PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a ball head or pan head?

wideangle
17-10-2007, 4:08pm
Hello Everyone

I was wondering what everyone uses on their tripods? I have a manfrotto setup and a rather old pan head so thought it was time to upgrade. I ended up going with the 488RC2 ball head option and have it on order, so hope its what Im after.

Echo63
17-10-2007, 4:31pm
at this very moment i have a slik panhead on my tripod, and a 488rc2 on my monopod.
when i go out with the tripod the heads get swapped, so i use the ballhead on both, and the panhead rarely gets used anymore

hoffy
17-10-2007, 4:41pm
I'm going to be interested to see the replies. I am thinking of a tripod before the year is out & dont really know what to go for in relation to the head.

I would tend to think that I would be happy with a pan head, but do want to know what all the fuss is about with a ball head

Bax
17-10-2007, 5:14pm
I've got an old tripod that has the pan head, can't change it.

But I'm looking at spending some money at the end of the year, ball head it will be.
Just an easier range of movement.

ricktas
17-10-2007, 5:47pm
I have BOTH.. I find the ball head is much faster to adjust, but as you lock it in sometimes you still get a slight bit of movement (using a manfrotto 222 hea). The Pan and tilt head tends to stay put as you lock it in.

Both are good and i really couldnt say i have a favourite at all!

AmyK
17-10-2007, 7:18pm
I have a Velbon Sherpa 600R with a pan and tilt head (don't remember the exact head model).

I bought it last Friday for $169 from Stallards Camera House, and I'm really happy with it.

And so far the head on it is going okay for me :) I haven't any real need to move it quickly, and it doesn't move at all once I lock it into place.

mpot
17-10-2007, 10:26pm
I have a Giottos MH5001 pan-tilt head on my Slik Pro 500 DX tripod.

When trying out a heap of different heads at the camera shop, I preferred the pan-tilt to the ball head.

Cheers,
Martin.

SpaceJunk
18-10-2007, 5:31am
I prefer using a ballhead, much faster to set up , especially if the ground is sloping or uneven, and only one knob to lock position.

NSWESP
18-10-2007, 7:24am
I use a Giottos ballhead with a panning base to allow it to swivel for panning or be used as a ball head.

earthairfire
18-10-2007, 12:28pm
I use the Manfrotto 322RC2 most the time and LOVE it! If you've not had a go, make sure you do, most people i know who have tried one have bought one!

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2319?livid=80|81&idx=83

Tim

arthurking83
18-10-2007, 8:59pm
I had a pan head once!!.. but I learned my lesson, and haven't made that mistake ever again! :p
Don't get me wrong!! I love pan heads... but only when video-ing now.

I ended up getting a 488RC ballhead too, but found like Rick, small amounts of movement were a little harder. I wasn't happy(at all! :()

I tried a 468MGRC hydrostatic head, and what a difference!(compared to the 488)
Infinitesimally minuscule adjustments are made easy, even on the 500mm because the friction control adjustment knob allows you a more fluid adjustment(like on a pan head)

Damn expensive things though, considering they aren't proper 'Pro grade' heads.. but for me ATM..... it's close enough.

488 is a good head, depending on your requirements. But I wouldn't use it on a lens that is too long(400mm or more) or too big 70-200mm f/2.8 sized lens. I think it's only pushing the boundary of adequacy for such use, compared to the 468MG series.

Sar NOP
18-10-2007, 9:38pm
I use Dietmar Nill head on my Dutch Hill tripod or my Manfrotto 190B monopod.
This is a very tough and stable head ! And I can mount another body on it as well.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/303/az00095resizesf9.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6600/ca57685resize839nx2.jpg

AdamR
18-10-2007, 9:47pm
I am liking the idea of a ball head. But the reason I post is just to comment to Sar NOP that I have taken photos from the exact spot at Homebush. Its a lovely area.

Adam

Sar NOP
18-10-2007, 9:54pm
I am liking the idea of a ball head. But the reason I post is just to comment to Sar NOP that I have taken photos from the exact spot at Homebush. Its a lovely area.

Adam

Yep, lovely spot !:)
If one day you come across the same gears at the same area it'll probably be me...:D

MarkW
20-10-2007, 2:15pm
I use the MF488 ball head but I also use a Kirk L bracket for changes between portrait and landscape. Ball heads are great for their ability in single action multiplane movements but when it comes to changing into portrait mode, they suc and for that matter so do pan heads.
L brackets are the only way to chnage between formats.

sar NOP or ADam, where abouts at HB Bay are you shooting? I work just up the road (cnr pomeroy st & underwood rd) and I cant quite place the spot.

Sar NOP
20-10-2007, 3:27pm
sar NOP or ADam, where abouts at HB Bay are you shooting? I work just up the road (cnr pomeroy st & underwood rd) and I cant quite place the spot.

I usually go shooting in Bicentennial park, but the best spots for birds are the wetlands at the northern end of the park and the mudflats of Homebush Bay. There is a boardwalk through the mangroves which leads to a saltmarsh. Many species can be spotted in these areas.

MarkW
20-10-2007, 5:56pm
Thanks sar, I might have to go for a walk during lunch one day:)

LEIGHTON
23-05-2010, 1:21pm
In terms of ease of use, which is better? ballheads, pan and tilt, joystick?

Kym
23-05-2010, 1:42pm
3 way pan/tilt has the best control.
Ball (easier) is better for fast action.

See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24053

RaoulIsidro
13-07-2010, 8:22pm
I switched to ball heads a long time ago.
Great fast setting, specially with new cameras having the leveling indicator on the screen. It has also the standard bubble level on the mount.
I have a special Manfrotto flash/umbrella QR mount to swap camera, speedlight or brollie!
Ball heads give precise and quick lighting angles when used on mounted flash or snoots.

Tip: Those mount stands that come with those speedlights can be mounted on QR Plates! Yay!

James Axford
13-07-2010, 9:57pm
RRS bh-55 and the bh-40 ball heads
Use the 55 for my larger tripod and the 40 for my smaller one.
Can't comment on a pan, bit I know I'd never get one as I can use mine as one anyway. Very happy with both heads.

Remorhaz
14-07-2010, 12:51pm
I have a Manfrotto 190 PRO B Tripod and when I purchased it I bought the 460MG Three Way head which I mostly used for stitched panorama work. Having purchased my first DSLR about 9 months ago I gave in and recently (a few months ago) bought the 488RC4 ball head and switched to that and I'd never go back - the ball head is soooo much faster for adjustments and it has built in levels and degree markings for rotations to still allow me to do the panos.

arnica
15-07-2010, 10:00am
I use Dietmar Nill head on my Dutch Hill tripod or my Manfrotto 190B monopod.
This is a very tough and stable head ! And I can mount another body on it as well.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/303/az00095resizesf9.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6600/ca57685resize839nx2.jpg

I never did believe in overkill ... I guess that solves the problem of using 2 tripods.

bigdazzler
15-07-2010, 10:54am
Manfrotto 322RC2 for me .. :th3:

forjahwarrior
16-07-2010, 6:13pm
I got a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 322RC2 ball head from wifey last Christmas. After using a mates Manfrotto tripod (with pan/tilt head) and many less well made others, I couldn't get anything that was less quality. Both the tripod and head are a joy to use, though on the heavy side when hiking! One slightly frustrating shortcoming is the lack of pan control with the 322RC2. I knew about this prior and figured for the amount of filming I actually do, I'd take the more ergonomic option.

You can't beat the ease of adjustment using a good ball head (as long as it's rated to handle the weight of your setup). To combine that with the panning base of the 488RC2 would be spot on - you should be very happy with your knew head (though you don't get the fun trigger action).

NikonUser
16-07-2010, 6:38pm
I use a ballhead for my shorter lenses (12-300mm) and a Manfrotto 393 for my 500mm.

I need a new ballhead as I'm just using an old benro one so far.

Paul