PDA

View Full Version : Where to Learn?

Chinook
12-09-2010, 2:20pm
Yesterday I bought the canon500D twin lens kit. Today is my birthday & we are going to my nieces who also shares the same Birthday. I will get a chance to try the camera out for the first time.

What I would like to ask is: Is it a good idea to go & do a course and do you know if Tafe have them?
I find it very hard to pick things up from a book or manual. What do others think? Sorry to ask questions but I really do want to learn how to use my camera & get the most from it.
I want to enjoy taking photos of my dogs.

Look forward to your replies. I want to be brave enough to try the lens LOL & take the camera off auto:o.

chkennedy
12-09-2010, 7:24pm
Most people I asked when I first started with my new dSLR said to read the manual and play with the camera settings myself.
I agree, but I, like you wanted a little bit of a walk through to get my confidence up.
I recommend the adult ed courses for this as the teachers are experienced and you leave with a lot of confidence to then go and practice and learn and experiment on your own.
They have great intro courses in Hobart and Adelaide, but I'm not sure what's available elsewhere.
I enjoy reading the many mags on photography too. The Australian photography and Better photography magazines are good sources of info and inspiration.

Kym
12-09-2010, 7:47pm
Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104) forum and the Learning Plan (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24290).

Save your $$ and put it into more glass ;)

ricktas
12-09-2010, 7:51pm
Everyone learns differently. Some reap the rewards of classroom style 'education'. Others like to watch videos, others read books, or delve into the internet, and some like to learn one-on-one. You need to first understand how YOU learn, then make the most of that.

judybee
12-09-2010, 7:54pm
I think an evening college course would be great for you and while you are doing this also look at the New to Photography section as Kym suggested. it'll all start to make sense ...

tanz
12-09-2010, 7:55pm
I would also suggest having a look in the New To Photography section. Read through the stickies then look through the rest of the posts for the challenges so you can put into practice what you have learnt. After working through that you might find that you don't need to do a course.

Chinook
13-09-2010, 10:35am
Thank you all so much for helping me out. I have two new mags but will make a start with the New to photography section. The learning plan sounds like a great idea. I just need to get myself organized now. Hope to post some pics soon.

Thank you all for your replies. I will look into a evening course to. Having you here to help is much appreciated.

Luna-blu
13-09-2010, 10:53am
If you don't mind diy learning, you really can't go past the learning centre here.
For my mind it is just as good as any beginners course you'll find.

Having said that practise, take photos of a fan with a slow shutter, then a fast shutter, then put them on the computer so you can analyse the results.

Same with apperture, iso, focal length.

It won't take you long to see what settings get what results :th3:

Gremlin
13-09-2010, 11:12am
shooting a fan thats a good one!
But as others said there loads of info on here, also try youtube, and most of the UK photo mags come with video tutorials that are pretty good, as Rick said work out how best you learn, I fall asleep in classrooms and am a visual learner.
Also drive your family nuts and chase them all with a camera, if you have a pet get down low and follow it around, it will definetly help :) Practice Practice Practice!