PDA

View Full Version : First Lesson

davidd
04-10-2010, 3:28pm
We have just come back from a short holiday in Central NSW. We heard about a sculpture exhibition at Dandry Gorge in the Pilliga Forest north of Coonabarabran so decided to have a look. There was a 25km drive on gravel roads to get there. When we arrived my wife said to me 'Why do they have the exhibition so far out, if it was easier to get to, more people would come!'
We had to walk about 15 mins to get to the first sculpture, which was stainless steel and very 'impressionist', so we walked a bit further and came to this one, called 'First Lesson'. It is a life size sculpture of an aboriginal man with a small boy on his shoulder. He is standing on a rock ledge and pointing down into the gorge. My wife looked at it in silence for a few minutes, then said 'Now I know why they had it out here, this position is perfect!'

Indeed it is! You can feel quite emotional just looking at it in this beatiful setting.

Dan Gamble
04-10-2010, 3:39pm
#2 is beautful. Great sense of space and openness.

What treatment have you used here. is it HDR?

flame70
04-10-2010, 3:44pm
NIce 2nd shot with the tonal contrast.

davidd
04-10-2010, 3:46pm
Hi, thanks for the response.

It isn't HDR, it has just had some treatment with Nik Color Efex filters.

The light was dull and very flat with overcast, so a bit difficult to get some contrast into the scene.

tropix55
04-10-2010, 4:33pm
A great Image Davidd There's a good chance you'd be one of only a few people to actually photograph this place and its images... by the sounds of it.. & I'm pleased you did!

Thanx for sharing ..

Good One !:th3:

Tropix

davidd
04-10-2010, 5:39pm
I didn't actually put this up for critique, but seeing as someone has suggested it is s little over-exposed, I tried pulling the curve down a little. I think this is better.

davidd
13-10-2010, 8:40am
For anyone that's interested, here is a link with info on the exhibition.

It was well worth the trip.

http://www.pleasetakemeto.com/australia/central-nsw/sculptures-in-the-scrub-9137808

macmich
13-10-2010, 10:40am
nice photos
it gets you thinking of what it was like in those times
it is nature at its best
cheers macca