PDA

View Full Version : Remotes for D90

Sclarke
18-09-2010, 12:03am
Im looking for a remote for my D90. There appear to be a few choices around. The ML-L3 wireless remote seems fine except you do not seem to be able to select continuous shots when you have selected wireless remote. Other 'wired" ones seem to have more flexability, setting the amount of exposure time being one of them. Any thoughts? There seem to be a couple from China (ebay) which sound good.

arthurking83
18-09-2010, 4:26pm
Get one of the Phottix type wireless remotes off ebay.

phottix type simply means any of the similar type, but differently branded(like Yongnuo??) or whatever wireless solutions!

much more flexible, even if they are slightly more bulky!

Can be used literally close to 100m away... which may be handy one day.

I have two Phottix wireless remotes, and both work well. I did destroy the wire connector that goes from the receiver unit to the camera body, but that was my doing. It still works(intermittently).. I just need to get off my lazy ar** and get a new wire for it one day.

I think they're better value for money that genuine Nikon stuff, anyhow! :th3:

Sclarke
18-09-2010, 9:02pm
Thanks, have been looking at the Phottix ones. The Plato seems the one for me. Have also now seen a wired remote which has a display and therefore programmable timer, so does it necessarily have to be wireless for my use or do I just go over board and get both. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

arthurking83
18-09-2010, 10:17pm
The wired remote with timer can be a very useful type for when you need that function. It's called an intervalometer, and one of the really handy uses for them is a perfectly timed x time exposure.
Where x can be any variable. Say you want an exact 45sec exposure, which can't be easily done with bulb setting and manually timing the shot.. where in that instance you may get a 44s or 46s or anywhere inbetween time variation.. the intervalometer will give you an exact 45s exposure.. can be handy, and I have used mine on the odd occasion.

I have both the Plato and the Cleon, and I broke the cable on the Cleon. It's only a low grade cable, and I used to store the camera in the backpack with the connector cable attached, which placed a lot of stress on the connector end of the cable. This broke the internal cabling somehow,and is now very touchy. New cable costs something like $10.. all I have to do is order it from Phottix. Great thing about the Cleon is that you can operate the remote as a wired remote, WITHOUT any need for batteries.
The battery type in the receiver unit is the CR2 type.. not easy to get from any source and it doesn't last very long. I ended up getting a lithium type for longevity too.. very expensive.

Plato is a smarter design in terms of battery type.. both sender and receiver unit use AAA's. I have lots of rechargeable AAA type batteries and battery costs are now a thing of the past. but in wired mode the Plato still requires batteries in the sender unit, for it to operate.
The Cleon uses the receiver unit as the wired remote, the Plato uses the sender unit as the wired remote.

Also note: batteries were always a bane of my existence!! and still are. i generally forget to turn off stuff.. and wireless remotes are no exception. The Ceon isn't smart enough to compensate for my dumbness! :D If I leave it on.. it stays on. The Plato is smart enough to turn itself off :th3: .. I think after about 30mins or 1hour.. it says in the literature.. I just can't remember.. and I've nver opened my camera bag to find that the remote units are still on.. only to find that once I use them they last for only 3 exposures or so!.. So it works ;)

Plato is of a more elegant, and nicer to use design type, and I have yet to test the apparent range it can operate over... but the Cleon does work at about 50-100m over open ground.. confirmed!

Sclarke
19-09-2010, 12:05am
I did wonder about batteries as I've noticed that they advertise batteries for them as well, which made me think they may be custom batteries. I'll order the Plato and give it a go. As for range , 50m would be plenty for me I would think, then again who knows what kind of shot I might attempt. Thanks again.

n00g33
20-09-2010, 10:14am
The wired yongnuo ones seem pretty reliable and are well knwn and cheap. got mine with a set wireless flash triggers. it just came with the pack. Seems to work pretty well with some tests at home. I haven't used it much outdoors yet though.