PDA

View Full Version : K-5 official discussion thread (not rumors)

Kym
21-09-2010, 9:14am
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092020pentaxk5preview.asp

http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2010/09/pentax-k-5-arrives-along-with-new-18.html

K-5 with DA 18-135

Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions

* Custom image function for distinctive finishing touches: letting users easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image.
* Versatile digital filter function: The K-5’s digital filter function allows the user to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly individualized visual expressions without requiring a computer.
* Cross process mode with three options: The K-5 features the unique cross process mode, in which the camera automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colours.
* HDR (High Dynamic Range) function: The K-5 features the HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures, without requiring a computer.

In addition it has…

* Electronic level function, with a newly added tilt confirmation tool
* Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes
* High-sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction level control for different sensitivity settings
* RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format
* Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch wide-view colour LCD monitor with 921,000 dots
* 77-segment multi-pattern metering system for extra-accurate light measurement
* DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism
* Long battery life, for recording of 1,100 images with full recharge
* User-friendly Hyper control system, to flexibly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions
* Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) and black-out (underexposed) areas
* Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
* CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance level to emphasize primary colours of sunset scenes
* Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
* D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional) for extra power supply with an exclusive rechargeable lithium-ion battery or six AA-size batteries
* Colour-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal colour design
* PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package

The K-5 will be available from mid-late October 2010.

Kym
21-09-2010, 9:22am
http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-5/

Sensor: Type: CMOS w primary color filter and integrated Shake/Dust Reduction sensor movement system Size: 23.7 x 15.7mm Color depth: 8 bits/channel JPG, 14 bits/channel RAW Effective pixels: 16.3 MP Total pixels: 16.9 MP Recorded resolutions Still: 16M (4928x3264), 10M (3936x2624), 6M (3072x2048), 2M (1728x1152) Movie (resolution/FPS): 1920x1080p25, 1280x720p30/25, 640x480p30/25 Quality levels: **** Premium, *** Best, ** Better, * Good Dust Removal: DR II (ultrasonic vibration to low pass filter) with Dust Alert function

Shutter: Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-run, focal plane shutter Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec (1/3 or 1/2 steps), Bulb

Focus System: Type: SAFOX IX+ TTL phase-difference 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system with light wavelength sensor Focus modes: AF Single (w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF Continuous (w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual Focus point adjustment: Auto 11 Point, Auto 5 Point, User-Selectable, Center AF assist: Yes, via dedicated LED AF assist lamp

LCD Monitor: Type: 3.0” TFT color LCD with brightness/color adjustment and AR coating Resolution: 921,000 dots Wide angle viewable: Yes LIVE VIEW Type: TTL by CMOS image sensor Field Of View: 100% Display Modes: Magnification (2-6X AF, 2-10X MF), Grid Overlay (4x4, Golden Ratio, Scale), Bright/Dark Indication, Histogram Autofocus: Yes, Contrast + Face Detection, Contrast Detection, Phase Difference

Metering System: Type: TTL open-aperture 77 segment metering Sensitivity range: EV 0 to 22 (ISO 100, 50mm F1.4) Multi-segment: Yes (77 segments) Center weighted: Yes Spot: Yes Exposure compensation: +/- 5 EV (1/3 and 1/2 steps) Exposure lock: Yes Exposure bracketing: Yes (2, 3, or 5 frames, up to +/- 2 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps)

Viewfinder: Type: Pentaprism Coverage (field of view): 100% Magnification: 0.92X (w 50mm F1.4 at infinity) Standard focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte II (interchangeable) Diopter adjustment: -2.5m to 1.5m Depth of field preview: Optical (diaphragm stop-down), Digital

ISO Sensitivity: Auto: ISO 100-12800 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to ISO 80-51200, Bulb mode up to ISO 1600

Image Stabilization: Type: Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction with rotational compensation (4 stops max) Electronic level function: Yes, verification via viewfinder and LCD panel

Storage Media: Internal memory: n/a Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC (via firmware update)

Kym
21-09-2010, 9:25am
From Yvon

Pentax also introduces a new lens. The Pentax DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens. Wow, that's a mouth full! In 35mm format, this is the equivalent of 27.5mm - 207mm. That's a zoom ratio of 7.5 times. This is a weather-resistant lens and complements the Pentax weather resistant DSLRs. This zoom lens has a DC motor built into the lens, assuring a fast and smooth autofocus operation. The lens incorporates Extra-Low Dispersion glass element, a hybrid aspherical element and a glass molded aspherical element in it's optic. The diaphramg is completely rounded, producing excellent bokeh. The front element is coated with Pentax's Super Protect coating, repelling dust, water and grease. That's a great all around lens.

Kym
21-09-2010, 9:28am
DPreview preview

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk5/ (compares K-7, K-5, and K-r)

Cage
21-09-2010, 10:28am
Thanks for all the info Kym.

Hmmmm, MSRP $US1,599.95 = $AU1694.14 at today's RBA rate. That was for body only, as well as for body + 18-55mm kit lens. Huh ?

Wonder how much our local distributor will take us for?

Was surprised looking on Amazon to still see new K20D's for $US1926.59 with the 16-45mm lens.

It will be interesting to see how the new AF system stacks up in tests, and also how good the expanded ISO is. Whoopee, 80-51,200. Hell, I'd be delighted with no-noise usage at 1600.

Well if it all turns out to be as good as it looks on paper, it's on my wish list when the dust settles and prices drop.

Cheers

Kevin

Kym
21-09-2010, 10:33am
Well if it all turns out to be as good as it looks on paper, it's on my wish list when the dust settles and prices drop.

Tempting yes, but worth a few months wait. Maybe 2011. Might be worth skipping for the next one?

The noise performance is the only thing that really interests me. And maybe the extra 2fps for wildlife.

The price is about what the K-7 was at first.

Master12
21-09-2010, 8:18pm
The K7 will be a bargain when sold as a run-out model when K5 arrives.

exwintech
22-09-2010, 8:57am
Master12 - Might be in Brizzie - but in Sydney the K-M with Pentax 18-55mm still sells for more than the K-X with Pentax 18-55mm... $799.00 for the K-M, and $717.00 for the K-X.

So the K7 might go "up" in price when the K-5 is released... Maybe discontinued Pentaxes suddenly gain an additional "rarity value"....! :)

PS: I do have a screenshot of those K-M and K-X prices - as it does seem somewhat odd...

Dave.

ZedEx
22-09-2010, 9:23am
i got some KM's in the shop when the K-x first came out, and I was selling them for more than the k-x. HOWEVER, it was with a different lens, certainly not an 18-55mm kit lens (from memory, a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 i think??) was a very limited special from CR Kennedy (ptx supplier) which I managed to score a few units.

I'd say they're selling the KM for more as they had too much old stock, and can't get a credit from the supplier. The k-x has since gotten cheaper so a lot of dealers would be stuck in an annoying position where they probably can't drop that price any further before going under cost price. But hey, they really should be getting a wriggle on, it's almost 12 months since the k-m finished up and i'd be trying to scoop those puppies out the door in a very fast, comical fashion! :p

Master12 - Might be in Brizzie - but in Sydney the K-M with Pentax 18-55mm still sells for more than the K-X with Pentax 18-55mm... $799.00 for the K-M, and $717.00 for the K-X.

So the K7 might go "up" in price when the K-5 is released... Maybe discontinued Pentaxes suddenly gain an additional "rarity value"....! :)

PS: I do have a screenshot of those K-M and K-X prices - as it does seem somewhat odd...

Dave.

reaction
22-09-2010, 9:54am
Is it supposed to be 'up' or 'down' from K7? It seems quite similar.
Maybe the K7 replacements will get more AF points?

exwintech
22-09-2010, 11:22am
ZedEx - That's DCW in Sydney - the page and prices are still there as of 11:15am Eastern.

There was no intention to mean anything against Digital Camera Warehouse - anything but!

I've bought 2 cameras, a tripod, a Hoya 58mm polariser, cards, so on, there over the last 2 years. They don't patronise or act condescendingly towards people buying non-DSLRs, and will take the time to discuss and advise with us newies.

When I needed a new tripod for the HS10, it had to be fairly strong, but light, and fold down as compactly as possible - to fit in a carry-bag, as I don't have a car, now. I said I'd be getting a K-X in a few months, or whatever replaces it - so preferably the tripod should also suit that.

They actually took the time to set 3 up and show how they worked - and I bought a Slik F740, for a mere $45.00, and that's working very well. They said it would be okay for an entry-level DSLR - and the weights of lenses I said I'd be able to afford - but larger lenses would need a more substantial tripod.

So, I'll be going back there for my K-R early next year...!

Dave.

MattC
22-09-2010, 5:08pm
Well it looks like it would be a worthwhile step up from my K20, but just looking at the specs, I am left wondering why if they are using a electronic shutter, that they can't increase the flash sync from 1/180th?

For those already using the K7, it is probably not such a large step up, are you going to upgrade?
As for me, I would certainly like to upgrade, but the price would have to drop a fair bit first.

KevPride
22-09-2010, 8:05pm
Still getting used to K7, whilst I would love the new features I will wait quite a while, I went from K10 and missed the K20. I need better lenses 1st.

If people start raving over the changes then might get me thinking!!!.

Master12
23-09-2010, 8:36am

Dave.

The last batch of K20D was sold for $899 in Brisbane as run-outs!:lol:

Master12
23-09-2010, 8:37am
P.S. K20D body only.

K10D
24-09-2010, 8:40am
All of the data, so far The K5 looks good. I missed the K20 and went from a K10 to the K7. A big enough difference.

I'll be looking to see what follows the K5 before I get another pentax body. My only concern is the SDM lenses, will they speed up on the K5?

Regards

kyteflyer
25-09-2010, 9:04am
I opted to sell my K-x because it lacked some of the features I had become used to on the K200D, but K5 looks like a really good upgrade. I'll be watching the discount houses, I guess. Part of the attraction of Pentax for me has been that its relatively inexpensive to buy and own, by comparison with the others... K5 is getting up there.

Something puzzles me, though. Numbers in models usually increase... Wonder why Pentax went from K7 to K5... to the uninitiated it looks like a downgrade. (wonder why they didn't just stick with the existing nomenclature and go K30D, K40D etc)

Kym
25-09-2010, 9:27am
If the K-5 follows the form of the K-7 (and our $ stays in the .90s) then I'm guessing
$1,600 on release
$1,250 in the new year

Numbers ... 7D < 5D < 1D (another brand)

ZedEx
25-09-2010, 10:12am
Numbers ... 7D < 5D < 1D (another brand)

This is true, however when changing models within either tier, Canon doesn't say go from 5D to a 4D... With any pro camera in the Canon lineiup they designated a 'mark 2', 'mark 3' etc. Nikon usually add an 's' to show a new model in a pro camera. and increase the numbers in the D*x lineup for example from D2 to D3. Numbering down from K7 to K5 will add a whole bunch of confusion when they get to k1 and can't go any smaller :p Bring on the K-negative-3 i say! :)

Kym
25-09-2010, 12:32pm
Who knows, better then the *ist naming.
How do we explain K-m K-x K-r ?

JM Tran
25-09-2010, 1:02pm
All of the data, so far The K5 looks good. I missed the K20 and went from a K10 to the K7. A big enough difference.

I'll be looking to see what follows the K5 before I get another pentax body. My only concern is the SDM lenses, will they speed up on the K5?

Regards

I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.

ZedEx
25-09-2010, 1:58pm
Who knows, better then the *ist naming.
Who do we explain K-m K-x K-r ?

Yes, kudos to them for dropplling the *ist. That was plain bonkers. And yes, Km, kx kr is a bit odd also. I was hoping that most major camera brands would have settled out their naming by now, but they're all wacko to some extent. Nikon can't make up it's mind either in the entry level to enthusiast dSLR lineup.

MattC
25-09-2010, 5:23pm
I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.

I think abysmal might be a bit harsh :) - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.

JM Tran
25-09-2010, 8:59pm
I think abysmal might be a bit harsh :) - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.

No I stand by my comment of abysmal, same with many many other professionals who have moved away from Pentax for work due to its flash and AF system. Canon and Nikon offer wireless flash, Sony is not a big player yet lol so I dont pay attention to them:)

Why should we put up with a Pentax system that is inaccurate in its metering half the time when the subject is in testing conditions ie. under variable lighting or blown clothes? Thats not good enough. Slower recycle time than the others, and not weather sealed to match the sealed bodies and lenses.

So yeah, some of the best primes ever made, great bodies, but let down by an increasingly obsolete flash system - might be sufficient for amateurs, but even so, it needs to be addressed in order for Pentax to be taken more seriously, instead of releasing bodies every year

mongo
25-09-2010, 10:31pm
Mongo will not get excited until Pentax make a full frame and DX combo. Everything else is just tinkering. Mongo understands this is still an APS-C cropped censor. If he is wrong, Mrs Mongo will buy one immediately. If you do not already have a pentax body and want one, then, this is a very good camera. However, if you already have a pentax body, this would not be enough of an improvement to even tempt a purchase.

Mrs Mongo has been waiting some years now to buy a new Pentax body but will not do so unless it is full frame and DX.

Kym
25-09-2010, 10:33pm
Pentax stated strategy is APS-C (DX) and Medium format. No plans for 35mm sensor

mongo
25-09-2010, 10:47pm
That will disillusion Mongo and devastate Mrs Mongo. Bad news Kym

MattC
26-09-2010, 8:12am
Will all due respect Mongo - why be so down about no full frame? You get a lot of this on Pentax forums, and it gets tiring.

My opinion is that Pentax probably do not want to cater for the 'professional' market with full frame cameras, and are probably aiming at getting as much market share of the enthusiastic market as possible (lets face it - that's where the money is) - this is further evidenced my the fact they do not have any long glass (300mm being the current longest focal range - bar the 600mm special order lens). I would much prefer they introduce longer glass before a full frame camera.

If Mrs Mongo has not used or seen any of the current range cameras from Pentax for some years, then it may be worth having a look again, especially at the K5 - you may be both surprised!.

mongo
26-09-2010, 11:18am
Matt, as you would well be aware, Mongo and Mrs Mongo are Pentax best friends and advocates. There is no reason to try and protect Pentax from any comments we are likely to make about it.
What others may not understand is that sometimes people make significant investments in the product which is sometimes rare and expensive e.g. some of their best glass. The long lenses (which once included a 1000mm f8 Takumar which was approx 6 kgs plus) are no problem and indeed great on a cropped sensor and give extra length. Mrs Mongo is more than happy with her current IstD body. Nothing Pentax seeks to offer in the cropped sensor department will be of any interest over what she already owns – irrespective of how many bells and whistles Pentax say they have added to what is still essentially a cropped sensor camera.
However, for as many good long lenses there are ultra wides and wide zooms we have (which we think are better than anything offered today) which we would like to use including a Pentax 15mm rectilinear lens. We would like to use this at its intended 15mm wide and not about 22mm. All other wide lenses and wide zooms are similarly compromised and no longer really useful for their intended purpose.

One might start to understand how our loyalty and appreciation for the Pentax product is starting to look misplaced if this is the reward we get. Moreover, it is not right to suggest that we could or should simply buy other lenses to replace these. First, we should not have to. Secondly, to do so (given their current standard of the product compared to the ones we already own) would, in many cases, be like asking us to exchange gold for lead. There are some (quite rightfully) that would not exchange their old masterpieces for anything painted today or their classic car for any new one made today. They get far more enjoyment using the one they have and choose to have.

So from Mongo’s perspective it is more than disappointing that Pentax has made the decision and whist it is very unusual that Mongo finds himself making a critical remark about Pentax, he feels, in this case, it is justified and one which Pentax has to wear.

Kym
27-09-2010, 10:55am
Vanbar list K-5 @ $1,379.40 (AUD inc. Tax) Australian Warranty
http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=73368

Fine print
This product has recently been announced by the manufacturer. The price and specifications are not confirmed yet, however we are taking pre-orders as we expect the initial demand to be high. Should the final price be higher that our anticipated price we will advise you prior to shipping. If the price is lower you will be invoiced accordingly. If you have any enquires about this or any other product please contact our sales team on bla bla

Kym
27-09-2010, 11:07am
Found more on the Vanbar price from someone @ Vanbar...

It is anticipated...

I'd like to take a moment just to clarify our motivation on pre-listing products.

We pre-list the items so people can order them, if the price goes up the customer is advised of this before the goods are charged and invoiced. If the customer does not wish to proceed as the price has gone up their full deposit will be refunded.

If the price has gone down we will invoice at the lower cost.

Camera estimates are hard to do 100% accurately as the cost in other territories is not always relevant in the Australian market.

The idea of that whole system is to allow people who really want the product to get in early and avoid lengthy waits.

Ozzi Paul
27-09-2010, 10:48pm
Seems to be a bit of discussion about the buffer for high speed shooting in RAW mode. Still 7 fps for RAW but the amount of shots that can be taken is not clear.
Some places say it is just 8 RAW frames before the buffer is full while others have stated that it is 15 frames. Lots of talk in a thread on the Pentax Forums with some links to sites with info on it. Hopefully it is at least 15 frames otherwise you will only be able to shoot high speed RAW images for around 1 sec before the buffer is full and it all slows down.

MattC
28-09-2010, 11:19am
This thread is supposed to be about the K5 - not what Pentax supposedly lacks in it's range.

Personal comment removed

Kym
28-09-2010, 11:58am
Ok, keep it on topic and not personal.

Pentax have stated officially that they are doing APS-C and Medium Format, not 35mm format sensors.
The 35mm sensor issue is now off topic in this thread.

ricktas
28-09-2010, 12:06pm
Thanks Kym, I will now remove myself as member of these forums, My post was not insulting, and Matt's plainly was... But if this is the way new Pentax enthusiast are catered for here: I'm more than happy to refrain from posting here anymore. It was nice for the two weeks i was here: But i found MattC's posts to be completely inappropriate and not in the Pentax spirit.

Is there a way to completely remove my profile & posts, and unsubscribe my username?

members are entitled to post their views on subjects, even if it disagrees with your own. But if you wish to have your account closed, send me a PM and I will do so. I am not about to pander to precious people who take offence at others views.

ricktas
28-09-2010, 12:12pm
I'm apparently not allowed to post views, as they were removed and contained no personal attacks or remarks. They were simply answering a question, but yes please do remove my posts and account, as this is not the place for me..

Thanks Rick!

Matt did not attack you in any way, he simply stated that if you were not happy with Pentax, then sell your gear. Simple statement and his opinion. However below is your reply that attacked Matt personally?

It's just your attitude that likes to see doom and gloom rather than legitimate opinions from happy Pentax users. I suggest you take your own advice, and stop from trying to give others your opinion, when nobody asked, as this is a K-5 thread.

Obviously you are quite rude, disrespectful, and as such you should keep your thoughts and insults to yourself. If i had of realized what a waste of time it was to respond to your amateur thoughts, i would of refrained from doing so, and as such will not bother with responding to you any further. Nuff Said!

You commented about Matt's attitude. you called him rude and disrespectful. What is there about this quote that is not personal?

Account closed with pleasure.

ricktas
28-09-2010, 12:42pm
Admin note : This thread may look at bit strange now. The member who's account has been closed, has had all his posts removed, so some quotes and comments will not align with previous discussions. Sorry

MattC
28-09-2010, 3:17pm
hmmm... well back on topic :eek:, and I found this youtube video of some interest - not sure how live view worked in the k7, but certainly in the K20D it is far from finished (IMO).
Looks like they have done some work for the K5 with the live view - could be quite useful for macros now?

KxGKSRFlMbA

Kym
30-09-2010, 3:12pm
K-7 live view is very good. You can pan & zoom (up to 10x) which is really handy for manual focus.
Next time we catch up I'll show you.

K20D live view is less than helpful.

Kym
02-10-2010, 6:12pm
More on the K-5 http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-pentax-sites-have-different.html from Yvon

JayR
06-10-2010, 11:09pm
looks like a nice new sensor mainly, but as im still getting to grips with the K7, i wont be getting the K5 just yet.

Falcons
09-10-2010, 12:26am
Not really sure about all the fuss with FF but if you need it its out there for you.

Looking at some of the early indicators of the new K5 sensor using early firmware it is handling high ISO's almost on par with FF it may even look better with the latest firmware.
Here's a link to some early (non official) testing http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/116026-k-5-vs-d700-iso6400-raw-testing-w-samples.html

But if you really want real FF there is always the Pentax 645D:D

As to the comment about Pentax flash, would probably have to agree that it is not yet up to Pro standards emphasis on the yet. But you have to take into account Pentax aren't targeting this market, yes their are a significant number of Professional photographers making a living using Pentax equipment - perhaps they dont utilise flash all the time, perhaps they don't even really care and work around it.

But I do know that Pentax have quietly managed to position themselves pretty firmly in number 3 position and are steadily growing and as their consumer base grows so will their investment into Research & development.

As to the K5 I will probably be getting one as we have a new Baby due in about 3 - 4 weeks and I have convinced my Girlfriend that I just have to have the best equipment to document my new daughters life (can't beleive that line worked) and also my Girlfriend is interested in trying out photography so she can have the K7.

Still trying to convince her about letting me do a pregnancy shoot with the K7.

So a nod has been given to the K5 and another lens (still debating between the D FA 100mm(WR) Macro or the DA 70mm LTD).

Tommo1965
09-10-2010, 8:55am
two reasons for me to like FF are, a larger viewfinder...better low light.

loads of reasons not to buy one though..mainly starting with $ signs :)

K7 is the first Pentax body I've had..so far its been great..Id like to have better low light performance if its out there...but as I've only recently purchased the K7 ..its gonna be with me for a while. so i might wait a couple of years and see what replaces the K5

Pentax users that invest heavily on DA lenses will be gutted if Pentax ever do go FF...another reason I'm looking at third party glass that will support FF....its a conundrum for sure .

be great to hear from a member that has both K5 and K7 , to see what their thoughts on the improvements are without getting too carried away with their new Toy :D

Kym
09-10-2010, 5:57pm
35mm format is no big deal. Back in the 70's I remember that if you did not shoot medium or large format 'blad you weren't a real 'tog.
This was in the context of weddings and product/catalogue work - go figure.

BTW Calling 35mm 'Full' is crazy, because medium and large are bigger than full - dumb.

Kym
18-10-2010, 11:23am
Falk Lumo

http://www.falklumo.com/en/k5preview.html

Also the K-5 got a Photokina Star award; unlike the D7000 :p
http://www.photopresse.de/content/view/7774/2/

Bramela
25-10-2010, 8:08am
I have been a user of k10d and now K20d, but a Pentax user for nearly 40 years.
I am happy to stick with Pentax.
Thing is, I am seriously considering upgrade from my K20d.
I have done a lot of reading and am left wondering, do I go out now and buy the K7 or put it off and wait for the K5.

Is there a big enough difference in the two models to warrant skipping the K7 and waiting?
I am still unclear as to what is the best course of action. I know it is down to me, but any opinions may help.:)

MattC
25-10-2010, 9:00am
I too have a K20d, and if I was to upgrade, it would be to the K5 without a doubt. Although more expensive, I think long term it would be a better option.

Kym
25-10-2010, 9:16am
I agree with Matt - K-5 for sure! For a whole lot of little reasons. I've been very happy with my K-7 but the K-5 fills in some gaps.
Specifcally: AF speed and Noise

I'll sell either my K-7 or K20D to get a K-5

Cage
25-10-2010, 12:19pm
:th3: for the K5.

If the higher ISO is half as good as it is said to be, that in itself is a good enough reason.

Cheers

Kevin

Ozzi Paul
25-10-2010, 2:12pm
+1 for the K-5, much better option I think. I use a K20D myself and the K-5 is the camera I would upgrade to. The faster better focus is high on my list of reasons to upgrade.

Bramela
25-10-2010, 2:45pm
Thanks guys, you have well and truly convinced me! I am going to get an order in .

K10D
25-10-2010, 4:28pm
Just how much faster is the K5 AF in real terms? My 50-135 SDM is painfully slow compared to a Sigma 70-200 EX Mk1 on the same bodies, (K10D & K7).

However, if I use it with the AF1.7TC it is MUCH quicker.

Best regards

Kym
25-10-2010, 4:35pm
AF speed is dependant on the lens motor and the camera detection.
So we are talking about the camera detection speed.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115094-k-5-auto-focus-speed-youtube-compared-k-7-a.html

So K10D when will you need to change your username? ;)

K10D
25-10-2010, 4:47pm
Not for a while, I use three systems. A Minolta 7D, Pentax istD, K10D and K7 and a Nikon D700.

Too many lenses now, that said, the AF-500mm Minolta reflex is excellent on the 7D with in body SR.

So the original user name has to stay.

Best regards

K10D
25-10-2010, 5:01pm
Seems to be a bit of discussion about the buffer for high speed shooting in RAW mode. Still 7 fps for RAW but the amount of shots that can be taken is not clear.
Some places say it is just 8 RAW frames before the buffer is full while others have stated that it is 15 frames. Lots of talk in a thread on the Pentax Forums with some links to sites with info on it. Hopefully it is at least 15 frames otherwise you will only be able to shoot high speed RAW images for around 1 sec before the buffer is full and it all slows down.

Seems that the ISO setting also has an impact as one K5 owner stated on another forum. In real terms, it won't be an issue unless you are into machine gun mode?

I've seen a picture of a face on a UK site taken at ISO 51200 from a K5 owner. It's effectively noise free and somewhat impressive.

Best regards

Ozzi Paul
25-10-2010, 11:33pm
Yeah, the high ISO images look good. I don't really need real high iso but it would come in handy. The faster focus is what I want as I shoot a bit of motorcross and the K20D just isn't quick enough if the bikes are moving towards or away from you. The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II helps out a bit but still not quick enough in some situations. I would've been happy with 5 fps & a bigger buffer for sequence images where I need to shoot for at least 2 or 3 seconds, would need at least 15 frames. (I only shoot in RAW mode).
Better low light focusing would be a big help with some indoor shots I do so the K-5 would help there to.
I think the K-5 sounds pretty good & I would like to get one even though the buffer is small, it would still be an improvement over my K20D.

tim71
26-10-2010, 12:08am
G'day Falcons,

I have the DA 70 Ltd and its great for portraits, is the DA 70 faster than the D FA 100mm? I mostly do natural light work hence the f2.4 of the 70 is great.

cheers,

Tim

DigitalRev
26-10-2010, 12:57pm
Pentax K-5 Body is in stock now! :D

Kym
27-10-2010, 3:47pm
Got these from a well known Adelaide retailer - I have asked for cash special price!

K-5 Body Only $1750 inc GST due 5th of November
K-5 w 18-135mm DA $2399 inc GST due 13th of November

Kym
27-10-2010, 3:51pm
FYI Digital Rev link http://www.digitalrev.com/en/pentax-k-5-dslr-camera-body-10030.html?match_type=1

Kym
27-10-2010, 4:43pm
The new level function both horizontal and vertical

Kym
27-10-2010, 6:25pm
In the shower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpjPqIE7e6s&hl

A quick wash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk&hl

K10D
29-10-2010, 5:38pm
This is to increase shooting capacity in burst mode.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnews%2F20101029_403449.html

Best regards

Kym
29-10-2010, 8:55pm
In Engrish... http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/announce/20101029.html ;)

Kym
03-11-2010, 2:21pm
Hmmm!! A Canon 5DII shooters perspective...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120794-k-5-images-impressions.html

I received my K-5 today, along with the 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8. First, a couple of impressions from a Canon shooter (5D Mark II):

* The K-5 and the Pentax lenses are light. In fact, compared to Canon and Nikon lenses, they are small and very light. This is very nice, as it will allow me to carry a few more lenses in my bag, while staying lighter than my Canon gear.
* K-5 build quality is very good. As you may or may not know, the 5D Mark II, while a very nice camera, isn't the most robust camera, and doesn't fare as well in the dust/moisture department. The K-5 is built like a tank in comparison, while also being smaller/lighter.
* Along with the lenses being smaller and lighter, the Pentax lenses are also a lot cheaper than their Canon/Nikon counterparts. That's a real advantage, as it means not having to break the bank when purchasing a new lens.
* In-body stabilization is great!! It's nice knowing that every Pentax lens will automatically gain this functionality. Image stabilized lenses are much larger, heavier, and more expensive.
* AF performance. The AF performance of the K-5 absolutely kills the AF performance in compared to my 5D Mark II. Using the two lenses in question, the AF is fast and accurate. It's also nice that I can make use of the outer focal points of the K-5, which is sometimes a problem with the 5D.
* Low-light performance. Here, the 5D Mark II beats the K-5 pretty handily, which is to be expected, given that the 5D is a full-frame camera. However, the K-5 is no slouch. For a smaller sensor camera, it does a great job in low-light, and as long as you can nail the exposure correctly, noise isn't a big problem up to ISO 3200, and even ISO 6400 can produce a high-quality image with a little help from noise reduction software like Noiseware.
* Color - Based on what I've seen, the rendition of color on the K-5 is more natural than on the Canon. The K-5 also handles reds and yellows much better. Shooting a red rose, even in cloudy conditions, on the 5D Mark II has a tendency to blow out the red channel. In the past, I've had to dial exposure compensation way down, and been very careful in how I shoot red and yellow flowers. Shooting the K-5 today, it was nice not to have to worry about this. The metering was pretty effective in most scenes, though it does seem to underexpose by about a third of a stop in some situations.
* RAW - I like that you have the option to shoot in standard DNG format.

Tommo1965
03-11-2010, 4:29pm
good read Kym....Id like a K5...but the K7 is still new to me and I want more lenses first.....LOL
the poster of that Message has said everything that I thought the K7 was or is

Kym
03-11-2010, 4:54pm
good read Kym....Id like a K5...but the K7 is still new to me and I want more lenses first.....LOL
the poster of that Message has said everything that I thought the K7 was or is

Yes, the K-7 is a great camera. For that matter a K20D is also an excellent unit.
But the K-5 has a better frame rate, better noise performance, and better AF performance. Plus a few other nice to haves, and full HD movies if you want that.

MattC
03-11-2010, 8:33pm
Got these from a well known Adelaide retailer - I have asked for cash special price!

K-5 Body Only $1750 inc GST due 5th of November
K-5 w 18-135mm DA $2399 inc GST due 13th of November

So are we going to be able to have a play with your K5 on the 6th of November? :D

MattC
03-11-2010, 8:36pm
This is to increase shooting capacity in burst mode.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnews%2F20101029_403449.html

Best regards

Damn - that's a big increase! - from 8 to 20 frames - this was one of the more vocal complaints being made on the Pentax forum

Kym
03-11-2010, 8:38pm
So are we going to be able to have a play with your K5 on the 6th of November? :D

Assuming CRK can get a unit to PW by Friday evening :th3: else next week

Lance B
06-11-2010, 11:26am
Dxo results of the K-5 have been posted on their site. The best APS C DSLR ever by a long margin and gives some FF cameras a run for their money. High score of 82!!!!! which is better than the D700 which has 80.

http://www.dxomark.com/

At the time of posting this, the following message appeared: "Due to the huge traffic on our website, we apologize for this inconvenience. Please come back later to visit us. "

Must eb all the Pentax people looking in. :)

Kym
06-11-2010, 12:11pm
Yeeeeeees!! http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28appareil2%29/441|0/%28appareil3%29/619|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

K5 v D700 (35mm) v 7D

I've been told mine arrives maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

Kym
06-11-2010, 12:15pm
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28appareil2%29/628|0/%28appareil3%29/629|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

K5 = D3s and > 1D mk IV seriously!!! (Ok the D3s has one more stop of low light... but its 35mm not APS-C)

Cage
06-11-2010, 12:43pm
Yeeeeeees!! http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28appareil2%29/441|0/%28appareil3%29/619|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

K5 v D700 (35mm) v 7D

I've been told mine arrives maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

Onya :th3:

Looks like I'll have to start shifting some of my old Canon gear.

Can't wait to get some 'Real World' feedback on the K5.

Cheers

Kevin

Kym
06-11-2010, 4:27pm
Looks like I'll have to start shifting some of my old Canon gear.
Can't wait to get some 'Real World' feedback on the K5.

Yes!

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010/11/sensor-madness-pentax-k-5-and-panasonic-gh2-dxomark-results.html

The Pentax K-5 had a stellar DXOmaRk performance, based on its overall score it is currently ranked as #5 among ALL Camera sensors tested at DxoMark. That's right, it beats ALL Canon DSLRs, and it is only surpassed by the Nikon D3X/D3S, the Pentax 645D and a Phase One. Pentax usually gets the short end of the stick in technobabble, so I am sure there will be parades in the Pentax forums across the internets ;-)

WhoDo
06-11-2010, 4:51pm
Just saw this review on Pentax Forums: http://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-K-5-topples-others-in-sensor-scores

I have told the child bride that I want one in the worst possible way. She didn't say "No"; just mumbled something about Lotto! Under $1600 and I might be able to get one from overseas even cheaper given the exchange rate! Pardon me while I roll my tongue back up into my mouth so people don't step on it!!!:eek:

It looks to me like the K-5 is going to be the benchmark for enthusiasts for a while yet, with performances like that at a really affordable price point! I'll be a happy camper if SWMBO eventually opens the purse strings for me!!!

Kym
06-11-2010, 7:45pm
More good stuff...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-K-5-Features-worth-noting-I

http://www.pentaxforums.com/Exploring-the-K-5039s-Features-Part-II

http://www.pentaxforums.com/Exploring-the-K-5039s-Features-Part-III

@WhoDo you can get a K-5 < $1,600 in Australia !

dosdan
06-11-2010, 8:43pm
As a K20D owner, the most interesting figure in the DxO K-5 test results is the DR. Using the "Print" 8 MPx normalisation (accounts for the different number of MPx on the 2 sensors), the K-5 has the same DR at ISO800 that the K20D has at ISO100 (3 stops difference): 11.14 EV!

And at ISO80 it is 3 stops above that: 14.12 EV! Shooting in raw, this should significantly reduce the need to use HDR in a landscape situation.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28appareil2%29/213|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Pentax (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676%7C0/%28appareil2%29/213%7C0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Pentax)

Dan.

WhoDo
06-11-2010, 10:43pm
@WhoDo you can get a K-5 < $1,600 in Australia !
At US$1374 and with dollar parity I'm hoping I can get it sub-$1400 in Australia and maybe sub-$1250 from the US very soon, Kym. :th3:

How great a deal is this camera becoming under the charge of the Aussie dollar? The Nikon equivalent is 3 x the price and the Canon 2.5 x the price! Who can argue with figures like that? (Well my wife can but she was a Bank Examiner, so I have to work extra hard on her to get my way). :p

Kym
07-11-2010, 9:22am
@WhoDo US$1374 + Freight + CC conversion + GST (its over $1000) = approx AUS$1,550 and no local warranty ... AUS$1,595 local stock looks like a very good price.

WhoDo
07-11-2010, 9:49am
@WhoDo US$1374 + Freight + CC conversion + GST (its over $1000) = approx AUS$1,550 and no local warranty ... AUS$1,595 local stock looks like a very good price.
Ooh! Forgot about the GST! Do they actually charge that on purchases overseas? I usually pay off my credit card through PayPal but I've never really worried too much to check if they added GST or not. I always assumed not (maybe VAT if I purchased from the UK but otherwise not).

All the same, I could manage AUD$1595 and have someone to visit if things go wrong. Thanks, Kym. :th3:

Kym
07-11-2010, 9:54am
It gets worse ... customs do charge GST on >$1,000 imports AND sometimes additional customs fees - typically $30-$50 - although not usually for cameras

Kym
08-11-2010, 7:02pm
http://www.pentaxforums.com/Exploring-the-K-5039s-Features-Part-IV Noice!!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/Exploring-the-K-5039s-Features-Part-V

I @ M
08-11-2010, 7:11pm
Noice!!

Have you received yours yet?

Never have I seen two so totally similar cameras hit the market at the same time as the K5 and the D7000 have, some comparisons will be interesting in the real world.

Kym
08-11-2010, 7:13pm
Hopefully tomorrow... hate the waiting.

Kym
08-11-2010, 7:26pm
ISO 51,200 http://www.bertin.ca/tmp/K-5/ISO/K5__9935_MED_1.jpg DANG!!!

Kym
10-11-2010, 9:11am
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/11/the-new-number-one.html

The sensor in the new Pentax K-5 has taken over the #1 ranking for APS-C sized sensors on DxOmark.com, and not by a small margin. DxOmark is unambiguous in its praise: under the heading "The best APS-C in all tested fields," they write, "No need for suspense: this new 16.3 MP sensor is simply the best APS-C we have tested so far, sometimes able to compete even with very high-end full-frame cameras." It comes in sixth overall—nestled in between the Nikon D3s and D3 and surrounded by nothing but full-frame and medium format cameras. You have to go all the way down to #19 on the list to find the next APS-C sensor camera.

Featured Comment by Kent Phelan: "The K-5 is the big Inside Secret in the DSLR world. Compact, magnesium chassis, weatherproof, 100% viewfinder, 14 bit DNG RAW capture, and the fabulous DA Limited compact lenses. It covers all the checkpoints of my previous Nikon D700 in a significantly smaller and (IMO) ergonomically friendlier package. Did I mention it has the quietest shutter I’ve ever used—Leicas and Mamiya 7 included? For a certain type of photographer this is the perfect camera. I believe it was John Camp who once compared the Pentax K-7 to a Leica M digital. I’m sure many thought that was an odd statement. Not me. I use my K-5 as I used my M8, with much of the automation turned off and with fixed DA Ltd lenses. I have been a Nikon/Leica person my whole life, but I find this camera quite compelling.

Featured Comment by Dan Bridges: "The DxO DR tested performance of the K-5 is amazing. It has the same DR at ISO800 that my K20D has at ISO100. If you use the 'Print' tab on the DxO charts to get a normalised 8 MP result which is useful for comparing sensors with dissimilar MP, at ISO80 there is an impressive 14.1 stops of DR.

"This enormous DR will not mean much for JPEG shooters, but for the raw shooters the dark shadowy waters to that can be dredged for submerged details are very deep and rich indeed. It also will significantly reduce the need for HDR in landscape shooting.

Mine has not arrived as of last night - maybe today.

Cage
10-11-2010, 9:52am
ISO 51,200 http://www.bertin.ca/tmp/K-5/ISO/K5__9935_MED_1.jpg DANG!!!

WOW !!!!!

xjjohnno
10-11-2010, 5:14pm
Collected mine from Vanbar today. Currently the battery is on charge. When charged, playtime.

Kym
10-11-2010, 6:07pm
Collected mine from Vanbar today. Currently the battery is on charge. When charged, playtime.

yay! Just got mine from Photowholesalers ... they have sold out their first batch.

Cage
10-11-2010, 7:23pm
trublubiker is green with envy

KevPride
10-11-2010, 8:21pm
yay! Just got mine from Photowholesalers ... they have sold out their first batch.

Congrats Kym.

My comment "wonder if they have a K5" when I walked past Diamonds @ TTP yesterday was greeted by my Wife's frozen glare.

I think the term "till hell freezes over..." is apt.

The K7 is barely run in, so looks like I'll be waiting for K4/K3 or whatever the next one will be called.

Kym
10-11-2010, 11:25pm
I'm up to Burra on the W/end. I'll have some real life stuff by them.

I've taken a bunch of low light test shots at home, Nel sitting in the lounge - 1 x 300w uplight - Can't publish as Nel did not have makeup on and I want to remain alive, and you really don't want to see my big toe

1. The ISO performance is as the review - stunning
2. 51,200 is usable if you slightly over expose - you do need to apply a reasonable dose of NR in LR
3. 6400 is like K-7 800ish -that will be good for birds etc

I'll try some landscapes on the w/end and see how the bigger DR goes and also some birds

POTN seemed to have noticed
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=955995
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=955601

Lance B
11-11-2010, 11:28am
An interesting read here on Luminous Landscape which puts it into perspective.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/eyes-vs-numbers.shtml

Kym
11-11-2010, 12:41pm
http://www.neocamera.com/article.php?id=best_cameras

Best entry level camera - Pentax K-x

Best Advanced DSLR - Pentax K-5

:D

Wizofoz
12-11-2010, 6:07pm
Vanbar price is $1595 as of today 12/11/10

It looks like a fabulous camera and may tempt me to upgrade, even though I own a k-7.

Cage
12-11-2010, 6:54pm
http://www.neocamera.com/article.php?id=best_cameras

Best entry level camera - Pentax K-x

Best Advanced DSLR - Pentax K-5

:D

Kym, you are going to have to stop, desist, and cease posting any further info titbits on the K-5.

My shattered piggy bank has not recovered from helping Lance change camps (Sorry Mate, read the DxO review) and your constant updates are giving me GAS !

The upside is that unless I sell a kidney or become 'trubluwalker', the price may have dropped a little, and when the K-5 euphoria wears off, and the mighty Nikon marketing machine goes into overdrive about the D7000 I may, just may, be able to get one. Unfortunately I like my K20D so much that it isn't going anywhere.

Lets see some real world pics. If I have problems detecting noise at ISO800 I will be delighted.

Cheers

Kevin

Kym
12-11-2010, 7:36pm
Off for a photo weekend up the country - so i'll have something Sunday night.

Tommo1965
13-11-2010, 9:51am
nice one Kim
Im real interested in seeing you High ISO low light shots, and your take on the AF performance over the K7

Kym
13-11-2010, 10:04am
AF is noticeably faster, esp. in live view. The limit now is the speed of the lens motors.

Terryw
15-11-2010, 8:52am
I'm Back after a long absence. Look forward to seeing your pics and getting your initial impressions of K5 Kym.

knumbnutz
15-11-2010, 11:18am
Kym,
Youre not allowed to post any photos until we all get one.
:(
Cheers Neil
....totally jealous

Ozzi Paul
16-11-2010, 4:06am
The more I read about the K-5 the more I like it. Good to hear that the buffer has been increased, that was something I was hoping could be fixed. With the improved metering, focus speed & buffer combined with fantastic image quality and great high ISO performance it sounds like a great camera to have. Looks like I will have to start saving.

Kym
16-11-2010, 10:50am
I've posted a few images, and I hope to get out again this weekend.

Do I like my K-5? YEAH!!! Pentax have come up with a stunning camera.
No wonder the first batch has sold out in Australia and there are back orders.

The high ISO is seriously usable.
The frame rate is much better.
The AF is much more responsive.

Believe the reviews because it matches my initial experience.

My K-7 is a good camera - but this is better.

I expect the Nikon D7000 to have similar reviews, so for the non Pentax shooters that's the way to go.
The Sony A55 appears not to perform as well due to the fixed pelical (transparent) mirror losing too much light.

birdsrus
16-11-2010, 3:09pm
Just had my first test drive with my K5 yesterday at the Melb Botanical gardens. The K5 will probably always have my Sigma 50-500 and I will use the K7 with my smaller primes. Considering the Sigma's zoom challenge, I am impressed with my first results. 800 ISO, a small amount of adjustment (20 seconds worth) in lightroom. the biggest surprise with the k5 is the taller mode dial. The one on the K7 drove me nuts as I need to change settings when I go from birds sitting still to flying birds. 62375

xjjohnno
16-11-2010, 9:04pm
I've been using my K5 with manual focus lenses, yet to use a modern lens on the camera and I am liking the results.
MC 3M 5CA mirror lens 500mm f8.
http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/november2010/slides/KFYV0521.JPG
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektagon 35mm f2.4
http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/november2010/slides/KFYV0652.JPG
Carl Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2
http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/november2010/slides/KFYV0419.JPG
Voigtlander Apo Lanther 90mm f6.5
http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/november2010/slides/KFYV0044.JPG
Leica Elmarit 90 f2.8
http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/november2010/slides/KFYV0091.JPG
CBA getting to you Knumbnutz?

Tommo1965
17-11-2010, 8:38am
Kym
could please give me a link to your posted K5 images?, I cant seem to find them.
I've posted a few images, and I hope to get out again this weekend.

Do I like my K-5? YEAH!!! Pentax have come up with a stunning camera.
No wonder the first batch has sold out in Australia and there are back orders.

The high ISO is seriously usable.
The frame rate is much better.
The AF is much more responsive.

Believe the reviews because it matches my initial experience.

My K-7 is a good camera - but this is better.

I expect the Nikon D7000 to have similar reviews, so for the non Pentax shooters that's the way to go.
The Sony A55 appears not to perform as well due to the fixed pelical (transparent) mirror losing too much light.

Kym
17-11-2010, 9:33am
Kym
could please give me a link to your posted K5 images?, I cant seem to find them.

Try clicking my name and 'View Forum Threads' ;)

Kym
17-11-2010, 9:54am
DP review with (fixed) comparision - watch out the K-5 is in ISO 80 ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocomparefullscreen.asp?masterCamera=canon_eos60d&masterSample=img_0237&camera0=canon_eos50d&mode0=JPEG&sample0=canon50d_iso12800&camera1=nikon_d7000&mode1=JPEG&sample1=nikond7000_nrnorm_iso%2012800&camera2=pentax_k5&mode2=JPEG&sample2=imgp2055&x=-0.17590770274855783&y=1.4757203378199089

DP review had used different lenses with different f/stop - this is the correct test (same lens, same Av etc) [I think]

Tommo1965
18-11-2010, 4:22pm
that's an interesting example kym. and after comparing a K7 within that same test..Im not so convinced I need to upgrade the K7...the examples at 100 ISO aren't convincing within that test that the K5 is better than than the k7..also after a bit of playing..it would seem to my eyes that K5 is only one stop better in Low light and noise detail than the K7.....not real world use I know...but from that DP review test and my eyes the K7 held its own..

Kym
18-11-2010, 4:30pm
The jury still out on that test - it maybe that DPR did not use the same lens/settings

Tommo1965
18-11-2010, 9:11pm
do you have both bodies ?..be nice if someone here could do a real world test between both bodies....using same lens, same light, same everything...I know the AF is faster and better DR.....but for me its the low light use the will sell it to me...two-three stops quicker for same noise levels is a deal maker.

I want a new lens...Sigma 70-200 OS to replace my sigma 70-200 HSM 11......do I buy that first... decisions decisions ...

ploveday
19-11-2010, 1:08am
New firmware is out, downloading now.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

- Peter

davidbrewster
19-11-2010, 5:38pm
51,200 is usable if you slightly over expose

Kym, I'm interested in this comment. I'm still getting my head around some of the finer points of digital and would be interested in the link between exposure and noise – can you point me to any good info on this? How much overexposure are we talking: a full stop or just a third or so?

Prompted by your comment I'll also do some experimenting tonight. My K-r 'only' goes to 25600 however :p

Kym
19-11-2010, 6:48pm
ETTR (expose to the right) is a rule of thumb to minimise noise. I.e. a slight over exposure. Noise shows up more in the dark parts so a bit of +EV helps avoid noise.

K10D
20-11-2010, 12:16am
More tests here.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123138-k-5-vs-d7000-softness-test-part-2-a.html

Best regards

Cage
22-11-2010, 9:42am
A comprehensive write up and some testing

http://www.pentaxforums.com/pentax_k-5_review.php?xp=1&sr1=0&sr2=1&k5k71=14&k5k72=14

This isn't helping my GAS !

Kevin

Kym
22-11-2010, 10:26am
I did a private shoot yesterday - indoors no flash and used ISO 1600 and 3200 - photos of a speaker.
A bit of NR in Lightroom and normal sharpening - all good.

Cage
23-11-2010, 7:57pm
Just had my first test drive with my K5 yesterday at the Melb Botanical gardens. The K5 will probably always have my Sigma 50-500 and I will use the K7 with my smaller primes. Considering the Sigma's zoom challenge, I am impressed with my first results. 800 ISO, a small amount of adjustment (20 seconds worth) in lightroom. the biggest surprise with the k5 is the taller mode dial. The one on the K7 drove me nuts as I need to change settings when I go from birds sitting still to flying birds. 62375

I'd be seriously chuffed if this was the best I got from my first outing with the K-5.

You people who already have a K-5 are p*ssing me off, big time!

Bah, humbug to you all !

Kevin

WhoDo
23-11-2010, 9:52pm
Buuuurrrrrrrrpppppppppp! Sorry. Another bad case of GAS here, too! :o

knumbnutz
24-11-2010, 2:44pm
Hi Johnno.....

Thats just plain nasty, that is.....

That $10 bucks has just doubled !!! :(

Cheers Neil

I've been using my K5 with manual focus lenses, yet to use a modern lens on the camera and I am liking the results.
CBA getting to you Knumbnutz?

Wizofoz
21-12-2010, 1:12pm
Count me among the official K-5 users group. I couldn't hold out any longer, Michael's had them in stock when I visited, and I'm worried that I will come home from my forthcoming OS trip with a K-5 and overseas warranty.

What a wonderful tool this camera is. The sensor is spectacular with incredible DR, the machine gun mode is ...machine gun like, AF faster and more accurate than my k-7.

One happy camper!:D

tim71
22-12-2010, 11:11pm
enjoy,

lets see some rapid fire pics:)

Kym
23-12-2010, 2:45pm
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/special/20101222_416478.html
Traslated http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fspecial%2F20101222_416478.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Pentax K-5 wins - ranked number 1 !!

Kym
23-12-2010, 2:49pm
Pentax wins on 1001 noisy cameras

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010/12/cameras-of-the-year-readers-choice-voting-begins-nao.html

Cage
23-12-2010, 2:50pm
And not a Canon in the top ten.