PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding Clients

Inspired
12-10-2010, 6:33pm
In the last couple of months i swapped over from giving people a package deal which included the session and x amount of images on disc, to now charging a session fee, and them purchasing prints/products from me. (no digital negatives - although after they spend so much they are eligable to buy them if they please.

At first i was a little weary about doing it, as i am one of the only photographers here (where i live) that do it - everyone supplies the images on disc and charge nothing for it - well close to nothing. (When i first started my business in January there was myself and 3 others, there is now 26 aspiring photographer's in town!) hehe anyway that is beside the point!

I would like to reward my clients with little 'thank you's' firstly for choosing me to capture their special moments (as their is so many of us). In every clients order i include a voucher for 10% off our shop (we have a tyre business) Kinda works good in both respects we get more business and they get discounted tyres! hehe
They also get a voucher for a hair salon in touch again % off.

BUT i would like to include 'freebies' for the ones that spend that bit extra.
I have my minimum spend set to $300 (which can be on prints/products), and to my amazement (in a good way) people having been spending anywhere from $1000 - $3000 on a session. So i thought i would set price targets (not advertise them) but automatically add them to their order once they reach certain amounts.
EG. $1000+ include a mini accordian album with images from their session. Then something else if its $1500+ etc.

So i have 2 questions!
Where can i purchase the self mount mini accordian albums? I used to have a website in my favourites that sold them - but back then i didn't supply any products to clients and i since can't find it. (and its no where in my favourites).

The other, what other 'gifts' do you think clients would appreciate?
What would you like if it was you?

I really do have the most amazing clients and they are always so grateful, so i would really like to do something nice for them.

Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!

wmphoto
12-10-2010, 6:48pm
Personally I don't think what the gift is matters, it's more the surprise factor at getting something you weren't expecting. I recently got my daughter's car serviced and when I picked it up there was a bag of lollies, pen, air freshener, rubbish bag and $20 worth of fuel. Not a lot in the scheme of things but it gave you that warm fuzzy feeling and guess what... I'll be taking the car back.

Inspired
12-10-2010, 7:19pm
Yes that is very true, i defanitley want to suprise them! As i don;t want to put it out there and make it an incentive for them to spend more, as that's definatley not what it is, just a thank you for their order and business.

Thats great about the place you get your car services - you rarley hear of places like that doing things like that. I would go back too!

jeffde
12-10-2010, 7:59pm
Find domeone who does framing and give them a $50-00 gift voucher (but go halves in the cost with the framer) perceived vale $50 cost to you $25.00

Gypsy
12-10-2010, 10:51pm
What about a mini album for the grandparents?

I also agree though that anything for 'free' is exciting to customers. I've given mine a free 8x12 print, not a big cost to me but they were surprised and grateful for it! So it doesn't have to be much.

Dan Cripps
13-10-2010, 10:31am
Personally I don't think what the gift is matters, it's more the surprise factor at getting something you weren't expecting. I recently got my daughter's car serviced and when I picked it up there was a bag of lollies, pen, air freshener, rubbish bag and $20 worth of fuel. Not a lot in the scheme of things but it gave you that warm fuzzy feeling and guess what... I'll be taking the car back.

Everyone's different, but if it were me I would rather have paid $30 less for the service! :)

xkellie
13-10-2010, 10:40pm
i found these after a google search, but they're american -
http://www.ricestudiosupplies.com/Snap-Accordian-Wallet-Album

there are a few other usa places that print them, but they are probably more than you want to spend once shipping is added.
http://www.whcc.com/products/books-albums/accordion-mini-books/
http://www.millerslab.com/info/products/press/accordionminis.aspx

maybe try your local photo labs? they might have some or be able to get some in.

they might also like keyrings, photo magnets, jig saw puzzles, snow/glitter globes (saw all of these available fairly cheaply at my local print store).

OzzieTraveller
14-10-2010, 8:29am
G'day inspired

Good ideas here mate !
Your price is your price - I suggest that you do not play with it ... you want the word to spread about you, not the fact that your price 'could be' $nnn less under certain circumstances

As to 'gifts' ... it's the surprise factor more than the item that gets the smile & the return business, as others have said above negotiate with other businesses in your area to 'do a deal' of some sort. If a local restaurant/coffee shop is prepared to get involved with a dinner-offer, maybe they will also display samples from you for sale as well

It will work, and it will take some leg work to make it happen - good luck
Regards, Phil

JODEAN
14-10-2010, 9:33am
Don't forget to send your clients christmas cards:xmas:

Dean.

Raven
14-10-2010, 10:21am
Have a look at seldex (http://www.seldex.com.au) when they get their site back up (it's been offline all week being revamped). They have some really nice accordion albums that you stick wallet sized photos on. I've seen them IRL but not bought them so not sure if it's costly to do this kind of gift thing with.

Also there are some US sites that do press printed accordions such as WHCC (http://www.whcc.com) that I've been looking into.

Inspired
15-10-2010, 10:07pm
Wow, I didn't realise there was so many replies! Thank you everyone!

Thats a great idea Jeff, I had a local framer approach me awhile ago about framing etc so will have to go in and see them about that!

Good thinking Gypsy i see in one of the links xkellie sent through you get 3 identical ablums, so will definatley look into that.

and xkellie thanks you for all those links that is wonderful THANK YOU!

Hi Phil
I must agree, i don't really want to change my pricing, and no one has ever complained about it, i think i would rather leave it as it is like you say and then gift them as a thank you.
I really like the idea of approaching the resturants too..thank you will go in and talk to a few and see what kind of response i get.

Yes will definatley be sending christmas cards (goodness that isn't far away is it)!

Hey Sam
I was just browing Seldex this morning actually but they are really expensive unfortnuatley (got a little shock actually) lol.
I found some at www.jleealbums.com (i think that was the adress) they are self mount and work out to be about $3-4 each including postage - but then you have to add the cost of getting the images printed to stick in them, so they would work out to be about $20-$25 i think, which i would be happy to spend on them.
Although now that i have seen the ones xkellie sent through thinking they may work better! hmmm
Thanks for the WHCC site too, i love browsing different things!!

jasevk
15-10-2010, 10:38pm
I had some family shots done by a local tog a few months back, our framed prints came in cloth bags made with nice material, and we also got a few wallet sized prints of the pics we chose too!

Redgum
16-10-2010, 12:50am
Okay, if you're doing photography as a hobby, fine supply gifts. If you're doing it commercially to make a living, forget about it. If anyone gave me a gift in the thirty years I've been in business I'd be looking to see what they knocked of or broke.
The only time I've seen a response to a gift is when the client comes back the second time and complains they didn't get one.
The immediate thought of most people toward a gift would be "what's the catch?"
Sorry, I'm not mean spirited but business is business and should be kept professional or you may end up in all sorts of bother. Having said that I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than handing all your clients a calendar at the end of the year which of course would display your photos and calling card. :)

jasevk
16-10-2010, 7:46am
Okay, if you're doing photography as a hobby, fine supply gifts. If you're doing it commercially to make a living, forget about it. If anyone gave me a gift in the thirty years I've been in business I'd be looking to see what they knocked of or broke.
The only time I've seen a response to a gift is when the client comes back the second time and complains they didn't get one.
The immediate thought of most people toward a gift would be "what's the catch?"
Sorry, I'm not mean spirited but business is business and should be kept professional or you may end up in all sorts of bother. Having said that I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than handing all your clients a calendar at the end of the year which of course would display your photos and calling card. :)

i agree with keeping things professional, but whats the difference between giving away a small print, and pizza hut doing a 2 for one... or a car dealear giving a tank of fuel etc etc. I'd disagree that most peoples reaction would be "whats the catch". In my case, the freebie I recieved was from a former AIPP photographer of the year, doing very well, and I know many of his other clients who have also recieved small tokens with their orders..... can't be that bad for business!

JM Tran
16-10-2010, 9:15am
Totally not my style to throw in little warm fuzzy gifts and stuff, because of my style of images and creative direction - they might perceive me as being a pansy:) I need to be cool u know, like the Fonz!

Anyway, it really depends on the type of photography u do and the photographer itself. If u shoot baby portraiture or family stuff a lot then thats fine, go ahead! But for someone like me or others who do a lot of commercial work, doing that will make me look like an idiot trying to advertise and squeeze more out of them in the future.

jasevk
16-10-2010, 9:24am
Totally not my style to throw in little warm fuzzy gifts and stuff, because of my style of images and creative direction - they might perceive me as being a pansy:) I need to be cool u know, like the Fonz!

Anyway, it really depends on the type of photography u do and the photographer itself. If u shoot baby portraiture or family stuff a lot then thats fine, go ahead! But for someone like me or others who do a lot of commercial work, doing that will make me look like an idiot trying to advertise and squeeze more out of them in the future.

Really well said fonz :th3: classic!

Redgum
16-10-2010, 10:05am
, doing that will make me look like an idiot trying to advertise and squeeze more out of them in the future.
Hey JM, there's plenty of ways of doing that without giving gifts away. :D Totally uncool!!!!
And Jasevk, what's "a former AIPP photographer of the year" got to do with marketing your business effectively? Most of the ones I know are saving up for their lunch. :rolleyes:
The beauty of doing business for yourself is you can do what you like but I know you will find that giving gifts away should be part of a larger strategy, one that delivers greater profits, not one that increases expenses.

JM Tran
16-10-2010, 10:24am
well speaking of GVING GIFTS away

I donated a portraiture session with hair and make up to the Insight Development Charity Dinner last night for the Adelaide Uni Medical School, they auctioned off the photoshoot and a few guys won it for $225, all proceeds will go to the charity work overseas for projects with the auction prizes

Its 2 hours out of my time, and I had a lot of ppl asking me about it and I showed them photos on the iPad too blah blah blah last night, so it was free advertising for me and my business name and image plastered everywhere - as I do charity work in Cambodia and Vietnam too so it relates to the aim of the organisation. I think this way is much more respectable in terms of giving away something free for promotional purposes:D

Doctor Dylan Toh and his wife Maryanne also donated one of their photos from Iceland for the auction too, so well done to them

jasevk
16-10-2010, 11:11am
And Jasevk, what's "a former AIPP photographer of the year" got to do with marketing your business effectively? Most of the ones I know are saving up for their lunch. :rolleyes:

I was trying to make the point that this fellows business is doing extremely well,you forgot to leave the part in where I said he was doing quite well, both financially and widely known within the industry, has clients coming out of his ears And charges premium dollars.... Giving away the odd freebie is not hurting his business at all. I think JM is dea on, you wouldn't do it for commercial work, but mr & mrs jones who just had their first baby really appreciate a 2x3 wallet card of their little one.

SkattyKat
16-10-2010, 12:11pm
I have just read through this thread & thought I might put my 2cents worth in.

I like the idea of "giving" a gift ( My motor mechanic, gives a bag of lollies & a pen - small but effective token of appreciation) there is nothing wrong with saying "thank you" & showing appreciation to your clients & it encourages customers to continue supporting your business. (and tell others about it)

I would appreciate a gift more if there were no "strings attached" ie a gift (albulm etc) not a discount voucher, to me a discount voucher just spells "spend more money"
As mentioned previously, I think the gift shoud be a surprise element, not an advertised "spend this much & you will receive"

Attending to the small things in business often increases profit - because it's often the small things that set you apart from the rest !!

Redgum
16-10-2010, 12:14pm
Sure, I understand where you're coming from Jasevk but I've never heard of him and I'm sure no one on this forum has ever heard of him so he's hardly relevant to this thread. :)
Maybe if you were to name the person we could check him out? Maybe it's not important.
Congrats JM that's fine work on your part. :th3:

jasevk
16-10-2010, 1:03pm
His name isn't relevant... no need to be passive aggressive red, but again... All I'm saying is that it IS being done by people, without the negative effect you suggest it would have :)

Redgum
16-10-2010, 1:17pm
His name isn't relevant... no need to be passive aggressive red, but again... All I'm saying is that it IS being done by people, without the negative effect you suggest it would have :)
Sorry Jasevk, wasn't meaning to be aggressive. :o

jasevk
16-10-2010, 1:24pm
It's ok red, go pick out a landscape from my site and I'll send you a free wallet card :p :th3:

Redgum
16-10-2010, 1:32pm
Do I get the "landscape" for free too? :D

Longshots
16-10-2010, 3:51pm
I'd never heard of Redgum, and plenty of other people on this forum, until I'd had a chat with a few of you; but thats not the point either redgum ;)

Whats the point is that for some people giving a gift to their clients works, and for some it doesnt.

I have my foot in both camps, because sometimes depending on the client, I know that a business thank you gift, especially around the Xmas time, does work wonders. And other times, I know its completely pointless. Can I tell which is which after all these years ? No. Depends on the occasion, the client, and importantly the personalities involved.

It also depends on the item you intend to give. Most of the gifts I've given have been nice small items that include a branding reminder of my business.

Redgum
16-10-2010, 5:37pm
I'd never heard of Redgum, and plenty of other people on this forum, until I'd had a chat with a few of you; but thats not the point either redgum ;)
That's alright William, we'll excuse your sheltered life. :)
I was having a go at Jasevk for using the term "former AIPP photographer" and have since apologised. :o As a journalist it's just not cool to use an unidentifiable source as an authority to support a personal opinion. When politicians do that we know they're not telling the truth.
Anyway, like I said I've apologised and I promise I won't do it again in this thread.
Still doesn't change my opinion - giving gifts is like ripping up $10 notes - I can't do either. :D

jasevk
16-10-2010, 6:31pm
As a journalist it's just not cool to use an unidentifiable source as an authority to support a personal opinion.

Well lucky I'm not a journalist.... Looks like I'm off the hook :p

Raven
17-10-2010, 5:03pm
Quite often I'll throw in an extra 5x7 print or 2 to a client as a thankyou. Especially when they have been a big spender or I've enjoyed working with them. Having had a lot of experience in customer service I think the little extra can see them coming back :th3:

xkellie
17-10-2010, 8:38pm
i think a surprise gift is a lovely idea, in the right field (eg family portraiture, etc). i think the client would really appreciate it!

if you're interested, there's an awesome free template site with photoshop templates you can use with whcc or millers -
http://www.ewcouture.com/news-musings/2010/4/25/free-marketing-templates-for-photographers-aprils-free-downl.html

there's all kinds of high-quality free templates on the site, too, like business cards, rep cards, dvd covers, bookmarks, etc.

Raven
18-10-2010, 9:26am
I loooooove ewcoture :D

Charmed
18-10-2010, 9:29am
If you do the sending of Christmas cards thing
post them Christmas Eve

Why, whats the point ? You may ask.
Because ... If you send in the usual xmas mail, it gets lost in the crowd, & its just another card.
Send after, & clients get a kick out of it arriving late. You will be remembered.

Sobriquet
08-11-2010, 4:45pm
The surprise gift is a great idea, especially as we are working in a field where it is a good thing to build a relationship with a client. Plenty of businesses have been giving away pens etc for years. My suggestion would be a custom printed fridge photo frame (you can include the photo or not) and also use it discretely keep your details on hand. It might be a girl thing but nice packaging and being nice and being treated nice is going to get people to come back and be friendly. Even a little heart shaped chocolate or ..... check out all the different options you can get in promotional items, they are really quite sophisticated these days.