PDA

View Full Version : Canon 500D and speedlights

Redback200
06-10-2010, 1:52pm
Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking of getting a speedlight for my Canon 500D but I want to be able to set it up on the side as a slave. I have seen where for a 7D a Nissin Di866 will slave off that, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it will do the same for a 500D.

Also what model speedlight/flash units would you guys recomend?

Thanks.

Redback200
06-10-2010, 1:53pm
I would also like to say that money is a consideration. I would be looking at getting 2 for less then $500.

MarkChap
06-10-2010, 2:16pm
Short Answer - NO

The 7D and now the 60D are the only 2 Canon bodies with built in flash control.
There are other ways, OC-E3, off camera cord - Retains ETTL
Radio triggers - loses ETTL

andylo
06-10-2010, 2:33pm
I thought the ST-E2 unit will do a wireless connection and retains ETTL. But I have read somewhere that buy a 580EXII to do so instead as the ST-E2 is crap.

There are Radio triggers (to name a couple: Radiopopper and PocketWizard) will do wireless and retain ETTL BUT ONLY with the more high end model.

A cheapie Ebay radio trigger claims they can do wireless and retain ETTL - but already been reported it is not compatible on certain canon cameras. The link as below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230477679472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Long story short -
If you a loaded and handy: high end model Radiopopper or PocketWizard

If you a loaded but NOT handy: get a 580EXII as control

If you are NOT loaded, like me :p -- OC-E2/OC-E3 (or the OC-E3 equivalence on ebay)

RaoulIsidro
06-10-2010, 3:42pm
The ST-E2 and the 580 EX II will trigger any EX ETTL compatible slave flash. (including old EX models)
All current Canon speedlights, except the 270 EX, are capable of being slaves.
The ETTL and ETTL II controls on newer camera models are on the camera.
Because Canon speedlights use Optical Pulse Transmission to achieve ETTL, it is important that a certain limited "line of sight" be used for wireless flash. This is where the complaints from users eminate, as the signals are lost due to objects, walls, furniture getting in the way.
The more expensive method is using radio signals, in which Pocket Wizzards are one brand currently in vogue.

Redback200
06-10-2010, 4:43pm
Thanks for the answers. I had a feeling that it might be the case since I wasn't having any luck in finding it out on the net/manual.

I might try the Di866 as master and Di622 as slave..hopefully they will come in for under $500.

Bercy
07-10-2010, 11:02am
I did use a STE2 until I lost it somewhere. I have ordered a radio trigger. These do not allow eTTL but what the heck. If you are using off camera flash you are probably staging the shot to some extent, especially if multiple flashes are in use. In which case, there will either be enough light to allow the camera to get a fix on auto focus or you can manual focus. As for exposure, a flash meter is one way or, blessed be the digitial revolution, you can take a few shots and look at what you have and study the histogram. There are lots of ways of doing things; if you just want the camera separated from the flash, a handle or friendly helper and a flash sync cord are terrific, as mentioned already.