PDA

View Full Version : Adorama, B&H, etc.

BillW
06-10-2010, 9:35pm
With the $Aus riding high, American sites are attractive.

For lenses, what experiences have folks had with outfits such as these? If a lens comes with a USA warranty, what is the significance, if any? Their USA and "imported" prices are very close.

B&H seems to offer the option of adding our GST. Haven't checked this with Adorama. Any experience one way or the other? How about refurbished with rrespect to GST/Customs? Can this change the status of the camera?

And finally, how do they rate compared with, say, DWI, Citiwide, DD, etc.?

Bill

Wayne
06-10-2010, 10:11pm
Both B&H and Adorama are among the best known camera sellers worldwide, and often among the cheapest. The only downside, the both charge huge freight prices, and they won't tell fibs to customs on the import declaration, which means you pay 10% GST on any purchase where the total cost including freight >AUD$1K.

The HK & Asian based sellers, DWI, Citiwide, DD Photo will often be a bit cheaper, but offer less personal service, however they are usually happy to "adjust" the invoice cost to help you out with larger purchases and the 10% GST customs would like to charge you. All are reasonably reputable, and I have purchased from all of them personally with the exception of DD.

swifty
07-10-2010, 12:52pm
One thing about DD is that they have a physical store in Aust and their prices are GST inclusive. Which means if u r going overseas within 30 days of purchase, u can claim back the GST. You can't with companies where the product is sent from overseas.
There have been a few discussions lately about the whole warranty business so do a search for it.
Broadly speaking for digital products - warranted only by the sellers. Lenses and speedlights - may/should be warranted by manufacturer if bought non-gray.

Regnis
07-10-2010, 1:58pm
B & H is a fantastic store and i would highly recommend them. I was in their New York City store only 3 weeks ago and it was possibly the best shop I have ever been in!!

The best thing to do with B & H, when ordering from Australia, is to order to an american address (if you know someone over there), Most often the shipping is free within the US. Then get your friend to send the gear over.

Psycronic
09-10-2010, 12:01pm
I was just looking at some stuff from adorama, but $70 postage on a SD card case is a little to much.

It is a pity they won't ship using USPS, as a lot of time items will come through without a need to pay GST (For stuff over $1k), where as UPS will charge you the GST and a fee for handling it

HelenOster
10-10-2010, 12:08pm
I was just looking at some stuff from adorama, but $70 postage on a SD card case is a little to much.

It is a pity they won't ship using USPS, as a lot of time items will come through without a need to pay GST (For stuff over $1k), where as UPS will charge you the GST and a fee for handling it

We do ship USPS - but nothing over $100 US value, as it isn't covered by insurance.

If you are looking to order a low value item drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com with the SKU # of the item you are interested in and I'll advise you of the shipping costs.

wmphoto
14-10-2010, 7:27pm
Well I've just ordered some gear off Adorama so I'll let you know my thoughts soon. I agree with their shipping being high (very high). I regularly buy cycling gear out of the UK and shipping is anywhere from free to about $30 (about $100 for a bike or wheels). But Adorama just charged me $60 shipping on $110 worth of gear which is a bit steep. However, with the AUD almost at parity I still saved about $100 even with the shipping included.

HelenOster
14-10-2010, 8:37pm
Well I've just ordered some gear off Adorama so I'll let you know my thoughts soon. I agree with their shipping being high (very high). I regularly buy cycling gear out of the UK and shipping is anywhere from free to about $30 (about $100 for a bike or wheels). But Adorama just charged me $60 shipping on $110 worth of gear which is a bit steep. However, with the AUD almost at parity I still saved about $100 even with the shipping included.

Next time please email me first!

wmphoto
14-10-2010, 8:44pm
Next time please email me first!

Thanks Helen, I will (I found this thread and your post after I had ordered).

Bercy
15-10-2010, 11:34am
I have previously ordered from Adorama, Tri-State and Amazon. I have received the gear in good order, in good time and well packed. I did ahve to pay GST on a large order and, but the shipping costs are amortised accordingly. Adorama packed this gear very well - I know it seems like a minor detail, but if you get a crunched up box holding a $1,000 lens it is a bit of a worry. With Adorama it boxed in a box with ++ cushioning material. You might pay more for P&H but doing it properly is worth it. From some other E-bay sellers, things are reasonably packed, but not like Adorama. I might note, as an aside, I had a non-arrival from amazon, and I notified them, thinking they just say "bad luck" or "was it insured", but no; a repalcement was shipped immediately and on trust. That's the way to keep a customer!

wmphoto
19-10-2010, 12:43am
Four days from the US to WA, I'm impressed Adorama (you've got another 2 orders coming your way :D). Since my posts above I have done some more searching of the net and Helen must be congratulated on how active she is on this and other forums, in an effort to maintain good customer service. Well done, another satisfied customer.

Allan Ryan
19-10-2010, 7:41am
Will look at Adorama - alway need new gear - Tax return is on the way :p

rellik666
19-10-2010, 8:26am
Just another one for Adorama, didn't buy from them this time as DWI dropped their prices. But would happily use them again....and yes packaging is very very good.

Roo

Cheach
26-10-2010, 8:06pm
I ordered my new Manfrotto tripod and head from B&H on the 10/10/10 but selected USPS delivery. I understand that it takes significantly longer compare to UPS or FedEx. Has anyone had any experience with USPS and how long did it take for your delivery?

wmphoto
26-10-2010, 8:08pm
I've ordered 3 times off Adorama in the last 2 weeks and all deliveries were by UPS taking 4 days to get to Perth.

Cheach
29-10-2010, 4:06pm
hmm News are not good for me, according to our local post office guy, USPS international delivery are not reliable at all. Apparently parcels goes missing all the time and especially during Christmas period. and if it is a registered post, i can expect it in January. :eek:

Hope this is not true or I can kiss $700 (Manfrotto legs, head and bag from B&H) goodbye :crossed:

forjahwarrior
03-11-2010, 12:12pm
I ordered a Manfrotto tripod and ball head from B and H, only I got it sent to someone in the US (for free), then they shipped it out to me - saved an extra bit of cash doing it that way.

rellik666
03-11-2010, 1:01pm
Oh I hope not as I have a Black Rapid on its way withe USPS! I do miss the ability to track it!

Roo

Michaela
03-11-2010, 1:53pm
hmm News are not good for me, according to our local post office guy, USPS international delivery are not reliable at all. Apparently parcels goes missing all the time and especially during Christmas period. and if it is a registered post, i can expect it in January. :eek:

Hope this is not true or I can kiss $700 (Manfrotto legs, head and bag from B&H) goodbye :crossed:

I've never had a problem with USPS - things can take a little longer, but nothing I've ordered has ever failed to turn up. :)

Cheach
04-11-2010, 2:46am
Thanks Michaela. I keep saying to myself my local post office guy is new to the business (he bought the business beginning of the year) and don't know what he is talking about.

Well... I can sleep better tonight :D

Cheers
Rob

ricktas
04-11-2010, 7:02am
Remember if ordering, click through the links from AP, as commission is then paid, which helps pay to keep AP online:

www.adorama.com (http://www.adorama.com/?kbid=63860)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/advertising/Adorama-2.jpg (http://www.adorama.com/?kbid=63860)

www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=2316&KBID=3118)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/advertising/bh_professionalcamerascopy.jpg (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=2316&KBID=3118)

You can click the above, or from any banner ad as they rotate on the site, or go to the site advertisers page (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13499-Ausphotography-Site-Advertisers) to find them. The quickest way to the site advertiser page is to click the 'site sponsors' button that appears between the banner ads at the top and bottom of AP site pages

Cheach
04-11-2010, 10:04pm
That's exactly what I did with B&H Rick. :th3:

wmphoto
05-11-2010, 12:02am
x 3 for Adorama Rick. :th3::th3::th3:

Cheach
06-11-2010, 12:28am
I ordered a Manfrotto tripod and ball head from B and H, only I got it sent to someone in the US (for free), then they shipped it out to me - saved an extra bit of cash doing it that way.

Yeah I was thinking the same but I don't know anyone in the US :(

Cheach
08-11-2010, 10:26pm
Thank you B&H!

Got my order today. :th3:

rellik666
09-11-2010, 7:47am
Yeah I was thinking the same but I don't know anyone in the US :(

There are sites that will do that for you, like a forwarder, they charge about 5% of cost to do it though.

Roo

Cheach
09-11-2010, 8:56am
There are sites that will do that for you, like a forwarder, they charge about 5% of cost to do it though.

Roo

Do you have one that you can recommend. Rather go with one that are tested and trustworthy.

Shelley66
10-11-2010, 7:19pm
I just tried to order a 24-70 lens from Amazon and had trouble with the shipping. I sent an email and the reply was that they dont ship to Australia. Why would that be??

ricktas
10-11-2010, 7:21pm
I just tried to order a 24-70 lens from Amazon and had trouble with the shipping. I sent an email and the reply was that they dont ship to Australia. Why would that be??

Could be any number of reasons, including a contract with Canon due to warranty and not shipping internationally etc. You would need to ask Amazon why.

Milbs1
11-11-2010, 11:01am
Just received my new Sigma 10-20, lowepro versapack and a few extras like cards, battery, filter, etc.
Adorama were great, ordered Thursday night and arrived in Perth on Tuesday. I was impressed that they did a "bundle" deal on the lens with free filter and cleaning kit and it was still the cheapest deal that I could find. I also didn't think that the postage charged was too excessive (it was a big box) at $80. Thanks Adorama and thank you strong AUD!

Cheryl A
14-04-2011, 8:06pm
Wish I had seen this thread before my recent order, of which I'm waiting delivery. I will remember this in future as I have bought from B&H a couple of times and I've had absolutely nothing to complain about. Adorama have some great prices too.

HelenOster
14-04-2011, 8:51pm
Thanks Adorama!

Wish I'd seen this last-but-one post earlier, too. Thanks SO much for your feedback, which is highly appreciated.

BTW if you ever need advice, or after-sales support, with any order from Adorama, I'm only ever an email away: Helen@adorama.com

Mary Anne
15-04-2011, 7:58am
I ordered from Adorama through this site on Wednesday I have never bought anything from them before.
Though did get a email on the 14th to say its on its way.

Ordered from Corel just before midnight 31st March received parcel Tuesday morning April 5 quite surprised really I though it would take longer *Free Postage too that week*

reaction
15-04-2011, 12:46pm
watch out cuz grey imports don't have internationally warranty. when you buy from B&H etc they can sell you a 'local US' or grey import for cheaper. the 'local US' will have internationally warranty even tho to us it's an import.

Of course some brands don't do internationally warranty anyway.

Mary Anne
18-04-2011, 4:33pm
Received my order from Adorama today..

HelenOster
19-04-2011, 1:11am
Received my order from Adorama today..

Excellent! Hope all is well with your order, but if you need any after-sales support, don't hesitate to drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com

Bennymiata
02-05-2011, 6:45pm
I've bought stuff from B and H and have been very happy with the service and the goods.
The freight may sound a bit high, but is only a few dollars more than many Hong Kong sellers.
If you are only buying $20 worth of stuff, then it's very high, but if you are buying thousands of $$$ worth, then it's cheap.

As far as warranty goes with B and H, if you send it back, they 'll send you a new one.

Irru
02-05-2011, 6:56pm
With the $Aus riding high, American sites are attractive.

For lenses, what experiences have folks had with outfits such as these? If a lens comes with a USA warranty, what is the significance, if any? Their USA and "imported" prices are very close.

B&H seems to offer the option of adding our GST. Haven't checked this with Adorama. Any experience one way or the other? How about refurbished with rrespect to GST/Customs? Can this change the status of the camera?

And finally, how do they rate compared with, say, DWI, Citiwide, DD, etc.?

Bill

I've had 2 excellent experiences with B&H. Both times the lens arrived in 4 days, and I saved lots of money - with the dollar as it is it was cheaper by far than Hong Kong stock (Panasonic lenses). I picked the "UPS Worldwide saver" option for the courier - there are two options offering 3-5 days and this was the cheapest.

I'm going to order a macro lens in the next day or so as well, because I know I will buy one eventually anyway so I may as well do it now while it is cheapest.

reaction
12-05-2011, 4:14pm
Well you know adorama and b&h are quite similar, usually one is cheaper item and more costly shipping, etc. But it's interesting adorama has sent us a rep to help out here. Still, the first one to solve the shipping cost will win big. If they can ship free within US, there must be some leeway for us.

BUGSnBIRDS
13-05-2011, 7:40am
Well you know adorama and b&h are quite similar, usually one is cheaper item and more costly shipping, etc. But it's interesting adorama has sent us a rep to help out here. Still, the first one to solve the shipping cost will win big. If they can ship free within US, there must be some leeway for us.

Yes, the shipping free within US but not a reduced item rate for international irks me a bit and I recently made comments to that effect in a B&H survey. But guess it makes it too complicated as to what the price would be for international based on country so guess that is the way it goes. if you can save up and buy a few things the postage isn't too bad but for a single item it's not cheap.

I purchased a Think tank product from Hunts recently - B&H don't stick TT and Adorama's shipping was huge. Took a little longer to come being a big item and not trackable but there was no stock in Aus that I could find and as I wanted the bag for a coming trip I went ahead with it. Even with shipping it was still fair price.

I ordered Monday from B&H and it should arrive this coming Monday. The service is great. I buy locally as well and recently established a good rapport with a camera shop which is well worth having too.
The aus dollar is very good at the moment.

HelenOster
13-05-2011, 7:59am

If you would ever like an item USPS you only need drop me an email.

We are currently in discussion with 3 separate providers to come up with a better deal for our Australian customers - which would be accessible via the Adorama website, but in the meantime, there is me: Helen@adorama.com

reaction
13-05-2011, 5:12pm
Helen, I notice the adorama ebay seller doesn't shop here. Is this something you can fix, as I have a coupon for ebay that would work well for ridiculously expensive stuff :D?

Doninoz
13-05-2011, 5:38pm
Even though I have a Canon 5D Mk II I wanted a compact but one that is reasonably good quality. So I have just purchased a Canon Powershot SX 30IS...Looked at Adorama and B&H (got accounts with both) but the freight left cost more than Australian Disty...Finally haggled with JB HIFI and got mine with an 16Gb Class 10 memory card and another battery for $AU446.00. Now you can't beat that.

Just on the query about warranty issues. As a Canon Pro, I never buy a body that's not covered by Australian warranty as Canon will not even look at it for a price! All lens though, are covered by international agreement and if you buy a lens overseas and something goes wrong, canon will honour the warranty (or at least that's my experience). They will also calibrate the lens to your body free of charge.

I have dealt with DWI and find them prompt and good prices. This time their freight, even though only $35.00 took it over picking it up free from the local JB HiFi shop.

To bypass the high postage with Adorama and B&H, I have had them ship free to a contact in the US and then separately shipped to me. I found that to be about 25% of the quoted cost. I think a lot of dealers put a lot on handling...don't know about the 2 big ones.

I'm Glad Helen spoke up so I will try her next time. I am in the market for a couple of lens...just sold a couple of camera so got the money! (And Helen you will know me because my user name is the same for you as it is here so expect an email soon.

reaction
13-05-2011, 6:29pm
if you buy from overseas they are often grey grey imports, especially in asia. eg you may get hk invoice on a european product. that totally voids any warranty you expect to have.

in that sense the big ones are safer as you get valid international warranty. handling is ridiculous though. I have friends in usa but wouldn't know how to get usd over to them.

ricktas
13-05-2011, 7:30pm
if you buy from overseas they are often grey grey imports, especially in asia. eg you may get hk invoice on a european product. that totally voids any warranty you expect to have.

in that sense the big ones are safer as you get valid international warranty. handling is ridiculous though. I have friends in usa but wouldn't know how to get usd over to them.

Isn't that the reason grey exists. Basically you get a cheaper product, but lose on warranty etc. Nothing new in your post that adds to the discussion here at all. As for getting money to them in the USA, easy do it via PAYPAL!

reaction
13-05-2011, 9:16pm
Isn't that the reason grey exists. Basically you get a cheaper product, but lose on warranty etc. Nothing new in your post that adds to the discussion here at all. As for getting money to them in the USA, easy do it via PAYPAL!

No, you miss the point.

B&H send you a US lens with US invoice, you get valid international warranty.
DWI send you a JP lens with HK invoice, you get nothing

both are grey imports for you here

for people like Doninoz, do it the wrong way and you find out later your international warranty doesn't exist.

eg DDP are JP stock, T-dim are EU stock, it's hard to know really...

Tommo1965
14-05-2011, 12:02am
anyone had any warranty claims for items bought from Digital Revue ?...if you by from their online shop , they state that if you need a repair..take it and get it fixed and they will refund you the money...if you buy from their ebay shop..everything is return to base for warranty claims ...

I just bought a 1.7TC from them..and after a small delay due to a paypal issue and unconfirmed address { even though it is !} ..the item only took three days to get here...

the TC was $400AU..my Local shop was $650...I still buy from my local shop...even if they are a few dollars more...but $250 was too much of a difference .
I do find though , that once the shipping is taken into account...plus currency conversion rates are applied ...some items are not much difference at the local bloke

ricktas
14-05-2011, 7:19am
anyone had any warranty claims for items bought from Digital Revue ?...if you by from their online shop , they state that if you need a repair..take it and get it fixed and they will refund you the money...if you buy from their ebay shop..everything is return to base for warranty claims ...

Do you mean Digital Rev? As Digital Revue is not a site advertiser.

Tommo1965
14-05-2011, 9:20am
yes, digital rev...sorry I didn't realize that this thread was in the site advertisers area....I linked to it from a new post search and didn't take any notice of the threads location:o

Doninoz
14-05-2011, 10:18am
I say again, I am pretty sure other companies follow the same principle as Canon...I know Nikon (Maxwell) do...if you buy a grey market body, they won't even service it for a price...in other words, you can take it there and be prepared to pay them, they will still say they won't do anything because it is grey market! I've had lens from overseas (B&H) and they have serviced that (for a cost) because there is an international agreement on lens and other peripherals. It's just not worth the risk buying camera bodies overseas. Companies here are prepared to bargain so you have to go out and bargain or buy one of Adorama's/B&H Mack international warranty at least.

I @ M
14-05-2011, 10:32am
.I know Nikon (Maxwell) do...if you buy a grey market body, they won't even service it for a price...in other words, you can take it there and be prepared to pay them, they will still say they won't do anything because it is grey market!

Don, Nikon and Maxwell are two entirely separate entities in Australia these days. As for having grey market Nikon bodies serviced at a cost to you, the authorised service agents for Nikon in Melbourne are quite happy to take your dollars from you and if you have a Mack warranty they will be the ones performing the work as well.