PDA

View Full Version : D5000 died

BushieBruce
05-10-2010, 6:07pm
I have a D5000 just over 1 year old.

Went to use it yesterday and it is dead. Tried battery charging, reset etc - no luck.

I have checked the Nikon site and they have a page for serial numbers for D5000's that have failed this way. No luck, my number is not included. Will contact them anyway but wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I am not very happy as I am away on a work trip and really needed the camera to take photos to illustrate a report.

RaoulIsidro
05-10-2010, 6:48pm
Are you using a Sigma lens or other brands not Nikon? Try using other lenses, like your original kit lens.
Do you have another battery? Try borrowing another one and see if it will power up.
Try another SD card, format it first.
Best of luck!

OzzieTraveller
06-10-2010, 7:40am
G'day Bruce

Sad to hear your news
I would push Mr Nikon though ... don't let it slide "just because" your camera number is not listed
It 'may be' those are the numbers they are aware of ... yours may still be symptomatic of the known problem
Also - the good ole Aussie Trade Practices Act ... ' a product needs to be fit-for-service ' ... arguably a Nikon [top of the line brand-name] should be up to 3-5 years of normal day-to-day use, not 12 months etc etc

Regards, Phil

ZedEx
06-10-2010, 8:16am
Did you purchase your camera within Australia, from Australian stock? (ie: not grey imported, there are a lot of Australian discount website that grey import). The d5000 had a manufacturing defect when it was first released (can't remember exactly what) but we had to send our first shipment back to NIkon for their 'fix' then after than any effected-but-fixed units came with a sticker on the box (just a little red circle from memory??)
But yeah, if you got a grey import it's possible that it totally missed this recall in which case you might not get Nikon bending over backwards to fix the problem. I'd send it into their service centre anyway and see what they reckon

BushieBruce
07-10-2010, 12:02am
Turns out it was a false alarm. I had purchased a generic charger that was suposed to charge Nikon bateries from the car cigarette lighter. This showed the battery was fully charged. When I arrived home I charged the battery in the genuine Nikon charger. Put it in the camera and all OK. Phew :)

Thanks everyone for your replies.