PDA

View Full Version : A woman needs a man like::::::

dbax
13-09-2010, 4:31pm
A woman needs a man like...... A fish needs a bicycle!

Seeing is believing

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/8/1/1/fisk_bike_ap_web.jpg

What can I say???;)

geck
13-09-2010, 5:43pm
That looks Swell :)

Might have to get me one of those...

41jas
13-09-2010, 5:55pm
His little legs could be flapping dam hard to get anywhere. :D

hus
14-09-2010, 11:53am
Can anyone tell me the message this bit of art work is suppose to convey or the connection of fish and bicycle.
* People on bikes are fishy people so stay away from them ?
* Up here fish are so smart they can ride bikes just like people ?
* Marine life are allowed to flaunt helmet laws in this area ?

Cool post :th3: thanks for the share.

ameerat42
14-09-2010, 12:15pm
His paddles are a bit short 4 his pedals:)

Kym
14-09-2010, 12:22pm
Pike on a bike? ;)

:D

kiwi
14-09-2010, 12:35pm
it is the gold coast, thinks often make no sense. but as long as the fish and the bike enjoy the experience its all good

Analog6
14-09-2010, 2:00pm
You hot a good angle on that dbax! The most frustrating thing about the whole Swell festival is the positioning of some of the works.

ving
14-09-2010, 2:05pm
i see fish on pushies every day down at brighton le sands :p

hehe

Aussie Battler
16-09-2010, 10:07am
How could you resist the title!!

Entrapro
05-10-2010, 11:19am
I caught one of those fish one day - they're called "Push Pikes".

macmich
05-10-2010, 11:21am
if he was in victoria he would get a 50 dollar fine no helmet
cheers macca

Analog6
05-10-2010, 12:07pm
Can anyone tell me the message this bit of art work is suppose to convey or the connection of fish and bicycle.
* People on bikes are fishy people so stay away from them ?
* Up here fish are so smart they can ride bikes just like people ?
* Marine life are allowed to flaunt helmet laws in this area ?

Cool post :th3: thanks for the share.

From the source 'The Phrase Finder' at http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/414150.html

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

Meaning

A feminist slogan, suggesting that men are superfluous to women's needs.

Origin

This slogan is often attributed to Gloria Steinem. Other claims for origination point to Flo (Florynce) Kennedy, or to an anonymous author who painted the slogan on a wall at University of Wisconsin in 1969.

Gloria Steinem had this to say in a letter she wrote to Time magazine in autumn 2000:

"In your note on my new and happy marital partnership with David Bale, you credit me with the witticism 'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.' In fact, Irina Dunn, a distinguished Australian educator, journalist and politician, coined the phrase back in 1970 when she was a student at the University of Sydney. She paraphrased the philosopher who said, 'Man needs God like fish needs a bicycle.' Dunn deserves credit for creating such a popular and durable spoof of the old idea that women need men more than vice versa."

Irina Dunn later confirmed Steinem's version of events, in January 2002:

"Yes, indeed, I am the one Gloria referred to. I was paraphrasing from a phrase I read in a philosophical text I was reading for my Honours year in English Literature and Language in 1970. It was 'A man needs God like a fish needs a bicycle'. My inspiration arose from being involved in the renascent women's movement at the time, and from being a bit if a smart-arse. I scribbled the phrase on the backs of two toilet doors, would you believe, one at Sydney University where I was a student, and the other at Soren's Wine Bar at Woolloomooloo, a seedy suburb in south Sydney. The doors, I have to add, were already favoured graffiti sites."

Dunn's modesty is appropriate, as 'A needs a B like a C needs a D' was a well-established format in the USA many years before 1970. For example, this usage in the Connecticut newspaper The Hartford Courant, December, 1898:

The place [Aragon, Spain] didn't need an American consul any more than a cow needs a bicycle; for it had no trade with America, and no American tourist ever dreamed of stopping there.

Entrapro
05-10-2010, 11:21pm
I think the fish was on the way to the Gay Mardi Gras to join the "Pykes on Bykes".

Entrapro
05-10-2010, 11:22pm
I was at Sydney University in the late sixties but that piece of grafitti didn't make it to the men's toilets.

dbax
06-10-2010, 12:00am
thanks for providing the back ground info Odille:th3::th3:

bconolly
06-10-2010, 2:48pm
Background noted, but why is the "sculpture" on the beach front?

dbax
06-10-2010, 11:17pm
Background noted, but why is the "sculpture" on the beach front?

I guess he/she missed the last bus home from school (sorry couldn't help it)and had to find alternative transport.;)

Swell Sculpture Festival Gold coast September
http://www.southerngoldcoast.com.au/news/?p=1070

:D:D

bconolly
07-10-2010, 1:34pm
:) David and thanks for the link

BC

vivadangermouse
24-10-2010, 10:43pm
wait a minute...there's something wrong with that bike's pedals!

arthurking83
24-10-2010, 10:59pm
a very nice capture db.. but I feel it needs a little something.. maybe not so much contrast or colour boost.. I'm thinking more along the line of some salt and vinegar perhaps .... a touch of tartare sauce may also do it(but I can't stand the stuff myself).