PDA

View Full Version : Solution for waterproof bag

Tanne
25-09-2010, 6:55pm
Travelling soon and will be walking up rivers and or on canoes. Was thinking of just purchasing a general camera bag then a drybag and popping my camera/camerabag into the dry bag when I am in a canoe etc. Anyone done anything like this before?

Tanne
26-09-2010, 3:00pm
Well I bought a drybag for $20 - beats paying $300 for the lowpro waterproof bag! Did see a waterproof backpack for $90 and considered placing foam in it myself and putting a camera in there but I think the dry bag will be good as I can just fold it up and leave in my normal camera bag for when needed!

OzzieTraveller
26-09-2010, 7:34pm
G'day both of you

I don't know what a "dry bag" is
Can you provide more info for me + others???

thanks
Regards, Phil

ZedEx
26-09-2010, 9:07pm
As far as I can see, it is a bag that has the tendency to not be wet :p

but seriously, yes I would also like a little more info on dry bags and how effective they are :)

G'day both of you

thanks
Regards, Phil

Boo53
26-09-2010, 9:28pm
Tanne

There are dry bags and real dry bags

For showers, moderately heavy rain the sea to summit silnylon bags would be perfectly ok, but for what you're describing you would need to go to one suitable for ocean kayaking, or the like, but otherwise should do the trick

Tanne
26-09-2010, 10:19pm
G'day both of you

thanks
Regards, Phil

lol! Hello from both of us to! hehe :)

Heres one shop that has some dry bags but if you just google dry bags heaps come up!
http://www.ausseakayak.com.au/index.php?mod=Shop&file=Index&cat=60&menu=shop
Image search link (hope it works!)
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1TSAU_ENAU393&q=dry%20bag&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1106&bih=501

hehe Zed! Yes they keep things dry and adventure type characters use them in and around water to keep gear dry but as Boo said I think some are more better at doing that job then others. I don't know much about them thats why I asked in here but maybe should try a kayaking/camping forum!! The one I got and some of the cheaper ones can't be submerged - if only for a few seconds maybe.

Boo thanks so much for the info! Have been trying to find if the one I got is okay and am still not sure - I got a sea-sak from bcf. I have a week before I go still - going to still visit some bag shops in the city in the next few days. See whats there!

This is a bag I was looking at but decided against it as I want a shoulder bag for most the trip when Im not near/in water - http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/travel-luggage/seattle-sling-dry-bag/

reaction
17-05-2011, 5:29pm
crumplers tend to stay dry sitting in a few inches

Snow
14-11-2011, 7:55pm
More good ideas. I take pics of watersports from inside the tow boat and live infear of getting my great wet when not in use.

Kafter244
08-12-2011, 1:25pm
I've been using sea-to-summit dry bags for years, camping, hiking, climbing, sailing and kayaking; they're great! One of my friends had a problem kayaking once when he folded over the top of the bag, but clipped it the wrong way round...all his stuff got drenched when he capsized! lol. A good lesson in paying attention to using your kit correctly! ;-)

sea-to-summit are good though, I have found.