PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 60mm macro or 85 mm Macro which is better

raccoon
29-09-2010, 7:24pm
I am looking to buy a Nikon macro lens, which does everyone think is the better lens
1. AFS 60 Micro F2.8 Ed or
2. AFS DX Micro 85 F 3.3 Ed VR
as both are around the same price point
I have a Nikon D5000

matt shepherd
01-10-2010, 8:36am
Hey their I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I ended up with the 60mm and I am extremely happy with it. I cant really comment on the 85mm because I have never tried one but I am sure they are also good.
I guess it just depends on what you are going to be using this lens for as the 85mm will give you a little more working distance for 1/1 macro. but If you are looking at using it for portraits and so on I think that the 60mm will give you a little better bokeh and better low light performance.
Hope this helps.

raccoon
01-10-2010, 11:46am
Thanks Matt, i was leaning towards the 85mm as it has VR.. do you think that would help..

djvkool
01-10-2010, 12:52pm
VR on macro definetely helps, saves you time from having to worry about setting up the tripod when you see something extraordinary :)

matt shepherd
01-10-2010, 1:29pm
Shooting ambient light it would definitely help

davros
04-10-2010, 8:41pm
I've heard a lot of good things about the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, but would anyone put it up against the Nikon 85mm 3.5 VR macro? Worth the extra $150 for a slower lens?

reaction
05-04-2011, 12:31pm
I've heard claims that VR does not help at macro distances. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

ving
05-04-2011, 1:02pm
I've heard a lot of good things about the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, but would anyone put it up against the Nikon 85mm 3.5 VR macro? Worth the extra $150 for a slower lens?might be slower but there are a couple of things to consider regarding macro.

1. shooting macro you generally focus manually.
2. shooting macro you generally stop down the aperture to get a 1/2 decent DoF (f8 is usually a minimum)

and so the advantage of f2.8 over f3.5 is negligible... although you might have a slightly brighter viewfinder for focusing (but that is it), unless you use it for normal shooting too then the f2.8 would be better.

peterb666
05-04-2011, 5:39pm
If you want to play with 60mm, there is also a Tamron 60mm f/2 macro which makes a good short portrait lens on a cropped sensor camera.

Unless you want to use the lens for dual purposes, then longer and slower is fine. If you are doing hand-held macro (not advisable) then VR and AF are useful. It is a hard call as it is best to take your time but when shooting live subjects, you don't always get the opportunity.

Longer is better to get a little more working room.

Choices, choices, choices.

Oh, the bargain buy is the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 which I think is under $400 grey import. The 60mm f/2 tamron is a little more but not that much.

salnel
05-04-2011, 9:37pm
I bought the 85mm and I love it...I chose it because it had internal focus, Vr , it is nice and light and I am very happy with the sharpness of my photos..if you want to see some pics, have a look at my 52 challenge as all but one (photo of my dog) have been taken with my macro lens. I am a new to photography and have only had this lens since Xmas so I am still learning. I have used it hand held and the VR really helped but most of the time I am on a tripod and use manual focus but it is handy to have it when a tripod is not possible.
Hope this helps:)

Blueywa
05-04-2011, 10:07pm
I use the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 on all of my Nikon bodies and I reckon its a great lens.
Like any lens it depends what you want to use it for, but for my money there are certainly worse lens out there.
If youre after a lens that reaches out and grabs your subject from afar then forget it.
;)

gerry
05-04-2011, 10:12pm
I use the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 on all of my Nikon bodies and I reckon its a great lens.
Like any lens it depends what you want to use it for, but for my money there are certainly worse lens out there.
If youre after a lens that reaches out and grabs your subject from afar then forget it.
;)

thats a good point, remember that the 60mm will require you to be very close when you are getting towards 1:1 mag. sometimes the extra reach is handy to separate yourself from the subject.
I have a clapped out 55mm and when you get to 1:1 the lens hood is almost touching the subject!

In terms of the VR, from a macro point of view, i reckon its over rated.

The tamron 90mm has a very good reputation and if I was going to buy a new macro lens this would definitely be a contender.

deags
31-08-2011, 10:27am
I was thinking of buying the 60mm micronikkor for my wife as she is starting to get interested in shooting macro. I am interested in how good the lens is for portrait shots as well as I hadn't considered that until looking at this thread. She does do a lot of portrait shooting, mainly for friends new babies and the like.
Also, peterb666, how is the tamron 60mm macro both portraits and macro? I am guessing from your post it has a slower AF?

reaction
31-08-2011, 12:32pm
you'll have to define 'good for portrait shots'
people have such different ideas
eg some say soft focus is a must
or blurry edges
etc

deags
31-08-2011, 12:40pm
I will have to talk to her about that. Portraits aren't really an interest of mine, I much prefer urban landscape and architecture. Being that most of the subjects she shoots are babies, then I would imagine soft focus would more than likely suit her.

reaction
31-08-2011, 3:54pm
also macro AF is slow, but u can limit it to eg 2m-inf.
depending on the lens the switch will differ, then its AF will be same as nrmal

occifer nick
04-09-2011, 6:25am
Paul I have the Nikkor 60mm 2.8d and love it for underwater macro. If you want to borrow it to try then just call me.

Edit; just saw the post date and assuming you have bought one by now! Lol
If not you can still give me a buzz and borrow mine haha:th3:

raccoon
04-09-2011, 1:06pm
Thanks Nick,
I bought the 85mm but might try out teh 60mm sometime

let me know what you think of the 70-200
See ya

peterb666
04-09-2011, 3:01pm
Also, peterb666, how is the tamron 60mm macro both portraits and macro? I am guessing from your post it has a slower AF?

It does both jobs well but AF in poor light could be better. This is more likely to be an issue in available light portrait work.

monsters
08-09-2011, 12:18pm
Just a thought, have you look into the Sigma 105mm macro f2.8?

Feg
08-09-2011, 12:52pm
I'm using the first of the 60mm's and I love it.Really flat field which is good for copying flat stuff.Used it on a D200 and D700.Obiously get a bit more mag on the smaller sensor but awesome on both.Really sharp standard/portrait lens as well.If I was going to get a new one I'd consider the longer one but...Plenty of really cheap second hand older 60mm around.Ex police etc.

peterb666
09-09-2011, 7:50pm
Anyone interested in the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro, Teds are currently selling it for $499 (saw in a recent catalogue). That's an excellent price for Australia.