PDA

View Full Version : Over Flash

Richard Marshall
21-09-2010, 6:39am
Was using Pentax K7, Sigma EF-500DG Super flash and Sigma 28-70, f2.8 lens at a sports trophy night. All going well until "over flash" occured in several shots. Don't think I altered any settings. Didn't panic, used pop-up flash quite successfully. Background to 'trophy winners' was a large screen. Tested flash out first thing next morning; AOK ??

ricktas
21-09-2010, 8:40am
Not sure what you are asking us here. Did you want advise on how to fix this flash issue or are you just telling us how you found a way around it?

Richard Marshall
22-09-2010, 6:41am
Morning Rick;

Was looking for a possible solution to why so much over exposure.

ricktas
22-09-2010, 6:44am
Can you post some examples with the EXIF intact? That will help us see what the cause is

Richard Marshall
23-09-2010, 3:21pm
Rick;

Alas original files were deleted quite promptly...have been usung the external flash quite a bit over recent days, AOK. Now that I am connected to your forum; shall keep any problem items for comment.. Regards
Richard

DesmondD
26-09-2010, 6:10pm
Rick;

Alas original files were deleted quite promptly...have been usung the external flash quite a bit over recent days, AOK. Now that I am connected to your forum; shall keep any problem items for comment.. Regards
Richard

Normally over-flashed images are the result of the image being too small in the centre of the frame - smaller than the metering circle of TTL flash .
This is a reason I use TTL-BL , because it is not 'size dependent' and uses distance info from the lens as well .

Xenedis
26-09-2010, 6:13pm
You'd really need to post some images, preferably with EXIF data. It's virtually impossible to determine anything without seeing the result.

Kinda like saying "my computer came up with an error -- what's wrong? I clicked OK and it went away".

If you copped over-exposure, it comes down to the simple fact that your light source was too bright in that set of conditions; ie, it was too close to the subject or it had too much power dialled in. You may have had too wide an aperture for the amount of light emitted.

There are several ways of controlling light intensity, but as above, we need to see what you got...