PDA

View Full Version : Editing in DPP

Walker
23-09-2010, 2:57pm
Am after some help as I cannot seem to get pictures processed in Canon's DPP (digital photo professional) to show corrected colours as well as other changes when viewed in programs such as PhotoShop or Windows Photo Viewer. The edits made in DPP do not seem to be carried over into or recognised by the other programs. I shoot in RAW, and "natural" picture style, edit in DPP (version 3.8) and then convert to JPEG. I find DPP easy to use and like the ability to change picture styles. Its sharpening and noise reduction algorithms also seem pretty good to me. However, if the edits are not visible in anything other than DPP, this restricts viewing options.
As a newcomer, I would like to upload some shots and get some feedback, but would like to have edits included.
Would be grateful for any suggestions.

SnowA
24-09-2010, 11:35am
Hi Walker,

Just to clarify, is the problem that the edits are not being carried over into the jpg file, and you are viewing the jpg file with PS or Windows viewer?

Or are you talking about viewing the edits (I assume saved) to the raw CR/CR2 file with PS/WV?

SnowA
24-09-2010, 11:41am
I just did a test, and I think you mean you can't see the edits on the raw file?

I edited a raw file in DPP and then saved a copy of it (Save As), then opened the copy of the raw file in (1) DPP, (2) Irfanview, (3) ufraw, (4) windows viewer.

Only in DPP could I see the edits that I had made.

I don't know why it happens either - maybe it's something to do with differences in the way that DPP writes the edits to the raw file and other viewers/editors reads the raw file?

A possible workaround could be to make the edits and do a Convert and Save to TIFF which you could then view/edit further in PS?

andylo
24-09-2010, 11:42am
Walker, I was a DPP user and I have fell into the same problem at the earlier stage. What I found is you have to save each of your raw file works (specifically hit Ctrl-S) after you finish editing a photo, before you convert it.

andylo
24-09-2010, 12:47pm
A bit more supplementary info.

With DPP, it will automatically 1/2 saved the changes you made. Which means: if you make a change to a raw file AND without doing Ctrl-S (to actually save the file). Quit DPP and comes back, all the changes will remain within DPP BUT it hasn't apply the changes to the actual raw file. (Hence other program cannot see the changes, as the changes only recorded in DPP referencing the particular raw file)

Once you hit Ctrl-S and actually save the file, the changes will apply to the raw file, and can be seen in any other program.

Hope it all make sense

Art Vandelay
24-09-2010, 12:53pm
It does it like that so it doesn't actually edit the raw file. Which is a good thing. Lightroom is the same, as are most others I think.

In DPP the changes stay in an attached xml file that is only read by DPP. Lightroom stays in the catalogue section. Once you export or 'process' the raw as a jpeg or tiff, it exports the new file with the changes you've made.

Same as the Canon in camera settings like the picture styles, they arent read by other raw converters, only DPP.

Walker
26-09-2010, 4:30pm
Many thanks for your replies, everyone.
I do save and then convert to either JPEG or TIFF. I can display the edited, saved and then converted file (either a JPEG or a TIFF) in both DPP and in Windows Viewer at the same time. Each display of the same image takes up half the screen, so a close comparison is possible. I have just finished running some more tests, with some outlandish editings and its wierd, but some changes, albeit small, do get through and I don't know which ones they are! Sharpening doesn't seem to make it and picture style I would doubt. Conversely, when I have edited a RAW image in Photoshop, saved it as a TIFF and then opened the image in DPP, the editing looks way over the top. Its a shame as I find images in DPP, whether they are RAW, JPEG or TIFF look really good (to my eye at least) and Photoshop is so arcane and clumsy by comparison. Guess I'll just have to come to grips with behemoth. Again thankyou SnowA, andylo and Art for your comments and suggestions. Cheers!
Walker

Walker
26-09-2010, 5:36pm
Quick update on this - for me - frustrating issue. Just did four lots of separate edits on the one image. All edits were saved and then converted to TIFFs. First one was just picture style, second was just sharpening, third was just contrast and fourth was just colour saturation. Resulting TIFF compared at 100% side by side in DPP and Windows Photo Viewer. Sharpening was the only edit that appeared to make it through via TIFF from DPP to Photo Viewer. Picture style was not recognised, with contrast and saturation edits appearing to have some, but reduced impact. I have a reasonable screen (H-IPS) which is calibrated every fortnight so I trust the display. Am still concerned I may be missing something here, or doing something wrong, especially in the light of Art's comment "once you export or process the raw as a jpeg of tiff, it exports the new file with the changes you've made".
One last try before I leave this behind!

ameerat42
26-09-2010, 5:45pm
Color spaces used between the various programs?
Added as an edit...
And a Q of my own on a point raised in this thread: Do people actually save the edited raw file? I usually save my raw edits as 16-bit tiffs and leave the raw untouched. (AFAIKAL). Am.

Walker
01-10-2010, 1:54pm
Problem solved. The following link provided a solution - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=34789037 . In DPP, under Tools, then Preferences, then Colour Management, the colour matching settings for the monitor have to be set to the icc profile the monitor is using. (icc profile generated by i1 calibration unit). Image is uploaded into Photoshop, and DPP colours and other edits such as contrast, saturation, white balance etcetera are there. Image then saved as a TIFF and when opened in Windows Photo viewer, again all is there.
In reply to ameerat42's question, I save edits to raw files, but retain the original untouched as well. Its the edited raw I convert from CR2 to TIFF or JPEG.
One last thing - how many people regularly calibrate their monitors with an external device like i1 or Spyder?