PDA

View Full Version : Am I damaging my battries

pjs2
14-09-2010, 10:02pm
Would I be right in thinking that camera batteries suffer from the same memory deterioration problems as other rechargeable. Like most cameras mine cuts out when batteries get to a low point so when recharging it is seldom from 100% flat. Am I harming these batteries by emptying them completely like this occasionally?

hus
14-09-2010, 10:14pm
This method was used on NiCad batteries that used to develop charge memory but Lithium batteries don't suffer that problem.

peterking
14-09-2010, 10:21pm
If that is a Lithium battery, then from my readings and experiences with battery suppliers, yes you are. I have been told by more than one battery supplier as well as several tool manufacturers that Lithiums should never be run completely flat as it can damage them.

I would suggest more reading and data is required to be certain.

milesy
14-09-2010, 10:28pm
if you completely discharge LiIon batteries they are likely to die a very quick death

MarkChap
14-09-2010, 10:30pm
From my readings and research Lithium Ion batteries are actually better of being charged more regularly than letting them run right down

pjs2
14-09-2010, 10:42pm
Sounds like I'm killing the poor little buggers.This was the first time that I have tried this and will be the last.I know that they wont forever my mobile phone batt (lithium) is just aboot dead after 2yrs service. It's a shame it wont work. It took me hours to rig up that battery drainometer.

Dan Gamble
14-09-2010, 10:49pm
It took me hours to rig up that battery drainometer.

I love the "drainometer"! Magnificent concept. Brilliant! :D

ricktas
15-09-2010, 6:22am
Most of them (depending on quality) will lose about 20%-50% of their 'charge-ability' after about 1000 recharges.

OzzieTraveller
15-09-2010, 6:42am
G'day pjs

Luvya drainometer - I made up a similar device years ago for much the same purpose too [funny how things go ain't it :) ]

The charging & discharging of batteries is a series of chemical reactions that [are useful to us by giving off electricity, but] over time fade in efficiency as the chemicals lose their potency [same as me too]

However, there is another side to battery recharging that you can do something about -
As you recharge the battery, the internal chemical reactions cause the battery to heat up, then causing an electrical resistance to occur (call it a blockage if you like)
Your recharger has a light or series of lights indicating the charging in progress &/or when it's finished. If you allow the battery to cool, then plug the recharge in again, you will "top up" the battery

Taking Rick's comment further ... when new you might get a 95% charge, topped up to 100%, but when a year old you might get a 70% charge, topped up to 90% etc etc.

I do this all the time with my rechargeables - I have 1/2-dozen sets of AA rechargeables, (one set is over 10 years old and still going strong) - used in the motorhome for torches, trannies, cameras, flashguns etc etc

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil

pgbphotographytas
15-09-2010, 8:04am
Correct, newer battery types work best if they are not run down too far and work best with a "top up" charge.

Paul

pjs2
15-09-2010, 4:42pm
G'day pjs

Luvya drainometer - I made up a similar device years ago for much the same purpose too [funny how things go ain't it :) ]

Great minds think alike or small things amuse small minds either one works for me.

However, there is another side to battery recharging that you can do something about -
As you recharge the battery, the internal chemical reactions cause the battery to heat up, then causing an electrical resistance to occur (call it a blockage if you like)
Your recharger has a light or series of lights indicating the charging in progress &/or when it's finished. If you allow the battery to cool, then plug the recharge in again, you will "top up" the battery

I had found that if you rotate your batteries 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 in the charger as soon as they read as fully charged it seems to top them up a bit more as well. I reacon I will be doing it your way from now on though.

Many thanks to all
Peter