PDA

View Full Version : Canon 100mm Macro USM - Prone to fault??

Flippit
14-09-2010, 8:21pm
Hi guys and girls :)

Just a general question, im looking into buying a 2nd hand Canon 100MM Macro USM lens.

It comes with both caps and a hood. I know most photographer take care of their lens and handle it with care ( so i hope)

Has anyone heard of or had such experience with this lens faulting or braking? Are they prone to breaking? I myself have never heard of this lens braking or if they suffer from a common problem.

Thanks in advance :)

jjphoto
14-09-2010, 9:59pm
Do you think they are prone to fault or are you suggesting that they are?

Everything that has moving parts will eventually fail. For that matter even electronics, ie with NO moving parts at, will all also fail eventually (all components have a 'mean time between failure' that can be used to calculate the statistical failure rate of an entire system of components). So yes the lens will eventually fail and I'm sure that many have. But no more or less than any other decent lens.

I've never heard of them having any systemic problems. I've had mine for about 6 years, no problems at all.

JJ

Flippit
14-09-2010, 11:26pm
I've had mine for about 6 years, no problems at all.

JJ

That there is what im looking for.

I'm simply asking if they are prone to fail early on in their lifes. I know every thing is prone to fail one, its just a matter of time and life it self. Nothing last for ever right?!

Simply just finding out if their generally strong lenses all round so far i can only find good information. :)

Bear Dale
15-09-2010, 7:49am
I've never read threads about this lens having any inherent problems.

Flippit
15-09-2010, 8:15am
I've never read threads about this lens having any inherent problems.

Good to hear :th3: Things like this brighten my day ahaha! I think im going to go ahead with the purchase of the lens :)

andrask
15-09-2010, 11:55am
Another user without any problems in some three years of use although I suspect there may be some quality control issues. Best to have a hands-on try with your camera body before you commit yourself.

Fantasyphoto
15-09-2010, 12:15pm
I bought my first 100 f2.8mm about 8 years ago and it lasted until my new wife "stole" it to add to her kit so I had to buy another one.

They are a good lens if you are single and not planning to marry :lol:

Flippit
15-09-2010, 1:31pm
Another user without any problems in some three years of use although I suspect there may be some quality control issues. Best to have a hands-on try with your camera body before you commit yourself.
Yeah well the sale was in melbourne so hard to inspect from here in Sydney but i will have a good look over it once i receive it, they had good ebay feedback, provided any information i needed and didn't seem dodgy so i hope, Did it all through paypal since paypal have helped me get my money back on other occasions of fault products.

I bought my first 100 f2.8mm about 8 years ago and it lasted until my new wife "stole" it to add to her kit so I had to buy another one.

They are a good lens if you are single and not planning to marry :lol:

I'm 17 mate, don't plan on getting married any time soon so i should be good to go ahahah!

Flippit
15-09-2010, 1:38pm
Im the official photographer for Zoos Victoria and we purchased this lens originally to do all the little animals/creatures, but found I havent needed it. So hope you get the enjoyment from it

Got this from the seller today, i feel safe this lens should be in tip top condition! :)

Fantasyphoto
15-09-2010, 1:44pm
.....I'm 17 mate, don't plan on getting married any time soon so i should be good to go ahahah!

Just don't marry a photographer and have fun with the macro.

Bear Dale
15-09-2010, 7:37pm
Got this from the seller today, i feel safe this lens should be in tip top condition! :)

Stop having OCD and go and enjoy your new lens!!!!