balance point )

Arrange your bag to suit the most likely scenario. :)

BLWNHR
12-10-2010, 11:01pm
My question is when i put it in the bag, should i put it lens down or camera in first?

I always put lens in first. This is in my backpacks though, which are far less convenient to put in body first. My gear has seen a lot of miles, not all of them friendly and careful, and have come out the other side spot on.

The lens mount is amazingly strong. I wouldn't hang a 400/2.8 off a D7000, but a 55-250 on a 550D will be fine no matter how you handle it.

Gas
12-10-2010, 11:29pm
Thanks guys, very much appreciate the sound advice.

Rod038
13-10-2010, 10:29am
Love your Avatar Gas. That was me on the weekend when my pc packed it in.