PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice on taking a picture of a hand (hand model involved)

andylo
20-09-2010, 1:58pm
Hi all,

I am probably will be responsible to work with a hand model and take a picture of her hand (both hand) AND most likely, is washing her hand... I believe the pic would be something to do with promoting benefit of washing hand.

Can anyone with experience provide some guidance?

I will be using a 1DMkIII with a 580EXII and 24-70L. I have a remote trigger for flash if off hot shoe speedlight is required. I will also use a tripod. I also have other lens (wide angle to telephoto) if they have been proven more suitable.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

kiwi
20-09-2010, 2:04pm
not enough information

have you total control over the environment ? studio, onsite ?

Id say a 50m or thereabouts, to wide and you'll get distortion. Nice even diffused light with a clean background

Big Pix
20-09-2010, 5:05pm
it will all be in the lighting....... a large soft box, reflector and key light......

andylo
21-09-2010, 8:07am
Re more information.

It WON'T be a studio. Probably just the washroom of the office. We have about an hour and couple of people will help me, so I guess you can say I have total control of the environment

50M you mean 50mm with the lens? or you mean literally take the pic from 50Meter away?

Don't think I will have access to large softbox or etc.

kiwi
21-09-2010, 8:12am
anydy seriously, if you dont know what I mean by 50m (and yes I should have said 50mm lens), then seriously are you sure you want to be taking this job on ?

andylo
21-09-2010, 11:01am
Why not, I am not getting any $$ out of it anyway :p I am just helping another unit under the same department.

I just like to acquire the experience.

But if you have said 50mm I would not ask that question. And I know that using any wide angle focal length will create distortion - and unless one is very talented and creative (and able to use distortion as advantage), usually will try to avoid it like a plague.

kiwi
21-09-2010, 11:41am
Fair enough then :)

41jas
21-09-2010, 11:51am
haha kiwi, next time say mm not m...ha

If I can suggest take a few from all angles don't just think you are at the right angle. Move around and try everything. I'd be interested in the final shot.:)

Art Vandelay
21-09-2010, 12:08pm
Maybe get a willing helper at home and practice first. That way your prepared.

andylo
21-09-2010, 12:10pm
thanks. How about shutter speed? Should I go for a high speed with crystal sharp water drop? Or a slower speed (and ask the hand model not to move) to create a "water stream" sort of feeling?

andylo
21-09-2010, 12:11pm
Art :) That was my plan and project tonight :)

Lani
21-09-2010, 12:14pm
thanks. How about shutter speed? Should I go for a high speed with crystal sharp water drop? Or a slower speed (and ask the hand model not to move) to create a "water stream" sort of feeling?

Why not try both, but as has been suggested, practice at home first. :)

41jas
21-09-2010, 12:14pm
It's hard not knowing what you are walking in to but try everything. After you get what you are after you will know.

James T
21-09-2010, 12:16pm

Do both, it takes a few seconds to change settings for different shots. Have the model move their hands in a long exposure, have them keep still, use flash, don't use flash, use long exposures and flash. Shoot close ups of the hands, shoot wider with part / all of the model's body included, shoot smiling faces. Just make sure you clean the basin / taps before the shoot.

I'm guessing this isn't a very important job in the grand scheme of things, and they're going to be pretty happy with whatever you give them. So don't over think what is a fairly simple shoot. :th3:

Art Vandelay
21-09-2010, 12:17pm
If you're using flash you'll struggle to blur the water.

Maybe try a different light source if you want that effect.

SnowA
21-09-2010, 12:44pm
A CPL thread popped up the other day - one thing mentioned was the use of one to cut down unwanted reflections. You may want to try a few shots with one on close-ups with the taps in frame?

andylo
21-09-2010, 12:58pm
Ah.. CPL!!! Good idea! Why have I not thought of that!! Thanks SnowA.

(Now, where can I get a CPL for ZPro holder quick smart :p)

andylo
21-09-2010, 2:12pm
Yes Art, agree with you. Flash will only good for freezing it, not blur it.

Probably would give the HSS a trial and see how it goes :)

kiwi
21-09-2010, 6:25pm
The biggest problem likely will be the actual subjects cuticles, they really need to be perfect or you'll be doing lots of Photoshop

andylo
21-09-2010, 7:00pm
I don't have to worry about the Photoshop bit. I am not the only "enthusiast" there. One of the "team member" is a PS advocate. So he will take care of it.

Art Vandelay
21-09-2010, 7:16pm
Well chop chop. Looking forward to see the practice shots. :D

ricktas
21-09-2010, 7:24pm
I would agree, get the hand model to visit a manicurist a couple of times before the shoot and again on the day. Hand shots to be done perfectly, need to skill of someone who can make sure the nails, cuticles etc are perfect. Every little flaw will stand out like dogs whatsits, when the hands are the sole focus of the shot

James T
22-09-2010, 11:28am
A CPL thread popped up the other day - one thing mentioned was the use of one to cut down unwanted reflections. You may want to try a few shots with one on close-ups with the taps in frame?

Polarising filtres cut down reflections from non-metallic surfaces. So you could use it to make the water look flat, probably not something you want. But it most likely would have little effect on the taps.

SnowA
22-09-2010, 11:55am
That's interesting JamesT - I didn't think metallic or non-metallic surfaces made a difference to the way a polariser worked, but I'm no scientist.

I was under the impression that some togs used a CPL to get rid of reflections on shooting car bodies, but I could be mistaken.

ricktas
22-09-2010, 12:06pm
That's interesting JamesT - I didn't think metallic or non-metallic surfaces made a difference to the way a polariser worked, but I'm no scientist.

I was under the impression that some togs used a CPL to get rid of reflections on shooting car bodies, but I could be mistaken.

Umm, yes, it gets rid of reflections, metallic taps and water produce reflections :D

SnowA
22-09-2010, 12:12pm
Yes, that's a good point about the water.

It was JamesT's comment about a CPL only working on reflections from a non-metallic surface (ie. not the taps) that puzzled me.

Keith
22-09-2010, 12:17pm
On the different angles you can use, have a quick look at google images and see the type of variety there are. You may not want all shots looking down into the sink, could try looking across the sink into a blue background, so grab a large peice of cardboard and practice with that too.

andylo
22-09-2010, 12:53pm
Thanks guys :) Really appreciate for all the brain storming :)

(Now I have no excuse for 1) taking a crap shot 2) not posting it here :lol:)

James T
23-09-2010, 10:29am
A polarising filter works with polarised light (funnily enough). Light reflected from a metallic surface is not polarised. Glass, water, skin, vegetation, etc. you're good to go though. :th3:

ricstew
23-09-2010, 5:07pm
Can I also point out........have a look at what you are using behind the hand/s.....what is the background? Dont use the bathroom with the grubby walls or daggy posters about handwashing! Try to have a nice clean empty space so the hands are the focus.
cheers
Jan

andylo
27-09-2010, 11:41pm
As promised - this is the end result :)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=689023#post689023