PDA

View Full Version : A RAW question

Tonym
25-09-2010, 10:02pm
would anyone know if it is posible to convert more than one photo from RAW to Jpeg at a time? Today I took 100 shots and had to convert from RAW to Jpeg one at a time so I could put them into an email and send to a friend and it took like 3hrs. :confused013

RaoulIsidro
25-09-2010, 10:09pm
Open up DPP and select the folder with all the images.
On the top right of the window there is a button called "Batch Process".
Click this and the pop up window will be self explanatory.
You could also resize all files to how big you want, for your emails.
Cheers!

...also, check if your camera can record Raw+jpg so you won't have to do it like this next time :)

TOM
26-09-2010, 8:25am
adobe lightroom is the 'standard' programme for such tasks, but there ae others available for batch processing. it will also have presets, and you can create your own presets also.

Tonym
26-09-2010, 5:02pm
Thankyou both for your reply, I have checked out these programs and have found how to do it . My camera does record in both and I have now altered my settings so next time it will be in both RAW and Jpeg.

arthurking83
26-09-2010, 6:16pm
Thankyou both for your reply, I have checked out these programs and have found how to do it . My camera does record in both and I have now altered my settings so next time it will be in both RAW and Jpeg.

There is an easier manner with which to do this, without impacting on space limitations on your memory card(I'll explain that in a moment)

First up, the way I see it, the only reason to shoot in jpg mode, would be for the extra speed that this gives in the camera.. whether for simple burst mode speed, or a buffer advantage.
We all know that raw offers the best quality for capture allowing more scope for processing, so the jpgs are really for convenience factor, or the previously mentioned speed factor.

raw images contain a jpg within them, so to reduce the impact on the card by shooting raw+jpg, shoot raw, and use a program to extract the embedded jpgs in the raw. It takes only seconds to do so.
So far I know of two good programs that can do this, one being Exiftools and the other being IFJR(Instant JPEG From Raw). You load this program onto your PC, and it gives you the option to extract the embedded jpg from the rightclick context menu.

HERE's (http://www.rawworkflow.com/rawworkflow-faqs/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/how-do-i-get-ijfr-work-on-a-mac.html) the link to IJFR, which you have to 'register' using a valid email address for. Not a problem and you won't get spam from doing so.. they send you the link to the program.

the beauty of this system:
If you shoot 400 images for the session in raw +jpg you then have to also trawl through the jpgs to weed out the good from the bad, using the IJFR system, you highlight only the raw files that you want as jpgs, rightclick, select IJFR and they'll get deposited into a (separate)folder where the raw files are stored.

anyhow!.. that's just another alternative.. and from memory it's faster than raw-> jpg conversion by any program that I've come across(of which Bibble5 is the fastest that I've come across).

kadon
26-09-2010, 6:36pm
This thread again demonstrates yet again why I kekep reading through the forum when I have a chance, found another question I did not know I had, with a answer which will help me further .

Thanks.

bricat
27-09-2010, 7:11am
Yes I don't say much but I do read many threads and find the answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet:)