PDA

View Full Version : Which option should I take?

Tanne
09-09-2010, 7:53pm
I am a amatuer photographer and am going on a holiday soon to Islands in the Pacific. I already own a 50d and 17-55 IS lens. I'm wanting a zoom/longer focal length. I need one regardless anyway!

I have worked with two cameras before at once and found it easier/I liked it - the 50D I have now and with a powershot which gave me a zoom/longer focal length and which was nice and light but my powershot is now years old and playing up. What option should I take so I can have the superzoom with my wide angle lens?

1. Buy a 70-200 IS F4

2. Buy a 550D and a 55-250mm canon lens - this is what I would rather do - I don't enjoy changing lenses and then can just pull out the camera I want when needed. It can be a back up camera as well. So then I would take the 550d and 50d one with the zoom lens and one with the wide angle.

3. Just buy the 55-250mm canon lens for my 50d and change lenses when needed - and then I could afford to buy extras that would be handy/nice to have like extra memory cards, a CF filter, a good quality bag, maybe a tripod. Possibly a 50mm prime lens I could afford to get then to.

Thanks for any help!

old dog
09-09-2010, 8:16pm
sounds like a dilema. I think I`d go option three. I`m actually considering getting a panasonic fz40 as I had the fz 30 before the nikon D80 which I now have. The superzoom is pretty handy...in good light. I`m getting a sore shoulder carring all the weight of cam, a few lenses etc in the bag....so this would be great for holiday shooting and I`d leave the nikon at home.

Tanne
09-09-2010, 8:25pm
Thanks old dog! Yes its good to have superzoom even if on P&S! The quality of the P&S has grown so much and hopefully will continue to!

old dog
09-09-2010, 8:30pm
thats right.......I keep hanging off, but there will always be something better next week, so you should just get it and enjoy it.

Tanne
09-09-2010, 8:40pm
Yes very true! :)

Brian500au
09-09-2010, 10:20pm
The problem with two bodies and traveling is weight and space in your luggage. I would really recommend going with either option 1 (if it is in your budget) or option 3, as the 50D is an excellent all round good body. Option 1 gives you a first class lens and is a match to your already stellar 17-55.

MarkChap
09-09-2010, 10:48pm
Have you considered Option 4 ?

Tamron 18-270 VC ?

1 lens, 1 body ??

Mary Anne
10-09-2010, 12:08am
I have just come back from 10 weeks overseas and I took 2 cameras, 3 lenses plus all the extras
A wide angle, telephoto + 1.4 Extender and 90mm macro for close-ups.

No way was I leaving the country without that second camera, all the lenses in the world are not going to help if your only camera dies.

And changing a lens in a bag is a pain any time even more so on a windy day out in the open so #2 sounds good to me.

Tanne
10-09-2010, 9:31am
Markchap I did think about it but I love the shots from my 17-55mm so I was thinking that at the end of the day whatever choice I make at least I can use one lens I like! But that would make it easier on me!

Thanks Brian! Being an amateur would I still see the difference in my shots between the two lenses? or is it only shown with those who have a good experience with cameras/lenses. I am thinking I will be able to see the difference but its also the make of the better lens for travel I am considering to (being more hardy) so....

Mary Anne that is what I am thinking as well - it is so much easier once you tried it lol and I have heard of other photographers travelling that use two. Plus the backup - knowing if one fails the other is there!

:umm::confused013:Doh: pretty much sums up where I am at! lol Cause you all make good sensible points for each one which echo all my own thoughts about which to choose and why to!