PDA

View Full Version : Vanuatu suggestions

dbose
12-10-2010, 4:45pm
Hi All

We will be heading off to Vanuatu in December this year. We are staying at the Iririki Island resort. Appears to be a separate island off Port Vila. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of some good spots to shoot from. I have heard that you do not get goo sunrise as the sun rises from behind the mountains(?) and is hardly visible - however Sunset is great. Any good spots or ideas to take some good photos would be greatly appreciated.

old dog
12-10-2010, 5:28pm
hi.....was there about seven years ago and it was a very nice place to holiday in. Plenty of places to shoot so don`t be concerned. The people are really friendly and you should get lots of candids especially at the big local food market just across the way on the mainland. have a good time.

BryanD
13-10-2010, 9:49am
Sunsets in Port Vila are as you say much better than sunrise for sure
iririki gets great views of the Sunsets

Cheers
BryanD

beckscj
22-10-2010, 10:25am
I went about 10 years back and we were able to do an around the island day tour. We saw a few of the villages and tried the local food and listened to the local music. Just fantastic. Plenty of spots to take photos and we even stopped in a secluded spot for a swim. A great day. And yes the local food market is pretty cool! The local brew is tasty too!

chris_m
22-10-2010, 3:09pm
The drive around the island is good, you should get to see a kustom dance at a local village as well. Very relaxed place and easy to get around.
They have a great local mini bus system, last on, last off. Cost you a gold coin and as long as they are going your way you get in, otherwise wait a few minutes and get ask the next one where they are going.

If you can do a trip to Tanna island and go to the Mt Yassu volcano make sure you do. Absolutely fantastic standing on the lip of an active volcano watching molten rocks spewing out of the ground.
You have to fly in and stay overnight but worth every cent.

We stayed at a village called White Grass I think, comfortable and good food, closer to the volcano than the other more expensive lodge. You have a 2 hour 4WD trip to the volcano and then a short walk to the edge and away you go.
You will need your tripod.

The only rule of volcano watching is, don't turn your back on the Volcano, rocks will fly over the top of the group and you need to see them so they dont hit you.
Cheers
Chris

crum
15-11-2010, 11:38pm
I was going to suggest tje Mt Yasur volcano also. We were there maybe 15 years ago and I still remember it was one of the most impressive and scary things I've ever experienced. Well worth the trip there

There was also a really nice set of falls on the main island which we visited but I can't remember what they were called

Danielle10
15-11-2010, 11:46pm
oooh good question - i will keep an eye on this thread.
We are going on a cruise in December and will be stopping there. (maybe I'll wave to you as we sail past LOL)

richie4540
20-11-2010, 6:25pm
Hi All

We will be heading off to Vanuatu in December this year. We are staying at the Iririki Island resort. Appears to be a separate island off Port Vila. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of some good spots to shoot from. I have heard that you do not get goo sunrise as the sun rises from behind the mountains(?) and is hardly visible - however Sunset is great. Any good spots or ideas to take some good photos would be greatly appreciated.

what dates are you there i have just booked to go for 8 days from the 25th so maybe i will met a fellow ap'er there.

richie

crum
21-11-2010, 11:49pm
The bunjee jumping at Pentecost Island would also be worth checking out if you have the time