PDA

View Full Version : canon 550d movie mode

Mile
16-09-2010, 11:59pm
who has a canon 550d here and uses movie mode?

im only learning still and got one today. I wanted to replace my hanycam which is great outside but grainy in the inside light.

The canon seems to be grainy also when i did a test tonight. It was inside and under fluro lighting which is decent enough for normal reading. i still need to play around a bit but can you achieve decent video quality on it at night?

Cheers.

ricktas
17-09-2010, 6:46am
When are we going to see some of your photos?

tanz
17-09-2010, 7:08am
I have the 550 and use the video just for capturing moments of my children but I haven't tried it at night.

Mile
18-09-2010, 8:01pm
Ricktas, i tried viewing a few the photo's of the month on the main page and it wont let me, so i assumed you have the 30 days & 50 posts rules on this too just like the classifieds section.

Then i saw in another thread a guy getting told for putting a photo in a standard thread and not in some other members section.

This to me means i cant just post up photo's anywhere here and i cant access photos until the 30/50 deal. is that right?

i can put a couple photos up but you will have to show me the link to where they go. i dont have much but i still got some.

back to topic:

anyone alse got a 550d and knows movie mode?

Benicio
19-09-2010, 9:09am
It's very easy Mile, just go here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5 and post some pics in the appropriate area.

Elogosha
23-09-2010, 10:23pm
Ricktas, i tried viewing a few the photo's of the month on the main page and it wont let me, so i assumed you have the 30 days & 50 posts rules on this too just like the classifieds section.

Then i saw in another thread a guy getting told for putting a photo in a standard thread and not in some other members section.

This to me means i cant just post up photo's anywhere here and i cant access photos until the 30/50 deal. is that right?

i can put a couple photos up but you will have to show me the link to where they go. i dont have much but i still got some.

back to topic:

anyone alse got a 550d and knows movie mode?
Movie Mode is accessed by turning the dial to extreme clockwise until the movie camera icon is reached. To start recording, press on the camera icon with the red dot. You can press the shutter anytime to obtain a still pic on auto mode. You will find that the movie is quite sharp as it does 1080p clarity - compatible to DVD quality on plasma TV. I strongly advise using a tripod for image stability even with the Canon lens kit that often come with it.

I was told that the 550D was one of the cameras used in filming the TV series "House".:th3:

ZedEx
24-09-2010, 3:28pm
as far as I know, that was largely done with a bunch of 5D mkii's. As far as I know, the 550D was not yet released when that particular episode was filmed.

Movie Mode is accessed by turning the dial to extreme clockwise until the movie camera icon is reached. To start recording, press on the camera icon with the red dot. You can press the shutter anytime to obtain a still pic on auto mode. You will find that the movie is quite sharp as it does 1080p clarity - compatible to DVD quality on plasma TV. I strongly advise using a tripod for image stability even with the Canon lens kit that often come with it.

I was told that the 550D was one of the cameras used in filming the TV series "House".:th3:

Dan Gamble
24-09-2010, 3:52pm
IMHO For best results:

-Custom White Balance is a must unless you are planning on spending a painful amount of time colour correcting and re-rendering in your editing software.
- Choose an ISO that's not above 1600 I'd suggest else you will get grain (I find that ISO800 is a good all-rounder) There will be some exceptions like at night time and this can then be adjusted manually via the wheel if you're going from outdoors to indoors
- Lock focus and use your own judgement else you might find it's slips sometimes or just chases and never locks.
- Check that you are filmig at 1920x1080p 25fps video quality for best results.
- And ditto on the tripod or find a good, cheap (pseudo)steadycam, shoulder-mount or caddy. (the battery grip with 2 batteries adds some weight to reduce shakes slightly when working from the hand. ;) )
- Embrace Live View

There are tips on You Tube if you search for "550D" and "video mode".

Finally... and don't forget: RTFM. and practice practice practice. :D

Have fun!!

Elogosha
24-09-2010, 4:23pm
as far as I know, that was largely done with a bunch of 5D mkii's. As far as I know, the 550D was not yet released when that particular episode was filmed.
Oh sorry then I was misinformed.:Doh:

Mile
25-09-2010, 8:06pm
IMHO For best results:

-Custom White Balance is a must unless you are planning on spending a painful amount of time colour correcting and re-rendering in your editing software.
- Choose an ISO that's not above 1600 I'd suggest else you will get grain (I find that ISO800 is a good all-rounder) There will be some exceptions like at night time and this can then be adjusted manually via the wheel if you're going from outdoors to indoors
- Lock focus and use your own judgement else you might find it's slips sometimes or just chases and never locks.
- Check that you are filmig at 1920x1080p 25fps video quality for best results.
- And ditto on the tripod or find a good, cheap (pseudo)steadycam, shoulder-mount or caddy. (the battery grip with 2 batteries adds some weight to reduce shakes slightly when working from the hand. ;) )
- Embrace Live View

There are tips on You Tube if you search for "550D" and "video mode".

Finally... and don't forget: RTFM. and practice practice practice. :D

Have fun!!

thats a helpful response, thanks for that.

yeah i also heard it was 5d mkII's they filmed house on.