PDA

View Full Version : Filters & lens

Chinook
03-10-2010, 12:34pm
I have recently bought a Canon550D twin lens kit. I am on a budget because I am really trying hard to get a canon for hubby.

What I really would like to know is what will I be needing most? I want to do so many diffrent kinds of things until I find my niche & of course that will probably change. What should I be looking at as my next out lay?
I know this is a very broad question & I have looked though the site. If someone could generalize that would be great.

Thank you:eek:

Xenedis
03-10-2010, 1:10pm
You need to identify what you want to shoot first.

There's no point buying equipment unless you know what you want to shoot, and unless you identify an equipment-based gap which needs to be filled.

Define the problem; then, implement the solution.

Dachimas
03-10-2010, 1:12pm
If you think you might lean towards landscape, a good tripod and head is a must. Brands like Manfrotto (which I can recommend) or Giottos are a good place to start. A circular polariser is also very important for landscapes.

If you think you lean towards portraits, external flash will help. Canon 430ex is the smaller and cheaper, 580exII is the larger and more expensive (but much better)

Like macro? Maybe look at the Canon 50mm or 60mm macro...

All of these item cost the same ballpark $300-$500 (except the 580ex) so it's really up to where you want to go with it.

Overall, I think the tripod is probably a good place to start...hope that helps

etherial
03-10-2010, 1:36pm
I reckon go and take photo's and you will soon start to discover what you need.

What you need for landscapes is going to be quite different to studio portraits.

unistudent1962
03-10-2010, 2:33pm
Hi,

If you're interested in landscapes/seascapes my next investment would be a good tripod and head. Benro are making quite a name for themselves with high quality at a reasonable price. Have a look at http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/p2.asp?ItemClass1=BENRO+Tripod+%26+Ball+head, make your choice then check eBay for the best price. Buy one that is apropriate for your height without having to raise the centre column too far, and buy the best one you can afford. A good tripod is essential and will last you a lifetime.

I'd also get a remote cable release, don't bother with genuine Canon, I bought a generic brand on eBay for a few dollars and it does exactly the same job.

Lens Hoods will help keep stray light off the front element, help reduce flare, and add another degree of protection from damage.

When used under the right conditions a Circular Polarising Filter to help with reflections, and improve the the look of the sky.

These items should result in visible improvements to your images without a large outlay.

Speedway
03-10-2010, 3:16pm
I agree with etherial, You have the twin lens kit, get out and take photos, post some for critique. Learn to use what you have on the way you will learn the other things you need and not finish up with a lot of expensive gear that you don't use.
Keith.

Chinook
03-10-2010, 7:49pm
Thank you all for your replies. Such a lot of great advice and for starters I realize I really need that Tripod. Thank you for the links & brands & info re height etc. Some great advice & I will "get out" start shooting & see what I need. Expect to see some pics posted very soon for CC then I can work out what to prioritize. I really was so pleased when I got home to read what you had to say. Thanks everyone every much.

RaoulIsidro
17-10-2010, 11:28pm
You have a new 550D and twin lens kit. I reckon the twin lens kit supplied would be the usual 18-55mm IS and the 55-250mm IS bundle.
Those two lenses are good enough to cover the whole breadth of your shooting experience, albeit the bigger apertures of "fast" zooms and primes. Run it to the ground... :D, until you are truly feeling "limited" with what you are doing, and then decide what upgrade you need. Somewher along the way, you will find what you really are passionte about. Enjoy the voyage!;)

Bercy
18-10-2010, 12:57am
Another vote for the tripod. I have a few! A couple were tacked on to deals - I might put a flash on them and even so, I have fears that they will fall over! I went to a pro-camera shop adn spent about 3/4 hour talking with a guy about what tripod I should buy. Look at the range on the floor: and we talked about what I liked doing etc etc. I was prevaricating - nothing seemed right. Then he goes out the back and gets a tripod (Manfrotto) and says I think this is what you want. And I said, "Couldn't you have shown me this in the first place" and he countered something along the lines of,"This is how you find out what really suites you". I paid more, but I got the advice I needed and the product that has served faithfully. No camera has fallen off this - and I have had my medium format (645) sideways, without for a moment thinking it will drop off. Tripod, lens hood du jour and good cable release. Once you get rid of the slightest camera shake its amazing how good your lenses are. Off camera flash handle or wireless triggers next, sorry that's for the flash you getting as well! Good luck.