PDA

View Full Version : Taking Photo's + Settings

Jodster
11-09-2010, 4:33am
I am currently doing a photography course today and the best advice I learnt today was there a couple of points you need to look at when taking photo's.

Put the camera on the A setting on camera (Nikon)

1) Set ISO (Start at 100)
2) Set Aperture

Once they are set the camera will set the Shutter Speed, depending on what you are taking a photo of, you may have to either change the ISO or Aperture to get the right Shutter Speed.

Aperture means- Iris of the eye - Controls the Volume of Light
ISO means - Sensitivity to Light
Shutter Speed means - Time of Exposure (Length of time)
with these 3 you will get the Correct Exposure.

RAW - Requires Post Processing, Large File and Large Dynamic Range
JPEG - All processed and is squeezed down and info will be lost, small file and less colour.

Depth of Field
Aperture
Focal length - (size of zoom) Bigger zoom less Depth of Field
Distance from Subject
F 4.5 is Shallow DOF
F22 is Large DOF

This is some of the stuff I have learnt, I hope it helps people new to photography.

OzzieTraveller
11-09-2010, 7:19am
G'day Jodster

Nice to hear from you about your course :)
As I'm one of those people who stands up the front of a group of students, it's nice to see the results of such [a colleague's] endeavours

At the moment I am runing a weekend workshop here in Emerald, Qld. Cameras range from slip-in-the-pocket P&S jobs to dSLR twin-lens kit jobs & lots in between. The questions from the students are all different and make it a wonderful experience ... so I hope you save up a few curly-questions for your instructor as well :D

Funnily enough - the classroom-experience goes both ways. Many is the time when I am asked something out-of-left-field - so I have to research it to find the answer, &/or someone asks me about the use of something in a manner I had not thought of previously - so I am always learning as well

So, good on you for doing it all - and keep us all advised of the things you discover
Regards, Phil

nanwu
12-09-2010, 9:27pm
thanks for sharing.......i am trying to learn how to get the best use out of my camera but as yet haven't had the dollars to do a course (hopefully down the track i will) but it's always nice to read what others are learning and you will also find heaps of help on here both throughout the general forum and also from the new to photography section looking forward to seeing your photo's

kiwi
12-09-2010, 10:20pm
cool (but set the iso on 400, not 100 :) that extra 4x shutter speed sure is handy with minimal, if any, loss of quality due to any additional noise)

Kym
12-09-2010, 10:23pm
Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104) forum and the Learning Plan (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24290).

I think it's already covered ;)

ricktas
12-09-2010, 10:25pm
Certainly a timely reminder. The New To Photography forum here on AP, breaks each of those down into 'bite sized' chunks and gives you an understanding of aperture/ISO/Shutter speed, how they work and how they affect the photo you take. So pop over to the NTP and get some more information to backup what you have learnt. And if you feel the need, try some of the NTP challenges to explore how the settings work in the real world, of taking photos.

cupic
13-09-2010, 8:22pm
RAW - Requires Post Processing, Large File and Large Dynamic Range
JPEG - All processed and is squeezed down and info will be lost, small file and less colour.

I find that when I transfer Raw files to PS or LR I find that the saturation and colour are stuck out and faded(Mine you I do increase Saturation through the camera setting before taking the shots)

cheers