PDA

View Full Version : Slow shutter speeds in daylight

karigen
07-10-2010, 12:13pm
The other day I was playing around with the camera and trying to take pics of stuff moving in the middle of the day. I wanted the movement to show in the picture (to blur) not freeze. I was using Tv mode and had my shutter speed on about 1 or 2 seconds (i think) so that I could get the movement that I wanted. The pics came out over exposed because the aperture couldnt go smaller than f/22. ISO was 100.
I don't have any filters for my lenses, but as I understand, you can get neutral density filters of varying degrees that kind of act like sunglasses for the lens. Would this solve my problem?
Are there any other solutions for getting the right exposure for a slow shutter speed when there's too much light?

Old Skool
07-10-2010, 12:19pm
Maybe too long a shutter speed, depending on what you're shooting 1/20 sec should show movement, other way is to pan the shot to follow the subject if it is moving so the background blurs.

ZedEx
07-10-2010, 8:48pm
Take the plunge and buy an ND400 or ND500 filter. Well worth the investment if you're looking to do blurs during the day. Also, it's much better to avoid using very tight apetures like f22 due to diffraction (your pictures won't be as sharp as they would be at say f8).