PDA

View Full Version : Good Photography Course

AussieBrent
21-09-2010, 8:27am
Hi Guys

I'm pretty new to Photography have my Canon EOS 550d with Twin lens kit.

I have started using it in Manual mode looking for someone to recommend a course Im keen on outdoor photography mostly such as - Landscape, rivers, waterfalls, beaches, buildings, sun & Surf etc

I was looking at this course http://www.chrisbray.net/photography_courses.php

Anyone have any comments on it or can recommend a course in Melbourne

Cheers

ricktas
21-09-2010, 8:35am
Why not just follow the New To Photography learning plan here on AP? I think you are better of participating on AP and sites like it, to start with, and once you have the basics, then consider an intermediate type course to refine your skills.

AussieBrent
21-09-2010, 8:44am
Thanks Rick,

I start to do those but get side tracked to easy and go off the rail and do other things.

Which is why i wanted to do a course i can't get side tracked.

Chinook
21-09-2010, 9:13am
I had a look at that course to. It looks very good but too pricey for me just now after buying the camera etc. I get side tracked to but am getting through learning plan slowly on AP. If there is something I still do not understand I ask & have so far got some really great answers. Just yesterday I asked about Night photography & Kym has a fantastic link on here. Some great pics have also been posted.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=57793

OzzieTraveller
21-09-2010, 5:15pm
G'day AussieBrent

Google the "Melbourne Camera Club"
They hang out in South Melb and [as far as I know] run beginner's camera/photo courses several times a year

Regards, Phil

Erin
21-09-2010, 6:50pm
Creative Photo Workshops is also a good one.

ricktas
21-09-2010, 6:57pm
Thanks Rick,

I start to do those but get side tracked to easy and go off the rail and do other things.

Which is why i wanted to do a course i can't get side tracked.

Since you joined back in March we have seen one thread from you with 2 photos for critique. If I may be so bold, only you can solve your 'getting sidetracked', start joining in, post some photos, read the critiques, learn from them and you will improve a lot more. But in the end it is up to you. YOU have to make the effort to learn photography. A course, the internet etc is not going to improve your photography, you are! You need to put the work in, so stop getting sidetracked and that is the only way you will improve.

jasevk
22-09-2010, 10:34am
Since you joined back in March we have seen one thread from you with 2 photos for critique. If I may be so bold, only you can solve your 'getting sidetracked', start joining in, post some photos, read the critiques, learn from them and you will improve a lot more. But in the end it is up to you. YOU have to make the effort to learn photography. A course, the internet etc is not going to improve your photography, you are! You need to put the work in, so stop getting sidetracked and that is the only way you will improve.

Couldn't agree more... as Rick said, if you're not committed to learning, NO course will help you!

If you attend a course, you will not automatically come out of it a better photographer... you'll simply be presented with the tools you'll need to apply to the copious amounts of practise you'll need to do, in order to improve... the course presenter will not install a chip into you to upgrade you to a good photographer! If you don't dedicate yourself to do loads of practise... you're throwing your money away by going to a course.

AP is simply another resource to tap into and get your hands on the 'tools' you need... start at the AP learning centre and just apply yourself... you won't regret it! THEN do a course once you're more confident!

tamika17
22-09-2010, 3:25pm
Hi, I am wanting to do a course, does anyone know any cheap ones that are running? I am thinking about, doing one with "The Photography Institute".

Chinook
22-09-2010, 3:38pm
tamika17,

I was going down the same track of thought as you & AussieBrent but since starting the learning course on here it covers everything. Then like Rick and Jasvik said practice & practice. I cannot even get out of the house until weekends and then only for short times. Yesterday I managed to find bees, my dogs & a flower here & there more like weeds :-) I was going to fork out on the course the other guy mentioned but until I know a bit more I am going to wait for a while.

I love looking though the posts & viewing people pics the pros & the new people & I learn from each one. Sometimes I comment if I think I have anything to add. I try not to ask too many questions but if I am stuck I do & I have so far got some really great & friendly replies.

I was thinking of seeing if my local council might have a photography club just an idea. I also joined the WA club on here & I missed out on the last meet but hope to go on the next. I think that would be the way to go & fun to. What ever you choose enjoy & please keep us posted. I will have to check your pics out :-)

mistletoe
22-09-2010, 4:11pm
Hi tamika17

if I had $1099.00 to spend on a course I just know I'ld go and blow it on a canon 17 - 40mm f4.0 lens instead.

Chinook
22-09-2010, 5:01pm
I just did a google search on Photography clubs in my Shire & was amazed just up the road is a club. I know it is not a course but a good way to learn & meet people with the same interest. I am sure most Shires or nearby ones might have similar. Just for interest sake have a look at what they offer & what they do. Looks good to me. http://www.gemcameraclub.com.au/index.html Cheers & have a lovely evening.

ricktas
22-09-2010, 6:27pm
A course can be good, but most people learn more from experience. So do a course if you want to, but each one of us has had to put the work into learning our photography skills. A course can give you some of the basics and an understanding of how to improve, but that improvement comes with practice, and getting out and practising, and practising.

Duane Pipe
22-09-2010, 6:42pm
Hi, I am wanting to do a course, does anyone know any cheap ones that are running? I am thinking about, doing one with "The Photography Institute".

Well tamika I think you have found a very cheap course right here at AP.
Get involved and you will learn heaps as I have:th3:

Chinook
22-09-2010, 8:58pm
I learn something new everyday on AP. It is fantastic. Like I said in my previous post I was going to go down that track until I came across this site. I also did not have the money after buying my camera. The one I was going to was $300 for the day. Maybe later when I feel more confident I might.
The camera club sounds a much better idea they have lots of days out to practice & that is what we need more than anything. Posting on here is also great for CC. I try my best & look at the more experienced photographers work and really admire how well some have done in a short period of time.
I feel this is something you never stop learning & that to me is what I want. My advice is really look deep within this site I find new places & things to try each visit.

tamika17
23-09-2010, 7:58am
Thanks for the reply chinook, im the same as you, with three kids and no car, i hardly leave the house either, so yes my pets, the garden and my children always get their photo taken. Its starting to get a bit boring lol.. can not wait till i get my car, then ill be able to get of the house, and have fun snapping!
the course i want to do with the Institute is going to cost, me around 900 i think, i have tried to look for brisbane photo groups, there is none really that i want to join, another reason me being too shy :/ lol..
I cant wait to add pics on here, i like to see what people say about my photos, i love feedback! most of my friends say that i am good at it.. hope to talk again soon :)

Pixley
23-09-2010, 8:12am
I think what some people are forgetting is that people have different learning styles and what works for one person ie reading and doing self directed exercises on the web isn't going to work as well for others. Some people need a group dynamic or a more directed style to learn. A course may also just reinforce what you already know - but in my experience there is nothing like a flesh and blood person to answer your questions - particularly if you don't know many other photo/camera enthusiasts. When doing a course you also get to know some like minded people who share the same enthusiasm. Doing things in isolation is not the best "course" for everybody - however valuable online resources are.

tamika17
23-09-2010, 8:37am
hey chris,
yeah i probly would spend money on my camera too.. i have already spent close to a thousand on it!

jasevk
23-09-2010, 8:38am
I think what some people are forgetting is that people have different learning styles and what works for one person ie reading and doing self directed exercises on the web isn't going to work as well for others. Some people need a group dynamic or a more directed style to learn. A course may also just reinforce what you already know - but in my experience there is nothing like a flesh and blood person to answer your questions - particularly if you don't know many other photo/camera enthusiasts. When doing a course you also get to know some like minded people who share the same enthusiasm. Doing things in isolation is not the best "course" for everybody - however valuable online resources are.

We're not debating that a course will not be of benefit, what I'm saying is that a course will only present you with the tools and information you need to improve.... it still takes dedication on the learners part to absorb that information and put many many hours of practise in before they see a big improvement. And the other point I made is that there were MANY other places to get your hands on those tools for FREE (like here) which should be considered before spending money!

tamika17
23-09-2010, 8:47am
thanks for all your comments guys, im going to make the most out of it on here, learning and asking for advice, it wont be for a while till i start my course anyway.

natalie
23-09-2010, 8:50am
My two cents... I recently did a photography course that turned out to be mostly theory based, with very little sharing or taking of actual pics. I understand that not all courses are like that but I could've used the net to find out most of the stuff I learnt. And saved my cash!
I guess my point is I paid a lot of cash for what I could've learnt here for free.
Good luck with deciding!

Jai
23-09-2010, 9:00am
Reading all of your replies has made me have second thoughts about a course. I am in the Army so away a lot but have some time off just after Christmas so hope to get up to Shark Bay in WA. Good luck with what you decide.

tamika17
23-09-2010, 9:09am
yeah im having second thoughts too now.. only time will tell :)

mynxt
23-09-2010, 6:30pm
I have thought about a course on and off. Sometimes I think I get things and then look at some pictures I have taken and think they look crap! But, now I'm more leaning towards catching up with people from AP when there are get togethers so I can practice and pick their brains too. But yes, practice and practice is what you have to do. I'm just hanging to get through two weeks of having different guests before I can get back out there and concentrate on taking the pics.

MsG
25-09-2010, 8:39pm
There's a lot of info online now so I don't believe going to a course will be very beneficial at all.
Should there be practicals involved, they'll only give you examples/themes of what you should aim to shoot, which if you have a brain to think with, can come up with by yourselves.

There is so much inspiration if you just look outside, or inside for that matter!

This forum has so many threads for beginners that I'm suprised people would want to pay for a course instead.

OzzieTraveller
26-09-2010, 9:03am
G'day all

I have followed this thread with interest - and also with personal interest have I followed the swings & roundabouts of the "do" and "don't bother" responses. Both are correct in their place IF the respondent knows the questioner.

As many of you know, I run workshops for beginners and intermediate-level photographers
May I offer some thoughts for you - whether it's Brent who started this thread, or other APers reading it

Getting successful photographic experiences & skills are much getting car-driving skills ... you can read books, watch films etc, but until you get behing the wheel and actually do it, you aren't really "learning". However, to be a successful "driver" you need to know & understand the operations/behaviour/starting/stopping/cornering etc of the vehicle that's carrying you along.

Photography-wise, I find that 90% of students to a Level-1 workshop are running the camera on auto everything ... ie: their Canon or Nikon dSLR is a glorified kodak instamatic. Over the weekend, I take them thru the camera & its controls so that they can [often for the first time] understand why something is there, and how to use it. The photo excurions we do during the workshop are done as a group, with guidance and advice as to lens perspective, camera position [vote with your feet], settings - depth of field etc etc

During each afternoon workshop session, my partner, Alayne, prints off a collection of up to 8 per student which are then reviewed later. So when 60-70-or so images are spread out on the table, side-by-side comparisons can be made, images can be compared, students can then see & appreciate that there are many ways to 'see' a subject long before the taking of the photo

This 'group dynamic' is one of the most powerful ways of learning - seeing the results of others [here on AP is a good example], however when it's part of the same group of students, others in the group often remember the photograph under review being taken and comment "I wondered what you were doing....." and then they can utilise the experience themselves

So, while the decision as to whether to 'do' or 'not do' a course in photographic techniques is a personal one, please remember that the people offering them to you are doing so to share their knowledge & skills with you - and to make you a better photographer as a result

Hope this helps a bit ...
Regards, Phil

toad
19-10-2010, 12:04pm
Do you have a community college in your area?
Such institutions often run beginner courses through to more advanced, and in my experience costs are modest. AP is always here to help you too.

Eberbachl
19-10-2010, 12:20pm

Hi Rick,

With respect, I'd just like to say that posting photos, and actually getting some critique here are two very different things (and yes, I have offered more critique to others than I have posted photos).

;)

Eberbachl
19-10-2010, 12:29pm
Regarding the course, it all depends on the individual.

Personally, I love doing a structured course and get a lot from it. I'm currently doing the course at www.thephotographyinstitute.com.au and it's great. The material is extremely well written and up to date, it provides you with a bunch of information and encourages you to get out there and take photos. The critique on assignment photos from the tutor is excellent too. They also encourage group participation amongst members with a good facebook group - so there's plenty of participation and feedback - not all theory.

*Secret Tip* I wouldn't pay the $999 for the course - it's a good course, and probably a fair price, but you can hold out for a bargain... I signed up to their website ages ago, and of course over time they send you some *specials* via email. I held out for a good special, and ended up getting the course at almost half price. Add to this that they allow you to pay it in $24 installments as you complete the course (which typically takes 6-12 months) and you hardly notice the cost. It barely costs more than a few cups of coffee each week and contains a TON of good information.

;)

A course is not for everyone, but courses do benefit many people. Sometimes jumping on a forum isn't enough all by itself. AP is a great resource, but for many a good course in conjunction with participation on a fourm like this one is a great idea.

:)

KarenC
19-10-2010, 1:20pm
I also have commenced doing the course through the photographyInstitute and am finding it to be a very well written course, (still stuck on greyscale stuff) Im learning to see through my camera in a new way and enjoying it more. I, like Eberbachl signed up to their website ages ago and waited for a good bargain, getting the course for almost half price.
And now I have found AP I can learn so much more as well.
Good luck with your decisions and enjoy your photography.:cool:

Schmenz
19-10-2010, 1:30pm
i did the chris bray course with my dad. it was great and id recommend it :) and you can also learn alot from here as well!

the advantage of a course i guess is that theres someone right there to help you when you are actually taking the photos.

philiph
24-11-2010, 5:06pm
I did an Adult Education Course (quite economical) to learn about the buttons and dials and continue to scour websites such as this for more info, works for me!

krissi835
08-12-2010, 5:24pm
I have almost completed a photography course with Cengage and have found it average as I plan to make digital images and the course was focused more on film. Usually I am quite the self motivated however lost a bit of interest when it came to processing and developing as I have no plans to do my own processing or printing in a darkroom - can be quite costly. So if you plan do a course I would recommend you do some research and find a course that suits your goals with your photography