PDA

View Full Version : CANON 8-15mm F4L Fisheye

ZedEx
12-10-2010, 8:04am
Just stumbled upon this new lens from Canon this morning. Trying to work out the reasoning behind it though. It's an L lens, but surely it isn't meant for a full-frame body like a 5D? If it were, then pretty much all of your zoom range would be between a whole circular picture in the centre of the frame, to varying crops of a circle (8mm fisheye on a full frame body is a total 'fisheye' circle). I think this is possibly designed more for APS-C bodies (even though it is an EF mount so will work either way)
Thoughts?

mikec
12-10-2010, 2:53pm
I think its been designed to suit both systems. It has a limiter for APS-C and APS-H bodies. 15mm will just be UWA on FF, like a 14mm or similar I'd imagine but with less distortion control. I can see that the 8mm would be interesting for some users on FF too. While I'm not craving to pick one up, I'm sure plently of people are. There is a good article here (http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082616canon8mm15mm.asp) on it.

fabian628
12-10-2010, 7:10pm
looks like a nice lens for different bodies. Especially aps-h since before all that was avaliable was either FF or 1.6 crop equivalent fisheyes.