PDA

View Full Version : Flickr VS Photobucket?

Gas
01-10-2010, 4:12pm
Hi guys,

I'm wondering which one i should start my account at? I'm not really sure if one is better than the other - which would you recommend and for what reason/s.

Regards
Gas

mikew09
01-10-2010, 4:24pm
Hmm, I started with flickr but don't like it as much since they changed the way it is set up. Always liked the photobucket but seemed to be a bit flakey when I first started on the forum - have been trialling it again since but will probably stick with flickr. I also like flickr as it is a great source to look other enthusiast photographers.

yarnella
01-10-2010, 4:28pm
I have accounts on both. I have a free account on Photobucket but I have a Pro account on Flickr mainly because I prefer the presentation on Flickr.

Flickr have certain restrictions on the free accounts and I upgraded to Pro to get around that.

One of the things I like on Photobucket is that you can create sets and upload directly to those sets without those images going into your general photostream. I have not found a way to do that on Flickr. If somebody knows, please advise!!

There is probably not a great deal of difference between the two. Choose the one that presents the images in a manner that pleases you.

Gas
01-10-2010, 4:29pm
Thanks Mike. I actually just tried photobucket it is seems relatively simple to use, and looks very nice, but i would like to try Flickr - I am assuming it's like a you tube account where you can leave comments?

ricktas
01-10-2010, 4:39pm
It really is just personal choice, I have both, but use my Photobucket more.

matilda
01-10-2010, 5:47pm
i have both, and use photobucket more as well.

i didn't like how with flickr you could upload direct to a folder, while pb you can.

fillum
02-10-2010, 1:45am
I have a Flickr pro account but really only use it to store images to link to from other sites. As a site dedicated to image presentation I think it's a bit ordinary - recent changes are an improvement imo but still not very intuitive to use (for non-member viewers).

I don't have experience with Photobucket.

One of the things I like on Photobucket is that you can create sets and upload directly to those sets without those images going into your general photostream. I have not found a way to do that on Flickr. If somebody knows, please advise!!I use the Flickr uploader application which is installed on my pc. It allows you to select which set (or even multiple sets) that the photos will be uploaded to. From memory also allows you to add tags, descriptions, etc. at the time of upload.

Cheers.

Analog6
02-10-2010, 7:03am
Flickr is more a commenting and sharing community, Photobucket is just that, a bucket to store your photos. I like getting feedback on Flickr and being able to chat to other like minded folk. I'd like to be able to put things straight into sets too, though, not always out on the front page

ricktas
02-10-2010, 7:50am
Not sure if Flickr offers it, haven't looked. But photobucket lets you create private albums, that can be password locked. So anyone browsing your PB will not see those and cannot access them. You can still link from them to AP and other sites.

Xenedis
02-10-2010, 10:01am
One of the things I like on Photobucket is that you can create sets and upload directly to those sets without those images going into your general photostream. I have not found a way to do that on Flickr. If somebody knows, please advise!!

All images uploaded to Flickr are in your stream (unless you've set the privacy level so that only you can see them).

Flickr images can be in one set, in multiple sets, or in no sets. There's no way concept of not having an image in your stream.

Xenedis
02-10-2010, 10:06am
I have a Flickr pro account but really only use it to store images to link to from other sites. As a site dedicated to image presentation I think it's a bit ordinary - recent changes are an improvement imo but still not very intuitive to use (for non-member viewers).

What Flickr offers is an API (application programming interface), so you can basically hook into that and present your images however you like. Numerous sites and apps have been built using the API.

My personal site is, for the most part, a front-end presentation layer I wrote to display my Flickr-hosted images.

I prefer a black background, which Flickr does not provide in the standard viewing screen. I also wanted to present some information and completely omit other information.

Here's my image presentation page:

http://www.xenedis.net/viewimage.php?i=4483702182

Of course, none of that helps if you have no programming capability, but for me it was perfect, as I have a presentation layer I really like, but I still have all the benefits and interaction on Flickr as well.

Dan Gamble
02-10-2010, 11:01am
Of course, none of that helps if you have no programming capability, but for me it was perfect, as I have a presentation layer I really like, but I still have all the benefits and interaction on Flickr as well.

Do you know where one might find similar code that is usable on their sites? Not necessarily for myself but for any others who are slightly less capable in the software engineering dept. :D

Xenedis
02-10-2010, 11:06am
Do you know where one might find similar code that is usable on their sites? Not necessarily for myself but for any others who are slightly less capable in the software engineering dept. :D

Not really, no. I hand-wrote my code to my specifications.

I'm not sure if there is anything out there you can simply drop into a Web site to achieve a similar result.

Dan Gamble
02-10-2010, 3:36pm
So as not to hijack this thread I have posted another HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=692331#post692331) which links to a site that has some useful cut/paste flikr embedding code.

Sorry Gas. :o