PDA

View Full Version : Help with event!

tmd77
13-09-2010, 9:54am
Hi All,

My GF works for a local councillor as a Media Liason Officer, and her office has asked me to come take some photo's of an event celebrating a new dog park being opened in their ward in a couple of weekends. I've hesitantly accepted the invitation.

only thing is now, i've gone into a bit of a panic mode. I'm not sure what lenses will be most appropriate for the event, and i'm extremely worried about the brightness of the sun as the event is going to be held between 9:30am and midday. i guess fingers are crossed for a cloudy day...

My equipment will be as listed in my sig below, if anyone can give me some suggestions/advice/tips it would be greatly appreciated.

if i can manage to get some good shots, there is a distinct chance i could get published (albeit in the local rag).

thanks in advance!

Fantasyphoto
13-09-2010, 10:03am
Newspapers will most likely prefer something different than a plain documentary photograph, I would be thinking along the lines of using a wide angled lens at the eye height of a "cute" dog with the "dignitaries" standing close behind.

kiwi
13-09-2010, 10:07am
can you get the dogs to bite the dignataries ? Id get a photo of that for the front page ?

no ?

anyhow dont stress, just look for interesting angles as previously said

You dont need any new lenses, the 18-55 or the 50 will be fine, maybe a flash would be usefil for fill though.

Keith
13-09-2010, 10:37am
are there any trees there? you can get some dogs and owners to get in the shade of one of them.

yeah definately wide as they will prob want ppl, dog and a bit of the park showing.

do a test run at that park on the weekend at around the same time

Gremlin
13-09-2010, 11:05am
not to confuse matters, but would a +2 ND filter help with the sunshine being very bright? My thinking is that itd darken just slightly so the 450D doesnt blowout the highlights, I have the same camera and often find myself under exp in bright lighting,
Any thoughts?

And good luck Trent hope it works out for you :)

Grem'

Fantasyphoto
13-09-2010, 11:21am
can you get the dogs to bite the dignataries ? Id get a photo of that for the front page ?.....

It has often been said that a photograph of a dog biting a man will not make the front page but a photo of a man biting a dog will.

Food for thought from my fertile but twisted imagination :lol2:

tmd77
13-09-2010, 9:14pm
thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, looks like i'll be buying a flash in the next week or so, so will defs try for the flash fill.

with the shot of the "cute" dog and the dignitaries behind, should i go for a shallow DOF or deep DOF?

Interesting comment grem on the +2ND filter... anyone else got thoughts on that?

thanks again

Gremlin
13-09-2010, 10:14pm
you should be ok without it, but just remember I havent got a clue ;)

Fantasyphoto
13-09-2010, 10:19pm
......with the shot of the "cute" dog and the dignitaries behind, should i go for a shallow DOF or deep DOF?......

Try it both ways however with a wide angled lens it is more difficult to get a shallow DOF.

weaver2j
13-09-2010, 10:46pm
Get a lot of shots and pick the best,if you are not sure about exp try bracketing the exp normal,over & under. Get some shots a few days before as tests all the best

Gremlin
13-09-2010, 11:08pm
Holy crap I have some possibly useful information!!!!!!
Like weaver suggested the bracketing,
goto page 80 of your 450's manual change to continuous shooting and you cameras range of bracketing and it helps do it almost automatically :)

But this is where you say something like, thanks but I already knew that ....

Grem