PDA

View Full Version : Macro Settings Help - Canon 100mm

ccrnkovic
25-09-2010, 8:58pm
I have just got my new Canon 100mm and was wondering what is the best settings and what to shoot in for Macro photographs. Should I shoot in manual or automatic, any advice would be great, thanks

ZedEx
25-09-2010, 9:16pm
That's a really open ended question really. Macro photography is like any other kind of photography, it will depend on the situation! I wouldn't shoot in full manual unless you know what you're doing or can easily change settings on the fly. As a general rule of thumb, you would want to shoot in Av on the mode dial (apeture priority), and try to aim for f5.6 to f8 for a some depth of field with optimal sharpness. Use your ISO to keep your shutter speed about 1/125th of a second handheld. Do not use the on camera flash as it was never designed for macro work. If it's not bright and sunny you might struggle, so you may need to invest in a macro ring flash or get a TTL cord and a speedlite to light your subject.

I have just got my new Canon 100mm and was wondering what is the best settings and what to shoot in for Macro photographs. Should I shoot in manual or automatic, any advice would be great, thanks

britinozz
25-09-2010, 9:27pm
At the begining of this forum there is a section on macro evry thing from flash and what settings to use it was put togeather by Steady Hands and well worth a look at.