PDA

View Full Version : Zeikos Battery Grips

kiwi
12-10-2010, 3:51pm
If you are in the market for battery grips, these come highly recomended. I just bought one for my new D300s (still in transit) after reading reviews from another place

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Zeikos-ZE-NBG300-Battery-Power-Grip-Nikon-D300-D700-NEW-/360287510463?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item53e2cf1fbf

maccaroneski
12-10-2010, 3:56pm
It would only need to be 1/4 as good as the genuine to make it worthwhile - the price of the genuine article is ridiculous...

I @ M
12-10-2010, 4:48pm
I'm a little unconvinced after reading their e$ay ad, the folowing quotation from the site fills me with trepidation.

Features:

* Flexible joints bend and rotate 360-degrees to form the perfect shape.
* The Gripster's lock ring enables extra security to ensure your camera is safely attached
* Rubberized ring & foot grips provide extra gripping power to grapple wherever you want to go
* Slim-line attachment stays connected to your camera and snaps into the Gripster for a nearly instant setup
* Intended for - Compact digital cameras

Also Darren, does it have the multi selector on the grip the same as the more well known brands (http://www.phottixstore.com/battery-pack/phottix-bg-d700.html)?

kiwi
12-10-2010, 5:03pm
Andrew, the reviews I have read say that functionally its the same at the MD-D10 and that build-wise it's 9/10 of the Nikon and significantly better than the Phottix ones of which I see varied reports

I'll give you a first hand review hopefully within a week or so

maccaroneski
12-10-2010, 5:09pm
I suspect Andrew that there is a *slight* issue with that description. I too have read good things about the Zeikos grips - would have bought one for my D90 however I got a good price second hand on the Nikon. Despite going genuine I had the well-reported issues about losing contact and had to do a bit of DIY on it.

The description given matches the Zeikos Gripster, a gorillapod knock-off.

kiwi
12-10-2010, 5:21pm
http://zeikos.com/copy/catalog/images/ZE-NBG300N%206.jpg

I @ M
12-10-2010, 5:43pm
I'm a bit lost for words, I pushed the button on that grip, payment by paypal (still sounds like dog food to me :D ) and the eb$y site invoice told me that I was up for $89.17 AUD.
The paypal email hit saying that my card had been debited to the tune of $88.57 AUD

kiwi
12-10-2010, 6:09pm
thatll be fx rate differences between theiir fx rate and current paypal rate

kiwi
12-10-2010, 6:10pm
still....bargain !!!

I @ M
12-10-2010, 6:13pm
thatll be fx rate differences between theiir fx rate and current paypal rate

Probably, but I am used to it going the other way, you know, the figure on the site says one thing and the paypal statement / invoice ends up being one sheepskin dollar more.

kiwi
12-10-2010, 9:02pm
hello,friend
thanks very much for your quick response
please don't worry
we will send your item to your mentioned address:
#
Darren white
Arana hills
QLD 4054
Australia
#
within 24 hours and it usually takes 10-15 working days
#
as it is an international transaction,it takes much longer time than in your local place
as sincere and honest seller
i hope for your understanding and your patience for your item
#
if there is any question,please feel free to contact us
#
#millions of thanks
nice day
#
spring

I @ M
19-10-2010, 6:23pm
I haven't bolted it to the camera yet but after unpacking and examining it I reckon it is on par with the "genuine" article.

And, quite frankly, the USPS puts Australia Post to absolute shame, about 5 days delivery time from New York to regional Vic.
Australia Post can't even guarantee next day express post from Melbourne to here. No wonder their profits are going through the floor.

kiwi
19-10-2010, 7:06pm
Hmmm, that's not fair, I'm still waiting for mine, glad it looks good though

Blueywa
19-10-2010, 10:18pm
I paid a 1/4 of the local RRP for my genuine MB-D10 grip, from HK via NZ .... the best accessory I've bought.
I use mine with just one battery in the grip itself.
The camera feels fantastic, without adding too much extra weight.
Dont think I would have bothered at the local RRP.

:)

kiwi
20-10-2010, 9:23pm
Mine arrived today, works good. I rare it 8/10 build wise, equal in functionality

LuzArt
20-10-2010, 11:53pm
Thanks for this thread, I'll take a serious look.

Ben

arthurking83
21-10-2010, 12:19am
interesting and verrry tempting.. but as a primarily landscaper, this is one area I think I prefer Nikon's magnesium version to these thirdparty offerings.

No point in bolting a thirdparty lens of dubious quality to a camera of pretty serious high quality, attached to a grip of dubious quality, tethered to a ballhead of insuffferable quality, connected to a tripod of great quality! :D

I just know that somewhere along the line, I'll just get frustrated with something and regret the decision.. eventually!

All I want is the extra batteries(ability) as the GPS is driving me nuts.. and my battery down.. waaay down.. all too quickly.

Australia Post can't even guarantee next day express post from Melbourne to here. No wonder their profits are going through the floor.

Isn't that all the way down past floor level, down into the dirt, through the tectonic plate, deeper into the mantle, past the molten core and beyond!.... into China?

Then again aren't all 'our' profits from the ground and below going to China!? :D

I @ M
21-10-2010, 2:18am
I gave it a test run and it performs well.
The shutter and aperture dials don't feel the same as the camera body dials ( comparison with a genuine D200 grip where the dials feel exactly the same as the camera body ) but they do the job.
Arthur, I don't reckon a grip added to the camera and then tripod mounted is an ideal solution for extra battery life as it only raises the C of G and adds another possible area of flex and vibration into the stability equation. Spare batteries in the back pack are a better option I reckon.
I bought it purely for the ease of use in vertical orientation and the design of this grip over previous versions makes it very quick and easy to change between gripped and not at a considerable $$ saving over the genuswine unit.

kiwi
21-10-2010, 8:47am
Just so you know, the genuine grips buttons feel very different to the body too, the shutter for example is way more sensitive

I can't seem to get the new grip working with the as batteries, I'll have to do more playing tonight

maccaroneski
21-10-2010, 10:08am
Just so you know, the genuine grips buttons feel very different to the body too, the shutter for example is way more sensitive

This is the case too with the genuine D90 grip, where I think that Nikon matches the build quality the cheap copy, rather than the flipside.

ving
21-10-2010, 10:41am
interesting read... :)

I @ M
22-10-2010, 7:44am
I can't seem to get the new grip working with the as batteries, I'll have to do more playing tonight

Any joy yet Darren?

arthurking83
22-10-2010, 10:14am

I'm assuming that should be AA batteries?

Have you checked the in camera settings.

CSM menu item D10: MB-D10 battery type gives you the types of batteries to set the grip to. Most likely due to the different voltages available, where rechargeable NiMH batteries are only 1.2 volt and alkaline batteries are 1.5V, if you;re using NiMH types the total voltage will be something like 7.2volts, whereas if you have the grip set to recognise alkaline batteries, it will want to measure 9volts. the camera subsequently thinks that the batteries are low on power.

CSM D11 allows you to set battery order too, if it's set to use the camera first and then the MB-D10 this could also be an issue.

kiwi
22-10-2010, 10:20am
Yes thanka AK, I did change that setting

Andrew had the same issue but fixed it by jiggling around with the contacts in the grip, I failed at that and its still not working with batteries but is fine with the EL-3

I @ M
22-10-2010, 11:38am
A copy of a message sent yesterday showing my findings with the lack of power from the AA battery tray -----------

Success!!!!!

But don't ask me which bit fixed it. :D

When I was attempting to find out where all the volts had gone I did several things in rapid succession and at the end of it all I have consistent 10. something volts at the terminals and the camera works.

When I was removing a battery one of these little black plastic thingys flew out of the terminal.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/Batt%20grip10-22-2010%2009-41-08.JPG

I thought that they may be preventing deep enough contact with the batteries so I removed them from the terminals ( red square area ) and at the same time I noticed that a terminal was sticking up and I pushed it down into place ( yellow circle ) and it seated with a definite click.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/Batt%20grip10-22-2010%2009-42-18.JPG

I also noticed that voltage is available at two points on the battery tray and there is a corresponding terminal inside the grip to one of the ones on the tray ( red squares ) as well as the top terminals ( yellow circle ) I gave all the terminals a bit of a gentle poke with a fine screw driver just to make sure they were all "springing" and between all those steps the AAs work fine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/Batt%20grip10-22-2010%2009-43-50.JPG

macmich
22-10-2010, 2:43pm
you might have a new carreer as a camera tech
cheers macca

reaction
25-10-2010, 8:42pm
do you leave your grips on permanently?
I hesitate to buy a grip since I'd need a new arca plate...

I @ M
25-10-2010, 8:56pm
do you leave your grips on permanently?
I hesitate to buy a grip since I'd need a new arca plate...

With the very very VERY quick detachable nature of the MB-D10, which in it's self is a vast improvement on things like the MB-D200, changing the camera from "gripped" to "gripless" is a quick and easy task.

Seriously, if you are hesitating about buying a grip because you may have to buy a new tripod plate, I feel that you need to think about one hell of a lot more than just "grips" to make your photography work.

reaction
25-10-2010, 9:27pm
There are a few that take 2 batteries and have IR remote support
http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Grip-Nikon-D700-D300s-D300-W-2-Stage-IR-Remote-/250693991399?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3a5e86bbe7

I @ M
25-10-2010, 9:30pm
There are a few that take 2 batteries and have IR remote support

So?

Tell me exactly how they are going to make your photography better.

N*A*M
25-10-2010, 9:35pm
well the d300 and d700 don't have IR support like the d90 and d5000 do
so yeah IR shooting would be great for some people's photography
a front and rear IR receiver would be nice though

reaction
25-10-2010, 9:40pm
So?

Tell me exactly how they are going to make your photography better.

dude, I thought this thread was about comparing battery grips and features?
when did it become whether my photography was going to get better or not? why the aggro? did I step on your toes somewhere?

I'm not made of money, and I'm capable of bending my arm to take portrait shots, if that offends you, I'm deeply sorry. I don't buy gadgets to make my photography better. I don't think anyone here thinks buying a grip will make their photography magically better. I hope that's not why you bought your grip.

I @ M
25-10-2010, 9:58pm
dude, this thread is about Zeikos battery grips and my questions to you are directly related to why you are hesitant about buying a battery grip on the grounds that it may require a new tripod mount plate and why does the fact that one brand carries two batteries and offers IR remote support going to produce better quality photos.

This is a forum, and I was merely asking a question as to why you thought that the grip that offers 2 batteries and IR support was going to make your photographs better than the one that was originally linked.

I am definitely not offended by the fact that you can bend your arm to take vertically oriented photos, but I do buy items of photographic equipment with a definite aim of improving the pictures I take. That is why I bought a battery grip, purely and simply to make taking vertically oriented images more level in the camera in the first place rather than having to straighten them later in PP.
Nope, a grip isn't going to make my images magically better but it will help by cutting down on errors at the start of the process.

reaction
26-10-2010, 7:22pm
Seriously, if you are hesitating about buying a grip because you may have to buy a new tripod plate, I feel that you need to think about one hell of a lot more than just "grips" to make your photography work.

I didn't know that a $100+ set of purchases shouldn't need any consideration before jumping in! Maybe it's pocket change to you, but for us non-professionals who don't make money from our photography that $100 can do a lot of other stuff.

FYI, most arca plates screw on with hex keys, not hand screws (for good reason). FYI, most buy shaped arca plates, which in this case is shaped to the Nikon grip, which I guess isn't exactly the same shape as these. You may not care for your type of photography, but some people do other types that do need plates that won't twist on the tripod.

Anyway, if nobody's allowed to talk about non-Zeikos brands, then I've overstayed my welcome on this thread, so I'll leave you to it. I'd just thought since you talked about the Phottix, and both those take ONE EN-EL3e, someone may be interested in a grip that allows powering their D300 with THREE EN-EL3e and remove the need to buy an IR receiver.

LuzArt
27-11-2010, 3:50pm
Just an open thanks to Darren for his link and report on the Zeiko grip. Mine just arrived and works great on my D700. I've only given it a test but I think I'll enjoy it in the field. The extra support for the 70-200/2.8 is great, the rubber grip itself is comfortable, buttons/dials work fine.

Highly recommended.

Ben

If you are in the market for battery grips, these come highly recomended. I just bought one for my new D300s (still in transit) after reading reviews from another place

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Zeikos-ZE-NBG300-Battery-Power-Grip-Nikon-D300-D700-NEW-/360287510463?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item53e2cf1fbf