PDA

View Full Version : D80 has clocked up 10k pics...back to dsc.0001....how to file pics now???

old dog
19-09-2010, 7:42pm
yes, that magical number has arrived and I`m back at square 1 so to speak. How do I adjust things as I already have dsc.0001 in the can already. How do I save things etc.??? Any help anyone......

kiwi
19-09-2010, 7:46pm
you can change dsc to another three letters

Lani
19-09-2010, 7:47pm
As good a reason as any to justify a new camera, Graeme! lol :D

RaoulIsidro
19-09-2010, 7:49pm
One option is you don't have to do anything.
When you run a search for DSC_0001.JPG, the results will display the "date created":) field if you choose to.
You may have 5 to 7 sets of the same file name, same camera, but it will always have a different date stamp.:)

arthurking83
19-09-2010, 7:56pm
I do as per Kiwi's recommendation..

I'm now at DSG_****

it's easier and you maintain a coherent file structure on your PC.

old dog
19-09-2010, 8:08pm
thanks guys. Arthur....can you change it in camera to dsg?????

arthurking83
19-09-2010, 8:25pm
OK. just had a squizz at the D80's menu(and on my D70s) and it seems you can't set the file name sequence, only that you can reset the number sequence(and turn it on or off!).

you can only rename the folder that the images are stored in on the camera.(that was my confusion)

bugga!

What you can do tho is to use Nikon Transfer and allow it to rename all files to whatever you prefer..

so you can change the DSC_ to DSD_(via Nikon Transfer that is) .... or even better! OLD DOG_ :D

Apologies for that Graeme. Too many years with a Dxxx camera... and you get spoilt with far too many set up options, you know!

Actually! Nikon's Transfer is a better way to transfer files from camera/card to PC anyhow.. allows you lots of fast/easy detailed information options.. and the flexibility of allowing you to rename the images as you please is probably a good thing for 'ya too.
Have to say, I was skeptical of it for a long time, and Andrew(I@M) kind'a convinced me, seeing him transferring files and adding keywords and other such info on the fly.
Haven't looked back since.

old dog
19-09-2010, 8:29pm
thanks Arthur.....I hope Picture Project allows me to do this. I`m off to Turkey on wednesday and will be shooting lots of pics for sure....so I hope I can sort this dilema out beforehand.

kiwi
19-09-2010, 8:39pm
yeah, seemed I was wrong too, D70 and D80 cant do in camera, bugga alright, sorry for the bum steer too

old dog
19-09-2010, 8:48pm
I just looked at Picture Project and you can save by date, so might try that tomorrow. Hope it works.

Xenedis
19-09-2010, 8:53pm
yes, that magical number has arrived and I`m back at square 1 so to speak. How do I adjust things as I already have dsc.0001 in the can already. How do I save things etc.??? Any help anyone......

Save them the same way you already do.

Provided you don't keep all of your images in one directory, duplicated filenames should not be a problem.

It's not an issue for me, and I have three or four of a given image filename.

My article on my approach to image storage and backups (http://xenedis.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/my-approach-to-image-storage-and-backups/) might be useful to you.

Boo53
19-09-2010, 9:44pm
If picture project doesn't work, you could try downloading to a temp directory & then running a free program antrenamer http://www.antp.be/software/renamer to add a prefix, etc:

old dog
20-09-2010, 9:03am
thanks guys....will be having a pic project investigation this morning.

I @ M
20-09-2010, 9:32am
Graeme, give pic project the flick, I don't think they even give that away anymore.

Download Nikon Transfer (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6577&p_sid=oLqStrak&p_lva=162&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xOTEsMTkxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MjI0JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9MS4yMjQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9 ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=) and View NX2 (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6796&p_sid=oLqStrak&p_lva=162&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xOTEsMTkxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MjI0JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9MS4yMjQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9 ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=) .

When you import files with "transfer" it allows immediate renaming by a variety of conventions including "name", date and time taken etc.

old dog
20-09-2010, 9:45am
thanks Andrew......I just had a really good look at PProject and it allows similar to N transfer.....date, original file (no) and text...all on block import. So I`ll go and take a few more shots and then download to the PC using this method. If that fails then I`ll have a look at N transfer and view NX.