PDA

View Full Version : Nightclub Photography Prices

dliebeck
01-10-2010, 5:17pm
Hi all

Im new (Ill do an intro a bit later on) and I'm interested in doing nightclub photography in Canberra.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on what would be a competitive hourly rate to charge?

Cheers

Daniel

sans2012
01-10-2010, 10:38pm
Is that taking photos of a night club?

You probably need to elaborate a little more.

Sounds like a niche;)

enduro
02-10-2010, 12:20am
I expect you mean taking shots in a nightclub of patrons having a great time. I assume you are employed by a nightclub owner.

Well, you should expect a professional wage with breaks and the like under normal workplace arrangements etc.

I'd be looking at $80 an hour minimum and ask what types of shots he/she wants. Get it in writing - email is fine. Remind the employer that you are shooting for a specific time and (assuming you will get it all right and know what you are doing) will take about the same time you shoot and PP the set.

Don't accept wages far less that what would normally be expected for the time frame, expertise etc that is expected. Else, you will be downgrading the industry and potentially the law.

Redgum
03-10-2010, 3:33pm
Hey Daniel, do they actually have night clubs in Canberra? I'm amused. :)
Last time I looked at this vocation it was on a par with event photographers (harbour cruises etc.) where you need to shoot and process in one go. People like to take their photos with them when they leave.
I suspect the night club owner will want little to do with it (other than advertising the service) and you will need to operate independently (say $X per photograph) and apart from your camera gear will need a laptop and printer on site.
This can be very lucrative if you know as much about marketing as photography. If you're good with interpersonal relationships you can make a fortune. (Just imagine getting a photo of our Ricki with PM Gillard together at the nightclub :))
One of the girls that does Captain Cook cruises on Sydney Harbour earns about $2,500 per week.

darkbhudda
03-10-2010, 8:03pm
Do you have any experience in taking photos in night clubs?

Be prepared that for some very competitive and catty fellow photographers and nightclub owners trying to rip you off. But you get that in all fields. Best of luck. The lighting conditions is a fun challenge and depending on the club the patrons are an absolute delight.

Taxxy
03-10-2010, 9:00pm
Not sure about elsewhere but here in brisbane, www.getanightlife.com go around to most of the clubs taking photos. How the site works: people apply to go around taking photos for experience/fun and for free, they get access to all the clubs for free as well. I'm not sure about Canberra but in Brisbane there woulnd't be many photographers earning money for shooting clubs