PDA

View Full Version : d300s focus problems

Herp Affinity
24-09-2010, 9:05pm
Hi all. I have owned a d300s for a few months now and used it fairly extensively. Only recently though have I used the continuous focus function. First thing I noticed after using continuous focus flat out that it stopped focusing after 10 minutes or so of use. I had to turn the camera off for a few seconds turn it back to single servo and then switch back to continuous. I thought it may have been my lens (120 - 400m sigma) however I switched to another lens and the same thing happened. Secondly I notice that when i switch my camera on when it is in continuous focusing mode that it makes a squeeking noise. When I turn the camera on in single servo mode the squeeking noise is not present. My questions is, is this a problem with this camera or may it be a faulty item. Any input is appreciated.

I @ M
24-09-2010, 9:21pm
It may be a case of 'dirty' electrical contacts between the camera and lens when using AFS / HSM lenses.

Prolonged use of electrical equipment can result in a build up of heat, heat increases electrical resistance.

Try cleaning the lens and camera body contacts with a microfibre cloth.

Herp Affinity
28-09-2010, 11:22am
Thank you for your response I @ M. I have tried your suggestion with no success. I think it might be time to send it back to Nikon as the squeek is now present across all focusing modes. Can anyone who has a D300s confirm if their unit makes and audible "squeek" on start up?

rellik666
28-09-2010, 1:08pm
Nope can't say I have ever experienced any "squeeking" on start up....mine makes no noise what so ever....only noise I ever get is from the lens itself when focussing....

Roo

jasevk
28-09-2010, 1:11pm
Do not worry about the squeak on start-up! I think you will find that its an automatic sensor clean.... you can turn this off in the menu. It uses high frequency something or rather to clean the sensor.

wolffman
28-09-2010, 2:37pm
Do not worry about the squeak on start-up! I think you will find that its an automatic sensor clean.... you can turn this off in the menu. It uses high frequency something or rather to clean the sensor.

I'm surprised that would be audible but easy enough to try turning off.
Maybe the little nikon demon who paints the picture in the camera is getting asthmatic. (poor discworld humor)

Herp Affinity
28-09-2010, 4:06pm
@ jasevk. You are so clever. Thanks.

kiwi
28-09-2010, 4:09pm
my d300 never squeeked

but then i again it never had focus issues either

i think a service is in order

RaoulIsidro
28-09-2010, 4:30pm
Where is the sqeaking sound coming from? From the lens or from the camera body?
Are you using AF-S or AF-D and older lenses which require the protruding focus "pin" to turn the focus on the lens? The sqeak could be coming from the ultrasonic ring, from the focus "pin", or from the focus motor on the camera body. Isolate where the sqeak is coming from.

Herp Affinity
28-09-2010, 4:33pm
As per jasevk's post. The sound is the sensor cleaner at startup. Thanks for your all responses.

jasevk
29-09-2010, 2:00pm
As per jasevk's post. The sound is the sensor cleaner at startup. Thanks for your all responses.

No probs, I had similar concerns with mine when I first got it, nothing to worry about :)

rellik666
29-09-2010, 2:08pm
No probs, I had similar concerns with mine when I first got it, nothing to worry about :)

I'm sorry....it has this feature....hum:Doh: