PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1ds mk2 opinions?

ZedEx
13-09-2010, 8:10pm
Hi everyone. I'm starting to think about what will be my next body. I'm hoping to move into pro work in the next few years so i'm trying to get myself some capable gear. Shooting my sisters wedding later in the year with a 5D mk1 w/24-70 f2.8L attached, and a 40D w/ 70-200f2.8L attached. I have a battery grip on the 5D so not fussed by the heft of going to a 1D body...
I would like another full frame body to use with the 70-200 for weddings sometime next year, and my choices are:

- Canon 5D mk2 @ $2800 new
- Canon 1Ds mk2 @ $2500 secondhand
- a second Canon 5D mk1 @ $1000 secondhand

Now, I love the IQ from my 5D but I loathe the AF. It's adequate for most stuff but swapping from the 5D to the 40D i'm continually stunned at the speed of the 40D by comparison.

Anyone here have/had a 1Ds mk2? Thoughts? I would expect great IQ and probably faster AF than the 5D but the 2" screen has me second guessing things...

thanks guys :)

I @ M
13-09-2010, 8:12pm
Sounds like you should speak to your Nikon rep.

ZedEx
13-09-2010, 8:16pm
hahaha hey I'd be a Nikon man if I could go full frame for less than 3 grand for a body. Plus the Nikon 24-70 is about a grand more than the Canon version. Get back to your autofocus shrine ye' heathen! :D

RaoulIsidro
13-09-2010, 9:30pm
Have you considered the 7D?
8 FPS compared to 1DsMk2 of only 4 FPS.
It's like a 40D on steroids.
But me thinks you want FF so the 7D might not be part of your choice, but it may be worth considering...;)

ZedEx
13-09-2010, 9:33pm
It is certainly tempting, but I definitely want full frame. Understandably, I am not going to get the same sorts of speeds as the 40D and certainly not the 7D, with either the 5D or 1dsmk2. Anything faster than the 5D mk1 would be fine though. Ideally, i'd probably have two 5D mk2's and a 7D as my go-to sports camera :)

Have you considered the 7D?
8 FPS compared to 1DsMk2 of only 4 FPS.
It's like a 40D on steroids.
But me thinks you want FF so the 7D might not be part of your choice, but it may be worth considering...;)

AdamR
13-09-2010, 10:10pm
I would go another 5d. I think the 1ds is superior as far as functions go, but I think shooting with two identical cameras is a far smarter option. 1 series buttons etc are totally different from the 5d.

The 7d has some nice features but i dont feel its in the same league as a 1ds mk2. Not in a long shot. Of which i feel many will disagree, but noone that uses a 1 series will.

Captured frame
15-09-2010, 10:34pm
I was also looking at getting a second hand 1ds11,but struggled to get one that that had not done a lot of work and in good condition and settled for a 5d11 and could not be happier it is a fantastic piece of kit and for the price range I feel it is better value . I do have a 1d11n and love the 1d series (fantasise about what it would be like to have 1dsIV when it eventually comes on the market).

ZedEx
16-09-2010, 8:03am
Yes I guess that's the issue with secondhand pro gear - it is very likely that it has had a lot of use. Having said that, a huge shutter count probably shouldn't be scoffed at as they do have a long life, and as far as I know it's still only a few hundred to replace it so not the end of the world :)

I was also looking at getting a second hand 1ds11,but struggled to get one that that had not done a lot of work and in good condition and settled for a 5d11 and could not be happier it is a fantastic piece of kit and for the price range I feel it is better value . I do have a 1d11n and love the 1d series (fantasise about what it would be like to have 1dsIV when it eventually comes on the market).

Analog6
16-09-2010, 8:25am
i recently sold my 1DsMkII but it was reluctantly, to concentrate on the medium format digital. I was always extremely happy with my images from the 1Ds and the build is so substantial, no worries about damaging it. It's a pro's camera and does a real pro job.

If I ever go back into 35mm digital it will probably be the same body again, I loved it.