PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D3100 has arrived

bconolly
06-10-2010, 2:19pm
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to say that my D3100 has arrived along with the twin lens kit. Haven't played much yet (still reading the manual) :)

First impressions, bearing in mind that this is my first DSLR and I'm upgrading from a Canon S5 IS are:
1) Very light. Even with the lens (18-55mm), card and battery, it's not much heavier than the Canon. Even my wife was comfortable with the weight (which had previously been her biggest concern with other DSLR's)
2) Quick compared to the Canon (to be expected) both in terms of the auto focus, time between shots and starting up
3) Very easy to use which is what I was chasing
4) View finder is nice and clear

Will be taking some shots on the weekend as a better test. In the meantime if there's anything in particular people would like me to try out / ask, please let me know!

BC

RaoulIsidro
06-10-2010, 3:54pm
A fun camera!
Here's a movie tip!
Set your lens to 18mm and your aperture to f8 and focus about 10 feet from you, then put the lens on MF. Set the mode to program or the green rectangle.
Go Live View and press the shutter button to start recording.
Everything from 4 feet to infinity will be in focus!
Great for kids, play, or even chasing birds!
Press shutter to stop recording.
Movies eat gigabytes like vegemite...:)

RaoulIsidro
06-10-2010, 5:32pm
... oh correction: I meant to say press the "OK" button instead of the shutter button to start recording a movie. The shutter button will only take a picture... :Doh:

bconolly
06-10-2010, 5:34pm
Thanks for the tip - will definitely put that to the test ASAP!

BC