PDA

View Full Version : Sunny 16

mitgonk
06-09-2010, 11:00am
Hi All,

Just purchased a Mamiya RB 67 Pro S as my start into medium format photography!!

very excited to play around with it when i get in about 5 or so days.

Though it is fully manual exposure, just wondering if someone can help me with estimating proper exposure?

As i understand exposure, i should use the sunny 16 rule, which is,

100 iso at f16 is 1/100 (or 1/125)

then if it becomes slightly overcast it would turn out to be...

100 iso at f11 at 1/200 (or 1/250)

overcast would be

100 iso at f8 at 1/400 (or 1/500)

would this be right or am i completely left field?

regards,
Tim

JM Tran
06-09-2010, 11:03am
Sunny 16 is a good starting rule, but it is quite flawed when u take into account a host of variables when it comes to exposures and composition etc

do you have a DSLR? use that to meter, and adjust the RB to that, its quite accurate from my experience of doing the same if I dont have a light meter

Kym
06-09-2010, 11:19am
Learning Centre: Appendix C - Camera Metering (measuring light) & Sunny 16 rule (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=33981)

Is a must read for a starter. Contains a chart in post 3 of the thread to help you

mitgonk
06-09-2010, 11:44am
Hi Guys,

thanks for the info!

i did think about taking around my dslr and metering off that and changing settings as accordingly though i'd prefer if i was able to estimating exposure by myself.

in saying that i will most likely meter with my dslr the first few times i take it out, and then hopefully i get to a point where i can estimate it with out metering with the dslr!

Has anyone heard of this particular camera before? or had any experience with it?

GlennSan
07-09-2010, 7:45pm
You might like to have a look here (http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1) as well for some info on estimating exposure. I've found this method/reference chart quite handy.

ameerat42
07-09-2010, 9:47pm
Hi Guys,

thanks for the info!

i did think about taking around my dslr and metering off that and changing settings as accordingly though i'd prefer if i was able to estimating exposure by myself.

in saying that i will most likely meter with my dslr the first few times i take it out, and then hopefully i get to a point where i can estimate it with out metering with the dslr!

Has anyone heard of this particular camera before? or had any experience with it?

Yes, Mitgonk. Congratulations on a good choice and join my club. I used a P+S on M setting as a bit of a lightmeter for iffy situations, using it as a spot meter, zooming in on areas, etc. But then I got a digital spotmeter - much better and lighter.

What lenses, backs, accys have you got? I find myself almost always using a 50mm lens when I go out with it. I've got a heap of others, but I just like wide angle views. I also have a metered prism, for which I paid about $300 many yrs ago. I think I used it about 3 times then gave up, because it weighed a ton in itself.
Am.

mitgonk
10-09-2010, 12:23pm
i heard the metered prisims were just added bulk, and the best way to go would be a light metre!

i just (an hour or two ago) received my Mamiya RB 67 Pro S!

it's got a 120 back with the 90mm C lens! i've heard great things about the 50mm, but i think i'll get the exposure estimating down pat before i start building up the collection! i think a spare 120 back would be the next thing to get!

ameerat42
10-09-2010, 1:02pm
Quite right about the prism. The 90 mm lens is the "wider" of the two standard offerings, the other a 127mm. A 2nd back sure is useful. I also have two polaroid backs - now I use Fuji print film, but it fits. Be careful with the darkslide that comes with the backs. If it's a bit bent/warped/wavy, it can cause light leakage. Am.

mitgonk
14-09-2010, 9:06am
just finished my first roll of 120 on the rb67! man that's a fun camera! was down the beach on the weekend, nice bright sun, was using the sunny 16 rule, then checking my dslr for confirmation- it was pretty much spot on!