PDA

View Full Version : paper (who prints anymore anyway)

Bercy
06-10-2010, 5:26pm
"Can you e-mail me that shot", does leave me a little dissatisfied. I really marvel at very high quality prints; the sort you might see at professional photography galleries. The good thing about digital photography is that no longer to you have to suffer two wads of crappy prints of some party (it was funny on the night I'm sure). If someone has to print them maybe there will be a couple of exceptional shots! I use a a Canon 9950 A3 printer, not the best for longevity of prints, and a host of papers (yet to find the ultimate). I mostly like Harmon. The better Canon papers are good. What printer/paper combination do you like best - I would like to upgrade to a pigment printer one day! :umm:

JohnB5319
06-10-2010, 9:51pm
I used to be a Canon affectionaddo (and still have a couple of functioning printers in normal use). But I just couldn't seem to get the printed pic to match the screen pic - despite different screen and printer profiling arrangements.

I then switched to an Epson 3880 and Bingo! - great results first time. Admittedly, I also started using a Mac at that time but I think the key things were the supplied profiles. I did recently get a profile for the Canon (MP970) I have which has greatly improved its output.

I went for the 3880 rather than the 2880 because of the small ink tanks size on the 2880 and the value of the included ink on the 3880 meant I virtually paid nothing for the dearer (and larger) printer. The size of the tank is particularly important as Epsons use different ink tanks for Matt and Gloss black and ink is lost each time the swap takes place. A couple of swaps and the tank would be telling you its empty regardless of how many prints you'd done, from what I read. HAving said that, a full set of tanks costs the best part of $1000! There's also the R1900.

I use mostly Epson papers but have used the better Canon papers as well.

ricktas
06-10-2010, 10:07pm
I like Canson papers. Whilst the glossy paper is good, I like the textures and fibres of some of the other papers. Canson produces a nice range of papers in the Canson Infinity range, including a ink jet compatible canvas.

Bercy
06-10-2010, 10:39pm
Thanks Rick and John - I have toyed upping the ante with printers, but guess I would have to wait for this Canon to bite the dust. It never clogs, jams, streaks, bands, clunks - nothing. The thing is nearly indestructible. I have a couple of packs of Harmon matte and glossy, for those special prints - after I go through those I will get the Cansons a go. If I win Lotto I'll get an Epson mothership (I guess that means I would be having to buy a ticket!)

MajickStudio
06-10-2010, 10:50pm
Hi Bercy,
I use an Epson 9800 & can't fault it ... all forms of media are quite expensive though & I have used many different types of paper with it and as long as you have everything calibrated & ICC profiles from your paper supplier it works every time. Good luck on the x-lotto .... buying a ticket would help ... :lol2:

kiwi
06-10-2010, 11:46pm
I have an epson r1800 and usually print on epson premium paper....no complaints apart tom it's quite exe at I fugure close to $10 for each a3 and $3 for each a4

ricktas
07-10-2010, 7:48am
I have an epson r1800 and usually print on epson premium paper....no complaints apart tom it's quite exe at I fugure close to $10 for each a3 and $3 for each a4

agree is it quite expensive to print a lot at home.

ricktas
07-10-2010, 7:50am
Also something to consider is permanency etc. No use printing at home to find that the combination of ink and paper you are using doesnt have longevity and in a few years the print has faded to the point that it would be embarassing to say 'this is one of my photos'

Worth checking out http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ and looking at the longevity of your printer inks on the papers you are using. Some are rated for only a few years, whilst others can last well over 100 years. I know which ones I would not use any more cause of this site.

kiwi
07-10-2010, 8:42am
True.

Although it's exe, I don't think there's a better feeling than taking a great shot, processing it, self printing, and then displaying. Makes you feel like a true artist.

Bercy
07-10-2010, 11:23am
Good points about longevity - and Kiwi has succinctly stated why we get such satisfaction from the craft. Dozens of my pictures from photoshoots adorn peoples walls, under glass. I used Ilford papers or Canon Pro with my Canon printer. However the longevity is questionable in my view. I figure they will last a fair time because of the paper and mounting. I think the Epson 3880 might have to be on my wish list though!!