PDA

View Full Version : nikon d300 for beginner

Ebdrel3
02-10-2010, 8:27pm
Okay,Ive always been keen about photography,but never done anything to learn more about it....until now.
I have been very keen on getting the Nikon d300s for a while now (well the d300 at first) and was just going to buy the camera with standard lens,however now I am wondering whether I should just buy the body and lens seperate?
Obviously further down the track when Im abit more experienced with the camera,I'll purchase more lens,but would like some help on which would suit me best for now.
I am interested in taking photographs of my kids,animals, and landscapes etc also to take with me on trip overseas.
Would appreciate any help with this!:)

kiwi
02-10-2010, 8:34pm
Do you need it right now ?

D7000 with 18-200VRII would be my pick

Ebdrel3
02-10-2010, 8:41pm
I'm planning on getting one in a month or two,not urgent but wanting it alot so I can start getting more hands on.
I was thinking 18-200,but I still have no idea. So is the d7000 only newly released?

kiwi
02-10-2010, 9:37pm
D7000 is brand new, will be shops end of october

TEITZY
03-10-2010, 9:02am
The 18-200VR will cover most bases until you work exactly which direction you want to take with your photography. Another option maybe the 16-85VR which is wide enough for landscapes and ideal to portraits and pets.

Cheers
Leigh

Ebdrel3
03-10-2010, 1:38pm
Thanks Teitzy. I see you have a D300,would you reccommend me buying that camera?

Also Kiwi with the D7000, can you blow the photos up poster size like the D300? Im really hoping to get some good shots of our trip to blow up and frame..

Ebdrel3
03-10-2010, 1:41pm
Sorry Leigh I missed your name there. One other thing,is there much difference between the 18-200mmVR and the 18-200mmVRII?

kiwi
03-10-2010, 1:46pm
The D7000 is 16.8mp, the D300 is 12MP

This means little if you are going only to say 20x30inch

The sharpness of the shot and the noise means lots more, I have 20x30" prints from 4MP files, no problem

The 18-200VRII is better than 18-200VR1. Not that much by the looks. A stop better performance, slightly sharper in the corners.

kiwi
03-10-2010, 1:47pm
The D90 at $800 represents great value right now, Id be tempted to go that way if you are brand new.

N*A*M
03-10-2010, 3:04pm
there are no scene modes in the d300
so it helps to have a basic understanding of shutter priority, apperture priority and manual exposure modes if you use a d300 body

i think the d90 is a steal at the moment and would highly recommend it

Ebdrel3
03-10-2010, 5:47pm
so theres a Nikon D90 twin lens kit. It has the 18-55mm and 55-200mm with it.
For the price I was going to pay for th D300 and 18-200mm lens,would I be better getting this D90 package along with another good lens to play with? Or even just get the D90 body with 2 or 3 other good lens?
Totally had my heart set on the D300 but if its too hard to use for a beginner theres not much point is there.
Im looking at spending as much as what the D300 is worth and hoping the body lasts a fair while and I dont outgrow it too quickly.
Sorry for all these questions,I just want to make the right decision :confused013 I really appreciate all the help

kiwi
03-10-2010, 5:49pm
I'd rather go the d90/18-200 kit thats out there

The kit lenses are cheap rubbish

Ebdrel3
03-10-2010, 6:07pm
Yeah I thought they probably were. Ok well I think I'll go with that then. Thanks heaps for the help :)

maccaroneski
03-10-2010, 6:52pm
You'd go with the 18-200 for the convenience of not having to change lenses and the VRII over VRI. To call the kit lenses "cheap rubbish" in comparison to the 18-200 is a bit harsh - I have the 2 kit lenses and have used the 18-200 VRII extensively and there is a split hair between them in terms of straight image quality. If anything, the kit lenses win on IQ by a shade.

kiwi
03-10-2010, 7:02pm
Yeah, fair enough, they are not as bad as some lenses i suppose

crystalflair
04-10-2010, 10:58am
Hello there, I have a D300s and my daughter the D90, it sounds like you are realy keen to explore photography and have been gearing up for the big buy for quite some time. I am wondering if you would be better off with the D7000, it has a lot of features that will keep you busy for some time to come before you will yearn to upgrade. If you wait a little bit it will come down a bit in price, though only a couple of hundred and you were budgeting for the more expensive D300s anyway ;)

Good luck and be sure to practice lots before your trip :)

rellik666
04-10-2010, 12:02pm
Have you had a play with these cameras and seen how they feel?

For learning I would get the D90, but personally I wouldn't buy at as it feels uncomfortable to me.

The D300s is a heavy camera and as said above has very little to ehlp you learn. Saying that I have learnt so much since getting mine and it is a great camera. I have no idea about the D7000 but it sounds like a great camera, however (not knowing how much it will be) I would get the D90 and plough some money into a lens or two....

I have the 18-200 VRI and it is great the VRII has improvements in the VR I believe....If you can get a VRI second hand at a good price I would go for that, if there isn't much to save go the VRII.

Why Nikon BTW?

Roo

Ebdrel3
04-10-2010, 12:30pm
Thanks for the advice,I really appreciate it.
I've heard the Nikon D300s is a fantastic camera from so many people and I thought I'd like to get that one to begin with so Im not wanting to upgrade in a hurry and I'll have plenty to learn with this camera. Having said that,I am a full on beginner and thinking the D90 may be the way to go now. I did look at this camera a fair while ago and liked it,but yeah just dont want to get this and still end up wanting the d300 lol I am pretty stubborn lol.
Not saying i'm well off or anything,but if price wasnt an issue at all,would you all still reccommend me getting the D90 over the d300 for my first dslr?

I am set on Nikon and confused enough as it is without bringing another brand into it ha ha.

Planning on going into camera shop and getting a feel of both these cameras and if I still havent bought one by he time the 7000 comes out,I'll suss that one out too,but I have been really itching to get into it so Im hoping to get one in the next week or two.
I am pretty set on getting the 18-200mm VRII now so at least I have that decided for my first lens,so thankyou all for that.
I will be practising before my trip alot Yvonne. My last couple of holidays or day trips etc I have just taken horrid snap happy pictures with my little compact camera, I want good photos to remember this trip by,it has also been a long time coming too.

fr33lanc3r
04-10-2010, 12:42pm
I went from a D60 to D300s so a little different but if you do go down the D300s path you will be very happy it is such a versatile piece of kit that will allow you to adapt in many different ways to your situations, will be a huge learning curve for you but one well worth persevering through.

TEITZY
04-10-2010, 1:27pm
The D300/s might be a bit of a steep learning curve going from a P&S. If you have a month or two to play with the camera before your holiday it might be enough time to become proficient with the D300/s. The D7000 has scene & auto modes, and is not that far behind the D300/s models in terms of spec (actually better in a number of areas) and should keep even an advanced amateur like myself pretty satisfied for a couple of years :D

Cheers
Leigh

Ebdrel3
04-10-2010, 1:36pm
Yeah not going on trip until start of 2012,so will have plenty of time to get the hang of one I should think,the basics at very least. However I'll go have a good look at them and see what I come home with I suppose. I wish the 7000 would hurry up already

rellik666
04-10-2010, 1:50pm
Out of interest...where are you going?

And whilst you mentioned types of photography, what do you really want to get good shots of?

Roo

Ebdrel3
04-10-2010, 2:01pm
Italy mainly Roo and Paris.
Well I have 3 kids so I'd love to take good pictures of them but as they're growing older (they are still only young) the hubby and I want to start gettng more travelling in. So yeah this trip is to Italy and Paris withall the sights,architecture etc and next trip I hope to do an African safari.
So yeah mainly kids and travels but I want to have a go at everything and see what I can come up with

rellik666
04-10-2010, 2:32pm
I am just thinking you probably want something fast and light is all.....doesn't sound like you are going to be doing any serious landscapes or need that big fast lens just yet! :) maybe for your safari.....

TBH I would advise you spend your money on glass and get a good mid range body...but as you said have a play and see what you think you would be happy to carry around all day....

Thee 18-200 is a great alrounder and light too....just not too good when the light isn't very good.

Roo

Ebdrel3
04-10-2010, 2:58pm
I have been thinking about the weight of it,just by going on what people say about it,but I havent actually held one yet,so it is quite possible that I wont want the 300 just based on that.

So what would be the first top THREE lens I should have that you would reccommend?
Also is everyone else this much of a pain when first starting out or do most people just go and get what they want and can afford at the time without hasseling everyone else? :lol2:

cupic
04-10-2010, 3:33pm
I share the D300 with the Pentax K20D and while the D300 has less Mpixs it shines in High usable ISO shots.With plenty of tutorials available online Id say shoot with the D300 its fantastic and you soak it up

cheers

rellik666
04-10-2010, 3:37pm
There is no top 3 lenses, you really need to get in there and have a play....It may be worth hiring a few and seeing what you like....I love the simplicity and lightness of the 50mm 1.4 but I also love the 70-200mm 2.8 but I wouldn't want to carry that around with me all day.

The 18-200mm should serve you well as an alrounder until you find your niche.

Roo

matt shepherd
04-10-2010, 4:34pm
I also think the d300 may be a bit of a hard SLR to start with because it has no auto modes. But in saying that if you are willing to put a lot of time into understanding the basics of photography (iso,aperture,shutter speed.) it shouldn't be too bad.
I shoot a nikon d90 and it is a great camera, pretty sure the sensor is the same as the D300 anyway and you will be able to print your photos quite big also depending on the quality of your shot.
Value for money I would go a D90 and spend the left over cash on a few good lenses.

Waz
04-10-2010, 5:04pm
If you've got it already, great, otherwise check out the D7000

Ebdrel3
05-10-2010, 9:58am
The d7000 does sound pretty good,but honestly I dont think I can wait any longer and since its new noone can tell me how good it actually is where as I've heard everyone say the D90 and D300s are both fantastic cameras.
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the d90. I'll just update when I'm ready I think. I wanted one that I thought I could keep learning from for a few years but yeah think the 300s will be a bit too hard now and I dont want to be lugging a bigheavy thing around if I dont know how to use it properly.
I havent heard anything bad about the D90 so think ive finally made my mind up :)
Still have to go in and suss them out properly but I didnt want to do that until I did my own little research as I dont want to be talked into anything that im unsure about.
Thanks heaps everyone :)

maccaroneski
05-10-2010, 12:14pm
I have had a D90 for a year and I'm still nowhere near growing out of it's capabilities. Such a good price at the moment too.

bugshutter
05-10-2010, 5:55pm
i may be mistaken, but didnt you say your holiday is in 2012 ? thats over 1 year to learn something on whatever camera you go for, i personally would go for the d7000, its all new technology, the d300s is already 1 to 2 years old. add some prime lenses and the package sounds great.
cheers.

GregoryH
06-10-2010, 11:35am
Nikon has just released a couple of new lens. I've just bought the 24-120 f4 FX lens for my D300 as a walk around lens instead of the 18-135 I got with the D80. So far I'm very impressed with the combination. The only thing is that with the battery grip, body and lens it now weights 2.1kg, add the SB600 and it's 2.5+ kg.
Cheer,
Greg

cupic
06-10-2010, 9:49pm
Nikon has just released a couple of new lens. I've just bought the 24-120 f4 FX lens for my D300 as a walk around lens instead of the 18-135 I got with the D80. So far I'm very impressed with the combination. The only thing is that with the battery grip, body and lens it now weights 2.1kg, add the SB600 and it's 2.5+ kg.
Cheer,
Greg

Oh the pain,I feel is worth the suffering :)

cheers

bconolly
07-10-2010, 2:03pm
Good thing Greg is that you can save on a gym membership :D)

Ebdrel3
07-10-2010, 3:35pm
Just got back from checking out the d90 and d300.I went pretty positive I would get the d90 but... loved them both.
D300 didnt seem overly heavy although I wasnt carrying it around all day. Hmmm I shall think about it overnight.
I like the d300 for all the extra features and I still have it in my head,that I'll have it heaps longer without growing bored from it,that I'll still be learning and enjoying it for many more years to come before wanting an upgrade. That I'll have a great body to start off with and gradually build on the lens.

The D90 is still a great camera that would be enough for me for a while and is cheaper,therefor either more lens or towards my holiday. I just feel I'll be wanting to upgrade it sooner than the d300s.
Im excluding the D7000 to make my decision making easier unless it comes out before I get one. I would really like to purchase one within the next week,so the 7000 wont be there then.

Not thinking and stressing about it anymore as from tomorrow! I will just pick one tonight and that will be that. Just PLEASE no "I told you so's" if I come upwith crap pictures or have heaps of trouble if I do get the 300s lol

kiwi
07-10-2010, 3:55pm
If its any consolation I cant decide between a D90, D300s or D7000 for a backup camera either

So, I think if I were you Id get the D90, put the money saved directly into good glass, and a good tripod for example - I think this will make for better image making than the different bodies.

No matter what body you get you're likely to upgrade it in two years time...and you'll lose less money on the D90 than the others as it's so much cheaper to start with

wolffman
07-10-2010, 10:06pm
Good call Kiwi. Buy the cheaper camera and spend the difference on a good course and educate and train yourself. If you can't point it in the right direction and do the right things with it, autowizbangflashbots version 2 ain't gonna help.
Despite what the marketing people say the camera body is the least important bit.
D90 is a good camera.

chrisbevan4
07-10-2010, 10:43pm
For learning I would get the D90, but personally I wouldn't buy it as it feels uncomfortable to me.

You you should consider Roo's comment as well!

I suggest you go to a camera shop and pick/play with the various brands available in your price range, and see how they feel in your hands and whether you like how they work!

This is the advice I got from this forum when I was getting my camera, I was originally planning on a Cannon 500D but it didn't feel right in my hands.

I have got a D90 and don't regret it.

Enjoy and have fun.

Eberbachl
07-10-2010, 11:27pm
The D90 is a steal at the moment... go for it.

:)

Ebdrel3
07-10-2010, 11:30pm
Ok people I ordered my camera not long after I posted my last post:) Majority of you are all going to be shaking your heads at me lol but I got the 300s. I couldnt help myself ok!!
I'm full on dedicated to learn everything about it. Going to do a course, I got you guys ;) and I know alot of people I can go to if I need more help.
I have been known to spend more money on things than i've needed to but have never regretted it and dont think Iwill thistime either. Its just that it may take a little longer to work it all out but I am happy with that:)
I will want to update one day but I really dont see me doing that for a while with this one,I;ll be busy gradually building up my lens and stuff. Also my husband is where I was at a few year ago, where I wanted to do photography but couldnt be bothered actually learning about it. So he has already put his hand up to take this cam when I upgrade lol.
Thanks again everyone I really really appreciated it :th3:

rellik666
08-10-2010, 7:53am
Well good luck...just don't let yourself get put off and get some good glass!

Good luck with it, it is a great camera......and yes we are all here to help! You will never learn all there is to learn about it!

Roo

ZedEx
08-10-2010, 8:01am
You will never learn all there is to learn about it!

Why not? I frequently max out my knowledge of any given body :p Depends how far you look into it I guess.

rellik666
08-10-2010, 8:20am
You have too much time on your hands!

ZedEx
08-10-2010, 8:21am
haha no no, just young and a sponge for information :p Plus, I work in a camera store, so I use a Nikon at work for passports and a Canon in my own time, and teach people to use their assorted other models on the fly...so that probably helps.

You have too much time on your hands!

rellik666
08-10-2010, 3:06pm
I hope you are not trying to say I am old! :p

Roo

kiwi
08-10-2010, 3:22pm
good luck with the D300s, its a great camera. Stick it on P for the first month and nothing else

N*A*M
08-10-2010, 10:42pm
congrats
it'll be a great camera

did you go with the 18-200?

i would recommend an SB400 or SB600 flash too

kiwi
10-10-2010, 9:20am
Ok, I did it too, just pulled the trigger on a almost new d300s from the states...thank god for the usd

I sold my d300 6 months ago for more, so, not so bad

Ebdrel3
10-10-2010, 2:54pm
Good stuff Kiwi. I know I personally should have got the d90 but I am happy with my purchase,cant wait to pick it up. I won't get put off Roo.Wont lie,im abit scared of being totally crap at it with everything I need to learn,but I will get there eventually.
Yes Nam I did go with that lens to start off with.
I shall do what kiwi said and keep it on P for a little bit and go from there. When should/could I start using a polarizing filter?

maximus1964
24-10-2010, 10:27am
If I was starting from scratch knowing what I now know I would get the D90. I firmly believe that it's better to spend any available cash on glass rather than camera. The D90 will do more than most need and if you invest in good lenses you will have them for life. There is a new camera just around the corner to make your camera look old and tired but lenses dont work that way. Have a look at what a used high quality lens is worth second hand. After years of use they can fetch close if not more than what you paid for it and if you do upgrade to some wizz bang monster camera then all your good lenses will complement it and you will have a hand second body to have around just in case.

cupic
24-10-2010, 7:36pm
Since this is a beginners guide and i have just gotten reacquainted with this nikon I have a few questions
1.With the vivid action in the camera why is it when I shoot In Raw the colours are so ...well vivid and when its transferred to LR2 and CS3 its well very neutral in appearance
2.I have just gotten the 85 mm F/1.8 D and the 50mm f/1.8 D and I have notice to what it seems to me a switch of sum sorts (At the 1.8 end).its funny to me

As Im too a beginner with a new system cheers

kiwi
24-10-2010, 8:23pm
Re colours, make sure you download the right nikon d300 profiles for adobe products or yes, it's likely to look flat

Re the swtch, not sure what you mean, can you explain further ?

ricktas
24-10-2010, 8:28pm
Since this is a beginners guide and i have just gotten reacquainted with this nikon I have a few questions
1.With the vivid action in the camera why is it when I shoot In Raw the colours are so ...well vivid and when its transferred to LR2 and CS3 its well very neutral in appearance
2.I have just gotten the 85 mm F/1.8 D and the 50mm f/1.8 D and I have notice to what it seems to me a switch of sum sorts (At the 1.8 end).its funny to me

As Im too a beginner with a new system cheers

A RAW file is just that, and Photoshop/Lightroom do not apply the 'settings' you use. If you wish to have your vivid settings etc applied to your RAW file, you need to use Nikon's own Capture NX or NX2. Also what you see on your LCD from taking a RAW photo is not the actual RAW file, but rather a small JPG version. The LCD displays this JPG which can have the settings applied. Nikon RAW files include a small JPG version embedded within them (again this is not viewable unless you use Nikon Software).

Your RAW file will open in your editing software with whatever colourspace your editing software is set to use, not what you set as a picture mode, in camera.

cupic
24-10-2010, 8:29pm
The colour profile I use is Srgb (This I assume is what you are talking about)and for the switch its located right above 1.8 switch is mounted up down

cheers

lay-z
24-10-2010, 8:52pm
I've noticed you made mention of wanting to take photos of your kids growing up as a main use of the camera. I may have missed it, but with the exception of one post, no one else has made mention of getting a prime lens!

I would *highly* recommend adding a 50mm prime lens to your inventory. They're cheap as chips with the Nikon f/1.8 starting from $120 and it'll be one of your best lens purchases.

-Alan