PDA

View Full Version : My first dSLR coming, Canon 350D :)

enigma82
06-09-2010, 7:36pm
I found it on ebay and it's on its way, my first digital SLR, a used Canon 350D with 18-55 kit lens. I am quite excited, after using a point and shoot for almost a year now to learn what I can from it.

So, the next step will be slowly saving for the appropriate lenses, and this is where I need some advice. From what I've heard, that 18-55mm kit lens isn't much good, so I should probably aim to replace that. I also notice that many kit lenses come in the ummm longer variety (my terminology is not up to scratch, sorry) - such as up to 200mm.

So I'm not sure what I'll actually be needing, and which will be the most appropriate lenses. I would like to do portraits. I am also very interested in macro photography. I have found myself doing some photos that I guess you might call landscape style. What I would ideally like to do is keep the actual number of lenses to a minimum so that I'm not constantly switching lenses while out and about - if this is possible I would greatly appreciate advice on how to achieve this. I don't really want to sell myself short on the different types of photography I have open to me, if possible.

Also, I'm guessing that even when buying lenses such as Sigma or Tamron it is best not to cheap out and go for the cheapest Sigma or Tamron, etc. Is this correct? I'm just assuming it is because of the "you get what you pay for" rule.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, and if I can further clarify my needs please ask so that I can get much needed guidance on this. Yaaaay I'm excited!

ricktas
06-09-2010, 7:46pm
good work. The 18-55 is a kit lens as you day, but it is a lens that can stay on your camera whilst you learn about the camera's features, how it all works, composition etc, and just cause it is a kit lens doesn't mean you can't get some great shots with it. So dive right in, forget that the lens is called a 'cheapie' and make the most of your new gear, learn all you can, and keep saving for the better lenses, but do not get put off from taking photos just cause your lens isn't a 'tighty whitey'.

enigma82
06-09-2010, 7:53pm
Thanks Rick, yeh I am so excited, and I'll definitely get some use out of the kit lens for a while I'm sure. :)

Indigo
07-09-2010, 10:40am
Congrats on your 350D, I had a 350D for quite a few years and it served me very well,
took great photos with the kit lenses,
my daughter has inherited the camera and takes lovely portrait shots of her children , using the kit lenses.
Enjoy and learn all you can with this camera. :)

Cheers Indigo

enigma82
07-09-2010, 2:29pm

tanz
08-09-2010, 12:02pm
I also have the 18-55 kit lens and even thought I know the kit lenses are not supposed to be as good as the better lenses, I am happy with the photo's I am getting out of it for now. I know one day I will want something more and my next lens will probably be the 100mm macro because obviously it will be able to do macro but it is also supposed to be good for portraits which are two things you mentioned you would like to do as well.

TheMilkman
08-09-2010, 2:19pm
350D was my first DSLR too, loved it! kit lens is fine, no need to go throwing money about until you really figure out what it is you want next (focal length/aperture etc). I had some good cheap fun with old m42 manual prime lenses (using adapters) on my 350D which is a great way to try out different lenses on the cheap (with some very impressive results)

enigma82
08-09-2010, 4:58pm
Awesome, thanks for the replies. The 350D arrived today and I've managed to take a few shots with it already. I am just about to sit down and see how they turned out, so I might have a couple of shots to put up soon :) Thanks again.

ZedEx
09-09-2010, 10:01pm
350D was my first dSLR too, back in 2005 as a 17 y/o tacker haha. Kept it for about 3 years, great camera. The 18-55 isn't that terrible really. You pay less for a lower build quality, cheaper and slower autofocus and probably less coatings on the glass. Some copies of this lens are better than others. The one I had was alright, bit of CA (chromatic aberration) around contrasty objects but a lot of lenses do this is varying degrees. Stick with it as others have mentioned until you're ready for something better

Thoma
10-09-2010, 12:01pm
Hey mate...

If you would like a lens that is good for portraits, take a look @ the Canon 50mm prime. rated @ f2.8 provides a great shallow DOF. My brother just purchased one (second hand), & it takes a pretty good pic. At $149.00, it's a good bit of kit to have.:cool:

Regards,
Clayton

Kerro
11-09-2010, 4:43pm
Enigma, I still use a 350D, (looking to upgrade to a 7D later this year). I have a couple of kit lenses and have taken some great shots with them. I am slowly upgrading my lenses to better quality glass but they are still in front of my trusty 350D, which I will keep as a 2nd body when I get the7D.