aprox600x6oo x8oo deep with curved walls
in the curved walls i will permantly mount the lights
can someone tell me what type of lights would be best and would flouros be ok
i will be able to top mount lights also
cheers macca
the box will be made out of mdf with muslin back and floor drops

NikonNellie
27-09-2010, 11:45pm
Sorry can't help you with the lighting. I also made my own light box but didn't mount any lights - I just use wireless triggered flashes on either side of the box which is nicely diffused by the white material covering the sides. I also made interchangeable backdrops and stick them on with velcro dots. I have had very pleasing results with this setup.

My Light box

Results

macmich
27-09-2010, 11:53pm
it produces the goods
i am a carpenter by trade and i am making a timber one and hard wired
so its a matter of just plugging it in and thats it
one lead and no flashes to worry about
i am going to use the same setup as you have for the backdrops
those strawberries look nice
cheers macca
i will take photos of work in progress

NikonNellie
28-09-2010, 12:02am
Timber is a good idea - one side on the top of mine folds a bit. I have been going to reinforce it with a bit of dowel but keep forgetting to do it. Lucky that you are a carpenter - it's a very handy trade to have. Good luck with construction - I will wait to see the results of the continuous lighting as opposed to flash lighting. I just received this morning some continuous lights for portraiture work and these have a kelvin rating of 5500K - don't know if that will help.

macmich
28-09-2010, 12:05am
it all helps
i will have a removable panel on top for shooting above as well
cheers macca

Alpacamike
28-09-2010, 12:11am
If you mount a flouro in your light box use a daylight tube to start with, then there is lots of different kind’s tubes you can experiment with to change the affect. Retail clothing stores do this all the time Kmart, Myers, Target they all use different types of flouros to show off their merchandise.

macmich
28-09-2010, 9:03am
thanks mike
where abouts in the goldfields are you
cheers macca

41jas
28-09-2010, 9:22am
I should make another light box. The one I had was made out of foam core and was a little too big. No where to put it. I just had white paper to the sides and sat two lamps, one to either side and that worked a treat.

Duane Pipe
28-09-2010, 9:34am
[QUOTE=macmich;688951]hi all

can someone tell me what type of lights would be best and would flouros be ok

Gooday macmich Check out this thread from Rick he answers yours question there:beer_mug:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=64986&highlight=shoot+rose

macmich
28-09-2010, 10:22am
duane
thats the exact light tent i have now
it works well
but i want to build one so i can just pick it up and put in shed instead of folding up all the time
i bumped one of the lights and blew a globe and these lights you cannot replace globes you have to replace whole unit
i will still use of unit lights where needed
but wanted to permanent mount lights if possible
cheers macca
ricks is a great thread and a great outcome and i will be trying once i type this

ray223
28-09-2010, 10:44am
in the curved walls i will permantly mount the lights

Hi Macca,

I've never used one - but have a read a couple of articles on the net about how to make one (so my knowledge is limited at best).

The concern I have about installing the lights in the box is that it will make it difficult to change your lighting.
Depending on your subject and what you are tryng to achieve it may require moving the lights to get the best result.

Good luck thougth - and would love to see some work in progress pics of your box.

macmich
28-09-2010, 1:16pm
ray
i have been checking some lighting out and i am going to try and put the lighting on arms so the will be able move to the subject
i will post up pics and a step by step guide from the first cut of the timber
cheers macca

dredi1975
28-09-2010, 2:53pm
It would be interesting to see that stuff youre building, I made small one few months ago, just carton one and put small lamp behind it to take some shots of flowers
Ill post few shots later on when back from work
Cheers
Maciek

macmich
28-09-2010, 3:11pm
maciek
i am cleaning the shed benches etc this arvo for the start
cheers macca

macmich
28-09-2010, 8:00pm
just started project
plywood has been marked out to required size
top and bottom sheet has been screwed together ready to be cut
cheers macca

macmich
28-09-2010, 8:33pm
bottom and top been cut to shape using jigsaw and power saw
top sheet of box been marked and cut centre out of it
more tommorrow
cheers macca

I @ M
28-09-2010, 8:43pm
Great detail and good step by step construction photos macca, keep em coming. :th3:

macmich
28-09-2010, 8:58pm
getting old mate
hadto stop for the night
cheers macca

macmich
29-09-2010, 12:47pm
back to work
mark the ply for the back of light box and cut to size

macmich
29-09-2010, 12:50pm
glue and screw the back to the top and bottom sections of lightbox
and get ready for sides
please note do not use power saws without guards
i have only done this to give idea of saw depth

41jas
29-09-2010, 1:17pm
Now that's one heavy duty light box.
Better than my foam core one that got wrecked not to add had nowhere to store it.

macmich
29-09-2010, 1:41pm
yeh
i have a spot to store it and i will be using it in shed so not far to carry
its not that heavy at the moment

macmich
29-09-2010, 1:44pm
sides ripped and screwed to the top and bottom
ready for cleanup and fit curtains
i will pull screws out and fill holes prior to paint when the glue dries
cheers macca

41jas
29-09-2010, 1:47pm
The light boxes I've seen has a light to either side. It will be interesting to see how just a top light will turn out.

macmich
29-09-2010, 2:09pm
the rounded sides will be where the lights are fitted
and another light which will be adjustable will be a spotlight from the front
cheers macca

macmich
29-09-2010, 2:10pm
a quick fit of the curtains and a dash to the lighting shop to see what they have
cheers macca
i have four diffrent colour backgrounds blue black white and red

dredi1975
29-09-2010, 2:33pm
Interesting looking really heavy duty light box, mine looks funny comparing to yours , my friend has a shed and lots of tools so might have a go with better one myself
thank you for step by step guide Macca
cheers
Maciek

macmich
29-09-2010, 4:24pm
maciek
theres still a bit to go yet
i have to light it up and get it ready for painting to spruce it up a bit
its not a better one yet until i give it a go
cheers macca

dredi1975
29-09-2010, 10:56pm
Hi ,
here is one I took using mine, got ''how to do it?'' directions from some photographic magazine,
it has white piece of paper on the back wall to allow light to go through and sides and top are black, quite different to yours
cheers
Maciek

macmich
29-09-2010, 11:27pm
same principal
there are many diffrent types of tents
its just getting your lights in the right position
having your item set up right and right camera settings
i am also going to build a stand to suit my height instead of bending over
i will build to suit camera on tripod height
cheers macca

Bear Dale
29-09-2010, 11:35pm
I don't see what benefit this box is with solid sides. I think it's a design fault and over engineered.

dredi1975
30-09-2010, 12:30am
I don't see what benefit this box is with solid sides. I think it's a design fault and over engineered.

the benefit was that white rose had accentuated (darken)edges of petals in this situation and totaly white background shooting against light, dont really think it is a fault trying something different if effect satisfies the author

Dan Gamble
30-09-2010, 1:14am
This is looking great Macca.

Thanks for taking the time to document this so thoroughly for future reference. I'm keen to see the final product and what it produces.

Very nice engineering also I might add. :D

That's the second useless comment i've seen you write in as many months.

The first time was just as useless, as well as offensive, and directed at me personally.

Do you have a useful contribution to this thread? Why did you feel the need to join this thread?

What are your reasons for feeling that a well engineered unit, that is designed to suit a persons specific needs, is in any way faulty? (Apart from it possibly not having any use in your own tiny universe)

Have you also produced a thread dedicated to the light box that you have constructed? I can't seem to find it when I search the threads. Do you have an image or a post which has an image of your customised light box setup??

macmich
30-09-2010, 8:33am
jim d
the solid sides are for a reason
reason being i do not want to unfold and fold a tent up all the time
i do not want to take the lights out all the time
the sides protect the unit whilst stored in the shed
the sides are for thje lighting to be attached
and most importantly if it did not have sides i would have to by a skyhook to hold the top up
and thats fine if you think its over engineered buy a light tent
cheers macca

macmich
30-09-2010, 8:40am
dan
thanks dan
i suppose when denton corker marshall one of the most respected architectral firms in australia
designed the cheese sticks at the flemington road end of tulla freeway
i thought they were a load of crap
i suppose everyone sees everything diffrent
but i waited until i seen the finished product before making decision
cheers macca

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 11:43am
i suppose everyone sees everything diffrent

And I don't mind stating it either, regardless of what the rest of the circus (including Dan Gamble) think.
Thank God we're all not Lemmings that just coo and say "How utterly fantastic" etc etc

I think you're going to find that you're constricted eventually within the tight constraints of the box that you've designed and built. Every photo is going to end up looking virtually the same. You haven't left yourself with many options of changing the light. Something that IS photography. Even the weight I see as a minus to the build design.

Most likely I'll get jumped on once again from the sideline for having a viewpoint (or I should say a differing viewpoint) but I make no apology for that. And I think you could have arrived at a better set-up a lot more simpler with the ability to be able to change and adapt your lighting to suit.

macmich
30-09-2010, 11:48am
another reason for the box being solid i can set up drip system etc on top of unit and will be a nice solid platform
the curved sides i can fix any configuration of lighting to suit my needs
the lighting is placed in void between solid wall and curtain diffuser
i can experiment with diffrentlight configurations from top of unit i can have it diffused or remove the curtain and have direct light on subject
cheers macca

Kym
30-09-2010, 11:48am
We build stuff like this to suit our needs. At least macmich built something useful and robust. :wd:

This design may not suit others, but I would rather see someone having a go than doing nothing.

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 11:50am
the curved sides i can fix any configuration of lighting to suit my needs

How will you manage that macca? Are you going to have the solid sides removable?

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 11:51am
We build stuff like this to suit our needs. At least macmich built something useful and robust. :wd:

This design may not suit others, but I would rather see someone having a go than doing nothing.

It's untested as yet and I'm entitled to a viewpoint.

macmich
30-09-2010, 11:53am
kym
thank you for reply
once it is finished if it is no good i have a shed full of timber i go back to the drawing board
i am confident it will suit my needs
i am not going to shops or suppliers to take photos of stock
so i do not need a portable tent
and i understand it will not suit or please everyone
cheers macca

macmich
30-09-2010, 11:58am
jim d
if you want to sit back and try and pick on things at least wait until it is finished
if you have a look at the photos tou will notice box is built without muslin sides and top
and then muslin appears
it bis as simple as sliding out muslin inner
that was an engineering feat to design a slide out diffuser inner
macca

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 12:07pm
if you want to sit back and try and pick on things at least wait until it is finished
if you have a look at the photos tou will notice box is built without muslin sides and top

macca I think it's a little precious to state that I'm picking on things. I'm speaking from vast personal experience here. I have spent a small fortune on woodworking and metal working tools and machinery for my workshop on the farm over the last 35 years and used to fall victim to over engineering and over complicating things.....when they just never had to be.

I'm not picking on you, nor your design. It's constructive criticism and I think you may very well find that you've constricted yourself with the lighting when you finally start to actually use the box.

I'm just giving you a heads up on my thoughts.

Dan Gamble
30-09-2010, 12:15pm
And I don't mind stating it either, regardless of what the rest of the circus (including Dan Gamble) think.
Thank God we're all not Lemmings that just coo and say "How utterly fantastic" etc etc

I think you're going to find that you're constricted eventually within the tight constraints of the box that you've designed and built.

[SNIP]

And I think you could have arrived at a better set-up a lot more simpler with the ability to be able to change and adapt your lighting to suit.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning around your feelings Jim. It IS appreciated. (The delivery of said reasoning still being the exception unfortunately).

I see your point now though. I don't own one you see and so have never know what makes a GOOD light box.

Macca did mention the lighting would be able to "swivel" in those arcs on arms and then be able to be re-directed for back-side, side and front-side lighting on both sides... plus the gap at the top for other flexible lighting. You don't think that'll work? (even with snoot/barn doors?)

Macca did also explain why the weight would not be an issue for him. It looks too heavy for my personal liking too but that is irrelevant based on what Macca wants and needs so I believe it didn't and still doesn't warrant mentioning.

Thanks again.

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 12:22pm
I see your point now though. I don't own one you see and so have never know what makes a GOOD light box.

Dan I've really researched (a totally ridiculous amount of time and reading on the internet that would have been more productive if I had just been shooting!) and bought a crap load of stuff re: light boxes and found personally the simpler is the better option and gives you unlimited options.

It doesn't get much simpler than this and you have flexibility ...... something that can't be over rated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zARqGgHjNc

Dan Gamble
30-09-2010, 12:30pm
It doesn't get much simpler than this and you have flexibility ...... something that can't be over rated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zARqGgHjNc

That's ULTRA simple and gives an excellent result! Have seen stuff from this guy before. Don't know how I missed this one.

Still keen to see the outcome of Macca's project... I'm a bit of a tinkerer so it appeals to me on that level also. :)

Great link.

Cheers. :th3:

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 12:48pm
That's ULTRA simple and gives an excellent result! Have seen stuff from this guy before. Don't know how I missed this one.

Still keen to see the outcome of Macca's project... I'm a bit of a tinkerer so it appeals to me on that level also. :)

Great link.

Cheers. :th3:

I'm a huge tinkerer as well Dan.....I've lost count though of the times when I've been lost in the fun of designing and making something and my wife has brought me out a coffee a too the workshop and said something a long the lines of "Looks great, but how on earth are you going to lift the thing"........Do you know where I'm coming from ? :(:(:(

I've watched that video that I linked countless times now and last week made up the "sticks in the cans" (I went an extra step and painted them black :D) made up frames (couldn't locate acetate so I used white nylon) and bought foam board cheaply from Office Works and out door spotlights from Bunnings for $9.95 and made those pan reflectors out of two stainless steel bowls. One small one for the light holder rivetted onto a larger 7" bowl for the reflector.

I've been away for 5 days with my wife so I haven't as yet had a chance to use it, but it's a lot simpler than the fold up light box that I bought off ebay and all the other DIY ones that I saw on the web in my searches.

Heres some more interesting links -

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/soft-light-panel-frame

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/chaep-diy-muslin-photography-background

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/home-made-cheap-diy-backdrop-stand

Kym
30-09-2010, 1:07pm
It's untested as yet and I'm entitled to a viewpoint.

I never said anything about your posts. Your are entitled as am I.
Would I use this rig? probably not (I have a folding tent), but macmich clearly had his own idea and purpose, good on him.

macmich
30-09-2010, 1:24pm
in the end i dont really care what you think
the box suits me
it sits on a stand to the height of my tripod and camera i will not have to bend over
as i have stated it wont get moved it sits in its spot covered in the shed

and in the end i dont really care if it does not suit anyone as long as it suits me
i really dont know what collecting tools and machinery over 35 years makes you such an expert
i have been a carpenter all my life and i think i know enough
about construction of a wide range of items
i have been to light shops with the box and lighting is being supplied to suit
the project
as i said before it me that will be using it and in posts earlier i stated that i would rebuild if no good
i do not think i asked for cc on the box but then again it must be your right
so if we can just let it go back to my origanal post it would be appreciated

macmich
30-09-2010, 6:33pm
a coat of paint and get ready for lighting and stand
cheers macca

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 6:46pm
What lights are you going to be using?

macmich
30-09-2010, 7:40pm
a couple of shots
no flash on camera and a 55mm kit lens
just using 2 side lights in the void
and the second one a rough shot without flash of box hand held in the dark
cheers macca
i think i better iron the back drop

I @ M
30-09-2010, 7:45pm
Hmm, that proved two things, You are bloody handy with a circular saw and a few screws but you are in need of serious training in the operation of a steam iron. :D

If you get the "back drop" to run down and then have a bit of a curve to it at the back you will get more even light.

Right at the moment as a prototype launch it is looking good. :th3:

dredi1975
30-09-2010, 8:06pm
looks really good to me Macca :th3:

Duane Pipe
30-09-2010, 8:11pm
So far so good Maca It seems the lights are working, I agree with Andrew about the back drop
HAY Jim at least its not held together with fencing wire, tech screws and chook shit welds:lol:

macmich
30-09-2010, 8:16pm
thanks fellas
i will get onto the stand
the ironing
the other lighting
and maybe even the dripometer tommorow
thanks again
cheers macca

Bear Dale
30-09-2010, 8:33pm
HAY Jim at least its not held together with fencing wire, tech screws and chook shit welds:lol:

LOL Tek screws are a gift from God :th3:

Alpacamike
30-09-2010, 10:40pm
thanks mike
where abouts in the goldfields are you
cheers macca

About 20km south of Bendigo

macmich
30-09-2010, 10:48pm
20k south around ravenswood somewhere
cheers macca

Alpacamike
30-09-2010, 11:03pm
I think we need more people like Macca, who cares if the wheel has been invented, If we don’t keep reinventing things nothing will improve.

Alpacamike
30-09-2010, 11:05pm
:wd:I think we need more people like Macca, who cares if the wheel has been invented, If we don’t keep reinventing things nothing will improve.

Alpacamike
30-09-2010, 11:35pm
Some fluorescent light bulbs on the market include
T-16 –
T-12 –
T-8 –
T-5 –
F40T12BLB - which stand for black light blue ultraviolet light.
They can give you some intresting affects.

arthurking83
01-10-2010, 1:12am
What I want to know is, since when has "over engineering" something become a cause for criticism?

So because something is simple, it's obviously better?

filling paint cans with concrete is simple? :confused013 ... that video had to be the stupidest solution to a simple problem I think I've ever seen(except to a professional concrete painter maybe!!)

foam core! great stuff because it's lightweight and hence easy to move around.. but I'd have serious misgiving about it's durability! I hope you have a spare sheet, as this stuff breaks so easily even with the slightest breeze(I know this from vast experience in moving sheets of it from pointA to pointB)

here's a likely scenario ...

"Oooh! I need to setup my 'youbay flexible lightbox of the day' today, so I better get out and 'set it all up'(which takes time). Foam core sheet has been safely placed some place(that takes up room), and should still be in one piece(if the cat hasn't been trying to sleep on it up in the rafters, or the birds haven't pooped on it). So that one single large piece foam core has indeed survived that night, but not the trip from the rafters to the lightbox building site, as you accidentally bumped it on the post sticking out of the can of cement. So back off to OfficeWorks to source another sheet(again).. and you eventually set that side of the temporary lightbox now. On to the nylon(or acetate) sheeting which you now catch onto the remains of the stick you've just snapped in your fury of the foam core saga, and you now develop a rip in that light diffuser. So... back to Spotlight to get another sheet of nylon(again).. so by the time the 'etube more flexible lightbox' has been setup, which is now 11PM, and time for bed, the overengineering orientated product photographer has finished her duties for the day, spent some quality time on AP displaying some images and helping others with commonsense thoughts, opinions and suggestions.. while the underengineering photographer is now tired and has to come back to the actual photography of the product tomorrow, hoping the cats and pigeons don't come back to ruin the setup of this most flexible lightbox!

:rolleyes:

Macca: the only thing I'd have done different to your setup is had backing on the rear of the box. Is it required, wouldn't it have been better to have been open(as the front is) for more flexible lighting(if you ever require some rear lighting too, and to route the wiring to the side curtains easier too. So in place of the solid rear, two posts as per the front section for the solid sides to attach too.
Also those(MDF??) sides could have had a cutout too, as per the top, for more flexibility and ease of access for the side lighting.

NOTE: I have no idea on what makes a good lightbox, and I have no intention to built my own(by that may change in the future).. I just like to think I see things with come common sense/practicality, and if I don't see that, I have a need to ask what and why.

anyhow! .... despite what others think you may need, this type of self sufficiency is good to see.

geoffsta
01-10-2010, 8:20am
Just wondering... Could you have made it so that you could add light from the sides as well?

Bear Dale
01-10-2010, 9:01am
filling paint cans with concrete is simple? :confused013 ... that video had to be the stupidest solution to a simple problem I think I've ever seen(except to a professional concrete painter maybe!!)

foam core! great stuff because it's lightweight and hence easy to move around.. but I'd have serious misgiving about it's durability! I hope you have a spare sheet, as this stuff breaks so easily even with the slightest breeze(I know this from vast experience in moving sheets of it from pointA to pointB)

The stick in a can is a fantastic simple, cheap idea that can be utilized for a heap of things in a "studio" and foam core board is an entirely different product than what you think you're talking about with your "vast experience".......

NOTE: I have no idea on what makes a good lightbox

^ That bit was extraneous to your post.

macmich
01-10-2010, 9:18am
arthur
thanks for the comments the only reason i have gone solid is i only have to put a slide down the front and it is dustproof
i will be keeping it in shed and i do a fair bit of work out there
the side lighting should be right
i had a lighting tech check the box out and ordered lights to suit
to access side lighting the inner curtains just slide out
once again i take note of your usefulinformation

geoff
the lights are hidden in the side of the unit
thanks for the comments fellows
cheers macca

Bear Dale
01-10-2010, 9:25am
arthur
i had a lighting tech check the box out and ordered lights to suit

What lights have you ordered?

geoffsta
01-10-2010, 10:24am
After having a chance at seeing the whole thread. (All the thread didn't show this morning with because of a database error) Sorry for adding my useless post.
I can see your points, and what you are trying to achieve.
I see you are like me and love to get in the shed and design and build something that is going to make our lives easier (Just built a home studio in the shed) who cares if it ends up costing more than what you can get it E-Bay. The point is we have a passion, and these projects feed that passion.

As for the negative posts.... Let them come up with something better, and post some of their shots as proof.

macmich
01-10-2010, 12:23pm
geoff
the materials cost nothing for the timber
i got the muslin from a old light tent that was stuffed
the lights cost me around 45 dollars
i had the paint left from jobs
and extra lighting is what i had
so all up its really cost bugger all and i got what i want
i hope you keep up the shed work
for me it keeps me busy and the mind ticking over
cheers macca
ps your post wasnt useless

Bear Dale
01-10-2010, 12:42pm
Are you going to tell us what lighting you used or not?

arthurking83
01-10-2010, 3:46pm
Dust! .. yep makes sense.

^ That bit was extraneous to your post.

not necessarily!

see this part..

.... I just like to think I see things with come common sense/practicality....[/I]

As a confirmed tinker myself, I like to see what and how others do their tinkering too.. so the relevance of my comment was that, even tho I've never made one, I can understand what they are and why their needed, and that what's suitable for one person may not be for another. If the time comes for me to build my own, then I'll have some idea on what would be required.
When you do it for yourself, there is a general accepted understanding that you use the materials you feel most comfortable with.
I hate cement, and would never make posts using cement in a paint can, unless the paint can has a very wide base relative to the height of the post, which then makes them a lot heavier than need be ... etc, etc.
I believe there are easier ways to make sturdy posts, that would have a lower weight to stability ratio.

as per Jim's question... what type of lighting are you using macmich.

macmich
01-10-2010, 4:16pm
arthur
the side lights are 15 watt flourecents which i thought would not be good enough
but the light tech is quite sure they will be right for the job on the sides
by the looks of it he is right
i have got a couple of spotlights for the front and top that i will fit when ready
i had a look on sites for tents and one of them supplying
tents is using the same flouros for the sides
these are the last photos and not very good at that until i finish the stand off
cheers macca
you can see by the height of stand that the back will not have to bent over all the time
and the wheels makes it easy to move around

macmich
01-10-2010, 4:19pm
i will cc my own post
they are the worst shots i have ever seen
cheers macca

Kym
01-10-2010, 4:30pm
That's the best LB I've ever seen, complete with pedestal ;)

Bear Dale
01-10-2010, 5:14pm
The 15watt flouros look like they're pumping out a lot of light.

macmich
01-10-2010, 5:21pm
thank you
wait until its painted up and the front spotlights are attached
cheers macca

Bear Dale
01-10-2010, 5:26pm
Whats it look like with just one side lit up? You could get some nice effects I reckon like that.

Bunnings have $9.99 spotlights for sale, you can throw away the bulb that comes with them and get an Osram 60 watt narrow beam spot bulb for around $4.00 (the ones with the sillver reflector built in)....could be good (and cheap) for a front spottie if you haven't already bought one.

geoffsta
01-10-2010, 11:07pm
JimD. Good to see that you have come around.
The first few post were a little confusing I must admit. Then I seen were Macca was leading and started to get excited with the concept.

Macmich. After seeing the design in action with the photos, I am totally impressed.
You could sell them, or if you are a little like me, you could post the specs for others to make their own. (As long as they write "Designed By MacMich" on the side. :D

Dan Gamble
02-10-2010, 12:48am
Hey Macca.

This is looking brilliant so far, as far as the end product and the quality of shots to date.

Glad you found good lights too. :th3:

Have you managed to get them to be more "directional" as you were originally anticipating? Would you use a pseudo "barn door" solution or do you have something else in mind? I was curious earlier if some sort of snoot filter in front of the fluro's might work as well.

It's just that at the moment you seem to have a pretty full wash on both sides given how omnidirectional the fluro's are.

Jee. Guess you could even paint 2/3 of the back of them black as well. Couldn't you?

These are just my ideas but what have you considered?

fillum
02-10-2010, 1:31am
Looks like a good job Macca.

Are the side lights tubes or the compact ("curly") type?

Edit: Just had another look at the photos in post #72 and can see a round hot spot in the first so I'm assuming they are the compact type.

Cheers.

macmich
02-10-2010, 9:21am
thanks for the feedback
geoff i am glad every thing calmed down

dan
i am going to sit down and think of what changes need to be done
the box is only a trial there is a couple of diffrent things i will do to the box itself when i build the one i want to use
so i will be taking note of every ones ideas
i think most of my different lighting will be done from front mounted lighting
the original thought of this was to keep everything fixed to the box to stop the need of set up all the time
but i dont mind stuffing about with adjusting front lighting

jim
i have no hard feelings over the issues that arose over this post
i will take note of your suggestions
i will take box down to lighting tech once i rebuild in the next week or so
and get him to source the best lights for the job

thanks phil
you answered your own question

cheers macca

Dan Gamble
02-10-2010, 11:35am
I was anticipating fluro "tubes" when you were talking about it and not the ECO bulbs...

hmmm. this would also mean you could have vertical movement as well as depth (front to back) movement with the bulbs/fluros.... Once they're directional that is. :D

A lot of light box work involves having a flexible front light anyway doesn't it?

I imagine you'll be playing a bit with it this weekend. Have fun.

macmich
02-10-2010, 12:03pm
thanks dan
i will be giving it a bit of a hiding

Bear Dale
02-10-2010, 12:09pm
Mac,

This is the Bunnings light -

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_portable-floodlight-with-par38-globe_5286.aspx

I cut the lead near the body and put an inline switch in for convenience on my ones and made a couple of the concrete "stick in a can" light holders with $2.00 Bunnings clamps.

The floodlights are Edison screw and after trying heaps of different lights I found that Osram Halogen Spot R63 ES running at 5500k (at Bunnings but you need to search for them) were the best for front lighting and clamping them on the "stick in a cans" made it a simple thing to be able to move them about and alter the direction of the light beam emitting from the R63's.

geoffsta
02-10-2010, 1:28pm
JimD.
Would that heat from that light be a bit of a problem? I know they get extreamly hot, it could be a risk in such a confined area! :confused013

Bear Dale
02-10-2010, 3:36pm
JimD.
Would that heat from that light be a bit of a problem? I know they get extreamly hot, it could be a risk in such a confined area! :confused013

No because it's only a low wattage bulb (the Osram Halogen Spot R63 ES ) the 150w bulb that comes with the lampholder from Bunnings is a heat beast and casts a really yellow light when used with a camera...keep that for BBQ's and lighting your driveway etc :)

And the spotlights will most likely (at least for me) be a few feet, if not more away residing on their "stick in a can" and pointed towards the inside of the light box.

Chinook
07-10-2010, 12:08pm
I have really enjoyed your step by step guide Macca. Looks great & something hubby would enjoy making.

41jas
07-10-2010, 12:20pm
Wow you have done really well with this. Painted and all.
I've missed 5 pages of comments.
My suggestion if not already said.....the lining you use inside, have it curved in the corner so when you do take a shot you won't see the bend in the corner. It keeps the light more even. You can change the colour to what ever you like.
You have done a great job and looks as if you have shown some people up.
Enjoy it.

Kerro
07-10-2010, 1:48pm
Well done Macca. Awesome tutorial.
Can I place a pre-order for when it goes into full production.:cool:

macmich
07-10-2010, 2:27pm
kerro
stay tuned i am in the midst of a new design that will blow this one out of the water
thanks for your comments
cheers macca

crf529
07-09-2011, 12:26pm
Dredging a bit here, but did you go through with the new design?

macmich
07-09-2011, 1:00pm
at the moment
i dont like using my power saws and rip saws etc
due to medication
but once i am right i am going to do one
i just use a card table with a piece of 3mm mdf going up the back resting against the wall
and i peg my diffrent coloured backgrounds to it
cheers macca