PDA

View Full Version : Nikon - Canon Lens Adapter

FallingHorse
28-09-2010, 8:44pm
If I used a Nikon to Canon lens adapter would I still be able to use AF on a Nikon lens adapted for EOS body??

FallingHorse
29-09-2010, 11:05pm
Anyone?

I @ M
30-09-2010, 1:34am
The only adaptor I have ever taken any notice of is the one that mounts the Nikkor 14-24 lens to Canon bodies and becomes a manual focus lens in the process.

Due to differing electrical circuitry between the different makes I would assume that all adaptors would cancel any form of auto focus.

phild
30-09-2010, 7:43am
I've looked at the various adapters available, the best outcome you'll get is manual focus confirmation with the chipped adapter.

ZedEx
30-09-2010, 8:11am
I responded with a big nope the other day, but it appears to have been deleted? Didn't feel the need to get too involved with it, as far as I know there is NO adapter that will allow any electrical communications between the body and lens. Then there is always the complex issue - is your Nikon lens an AF or AFs mount? Most expensive pro lenses will be AF (designed for higher end bodies with focus motors BUILT IN to the body of the camera). So this would mean you would need a tiny little motor installed in your canon to control AF. Not gonna happen, all Canon EF and EF-s lenses have the focus motors inside the lens body (as with the af-s lenses).

phild
30-09-2010, 8:19am
I responded with a big nope the other day, but it appears to have been deleted? Didn't feel the need to get too involved with it, as far as I know there is NO adapter that will allow any electrical communications between the body and lens. Not exactly, there are several adapters available, some with chips that allow some functionality, here is an example (http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=572). If the price iof this adapter seems steep, there are some that sell for double that amount. The linked adapter will also allow manual control of aperture on G type lenses, not all adapters have this feature.

To quote from the spec.

Although the lens will fit physically, automatic diaphragm, auto-focusing, or any other functions will not operate correctly while using this adapter. In this case "stop-down mode" will need to be used when metering since the lens does not have the ability to have its aperture controlled by the camera body. The added microchip (or dandelion chip) enables the focusing confirmation function with EOS bodies, which allows the the user to focus even in dark situations. You can shoot with manual mode or aperture priority mode. Infinity focusing is guaranteed.
In other words, manual aperture, stop down metering manual focus with confirmation.

ZedEx
30-09-2010, 8:27am
ah k cool. Nice to know. But I guess the big question is: why bother? If the Nikon lenses one possesses are of such high quality to warrant purchasing an expensive adapter to go on a Canon, surely they are worth a bit to Nikon users on the second hand market?

Not exactly, there are several adapters available, some with chips that allow some functionality, here is an example (http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=572). If the price iof this adapter seems steep, there are some that sell for double that amount. The linked adapter will also allow manual control of aperture on G type lenses, not all adapters have this feature.

To quote from the spec. In other words, manual aperture, stop down metering manual focus with confirmation.

FallingHorse
30-09-2010, 10:14pm
I responded with a big nope the other day, but it appears to have been deleted? Didn't feel the need to get too involved with it, as far as I know there is NO adapter that will allow any electrical communications between the body and lens. Then there is always the complex issue - is your Nikon lens an AF or AFs mount? Most expensive pro lenses will be AF (designed for higher end bodies with focus motors BUILT IN to the body of the camera). So this would mean you would need a tiny little motor installed in your canon to control AF. Not gonna happen, all Canon EF and EF-s lenses have the focus motors inside the lens body (as with the af-s lenses).

Thanks Zedex - not sure what happened to your original post either, but I didn't get an email notification to say there was a response either. Anyway, you have answered my question for me - appreciate the 'not too technical' how's and why's of it. Thanks :)