PDA

View Full Version : 7d questions

Shelley
07-09-2010, 7:39pm
My firmware on this camera is 1.2.2 - is this the latest update. From what I have searched I think it is.

One problem I am having - is trying to get the focus point to illuminate red in the viewfinder when shooting - at the moment I only have black outline of focus points. Can someone direct me how to get this to happen. I have been reading my manual and googling and I am unable to get it to happen.

Appreciate you help - thanks

:)

pupmeister
07-09-2010, 8:06pm
It sounds like you have set your focus mode to AI Servo or AI Focus. If you change it back to One Shot focus you will always get the in focus point lighting up red. You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)

Cheers Pupmeister

PS also check that your lens has not been to set to manual focus, I can say how many times I have cursed Canon, Sigma and anything else related to photography before sheepishly realising I flipped the switch from AF to MF by accident.

Shelley
07-09-2010, 8:21pm
It sounds like you have set your focus mode to AI Servo or AI Focus. If you change it back to One Shot focus you will always get the in focus point lighting up red. You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)

Cheers Pupmeister

PS also check that your lens has not been to set to manual focus, I can say how many times I have cursed Canon, Sigma and anything else related to photography before sheepishly realising I flipped the switch from AF to MF by accident.

No, my lens is not set to MF (easily done for sure). On the 50d in AI servo the red focus point is illuminated in the viewfinder when I am shooting. So, are you saying in the 7d it doesn't have this feature? I cannot get it at all to illuminate.

wideangle
07-09-2010, 8:30pm
Try shooting in a dark area, like the inside the house and you should see them light up. Check out the manual as it says something about in bright outdoor areas the red indicators won't light up. Well they do, but very hard to see.

Cliff
07-09-2010, 8:34pm
Yes, latest firmware version for 7D is 1.2.2
My 7D focus point flashes red when focus is achieved in One Shot and AI Focus but not in AI Servo.

Shelley
07-09-2010, 8:36pm
You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)

You were right - as I checked it as suggested by Wideangle.

Try shooting in a dark area, like the inside the house and you should see them light up. Check out the manual as it says something about in bright outdoor areas the red indicators won't light up. Well they do, but very hard to see.

Thank you, Wideangle, I did that and war la - I saw my focus points. In AI Servo they did not come up :( - I like the red illumination in my viewfinder - but I will adjust I guess - as I do BIF a lot.

SnowA
07-09-2010, 8:59pm
AIUI if you use AI servo AF or MF then it only highlights when AF starts, rather than indicating focus lock. Do you mean you can't get a red focus point on one-shot AF?

SnowA
07-09-2010, 9:03pm
Had to double check - I think it should be CFIII-8 'VF display illumination', set to Enable.

Shelley
07-09-2010, 9:06pm
AIUI if you use AI servo AF or MF then it only highlights when AF starts, rather than indicating focus lock. Do you mean you can't get a red focus point on one-shot AF?

I could not see the red illumination in AI Servo, One-shot etc., but when I went into a dark area as suggested by Wideangle I did see it in One-shot. In AI Servo I did not see at all.

On the 50d I can see it all the time no matter what the AF modes is, I rechecked on my 50d.

Funny, as I cannot see the AF point in the viewfinder illuminated in daylight.

Shelley
07-09-2010, 9:09pm
Had to double check - I think it should be CFIII-8 'VF display illumination', set to Enable.

Thank you - I did do that. I am sussing everything out and I am loving this camera now.