or places to buy

been looking around on ebay
would like some others

thanks for help

Cheers, Ben

jdreamer
16-09-2010, 9:12am
Hey Ben,

You can try Elizabeth street.. hmm, there's a junction (a street next to camerahouse). Go into that lane, and keep walking until you see a shop on the left. They sell a lot of second hand stuff there, I bought a few. Some are steep but they are happy to listen to offers. Try to negotiate a bit.

Other than that, I don't quite remember.

:)

arthurking83
16-09-2010, 9:53am
second hand stuff in those shops(that precinct) all seem to have a hefty price premium compared to what you will find on ebay/Photographic trader/classified in various fora..etc.

Other places where you may run into some luck/bargains:

not always, but sometimes, you may have some luck at Cash Converters or garage sales/etc...

the street that jddreamer talks about is Lt Bourke St from Elizabeth st head up the hill into the adventure store area. Also, check out Camera Exchange on Lonsdale st up the hill from Michaels on the corner.. I think the number is 377 or thereabouts.

benlock
16-09-2010, 7:35pm
sweet thanks guys

i think trip to the city soon is going to be a good idea.

ricktas
16-09-2010, 7:36pm
www.cameramarket.com.au

arthurking83
16-09-2010, 9:46pm

i think trip to the city soon is going to be a good idea.

Don't get your expectations too high tho!
They're really not very cheap.. but you get the security of having a face to deal with, at a store, where you can easily take back the item under warranty...etc, etc.

Just as a precaution to the kind of prices you may come across..

Nikon 28-75/2.8 AF-S.. great lens, big and bulky and stands out like sore thumb well known as "The Beast". I'd like to get one, but only at a decent price... going by some prices I've seen on fleabay and other sites... approx $1K-1.2K for a very good one.. less for a well worn version.
The newer much better 24-70/2.8 sells for approx $1.8-2k greymarket. A well known camera retailer has one of those 'Beasts' for the miserly sum of $2100 .. second hand! :rolleyes:
Now do these guys really think that they're going to sell an old hat lens, no matter how good it is, as a used item, for more money than you can get the updated equivalent for $300 less? the 28-75 has been discontinued for about 3years.. since the introduction of the newer 24-70 version!

That's the general mood of the secondhand camera market scene down in that precinct. I only really loiter around there, whilst a work, when not working.... ie. loitering! :D

As Rick pointed out...Check out cameramarket.com ... I haven't had a chance to check them out in a lot of detail as yet.