PDA

View Full Version : Tips on shooting from cessnock plane

DSLR400D
04-09-2010, 2:02pm
Hi all,

I am planning on going on a flight by renting a cessnock from the banks town airport. My friend has the license to fly. I have never done this before and I was wondering if anyone has done it and has any tips.

We have not decided on which part of Sydney we will be flying but all options are open. I am looking at some advice on tips for shooting, tips on gear, etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Regards,
D

Wayne
04-09-2010, 3:34pm
If you are flying from YSSY (Bankstown) I assume you mean you want to rent a Cessna, not a Cessnock (Small town in Hunter Valley NSW)?

If flying from YSSY, a great trip is North following the lane of entry, then turn East from Hornsby tracking to Long Reef before descending and turning South to track the coastline all the way down past Wollongong at 500ft AMSL, this is known as a Victor1 flight.

Once past the 'gong, track West to Wedderburn, and then approach YSSY from the SW and 2RN (VFR approach point) before joining the circuit and landing again.

One possible bonus of doing a Victor1 is that once you descend and start to track South from Long Reef, you can call Sydney CTR and request a track to the West from the Sydney Heads, and you can fly a few patterns near the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and CBD areas. Usually the clearance if given will require you to remain East of the bridge, and North of the Southern shore at all times, not below 2000FT AMSL (As this is also the rotary wing approach lane of entry over the CBD)

If renting a Cessna, either a 152 or 172 will be fine, but you want to be in the front right seat if renting the 172. The high wing of the Cessna will give good visibility to the ground without the wing being in the way. The 152 is a 2 seater and you will be in the RH seat anyway. Just be aware that the windows on these planes can be opened during flight, and it can be tempting to do so on hot days. Whatever you do, just don't stick your hands/head/gear outside the window because at 100KTS you will nearly blow out of the plane.

On the day, take a clean microfibre cloth with you, so that you can clean the inside and outside of the plane window before you takeoff. Early/mid morning is a good time to go as it is not usually too hot, and the sun is low in the sky which will provide nice warm light over the Harbour, not to mention the air is usually smoother.

Hope that helps..

ameerat42
04-09-2010, 5:44pm
...On the day, take a clean microfibre cloth with you, so that you can clean the inside and outside of the plane window before you takeoff...

And keep clear of the cesspit.:eek:

DSLR400D
04-09-2010, 7:14pm
Thanks Wayne. That info is really helpful. What I am also trying to find out is what camera gear particularly which lens would be bette? I am definitely planning for one wide angle lens and on tele photo lens. I am happy to hire a lens for a day, if I don't own one that migh fit the bill.

Regards,
D

Wayne
04-09-2010, 9:18pm
If you have 2 bodies I would be looking to take a 24-70 and a 70-200. You will probably find that at the wide end, keeping the wing struts out of the frame will be a it difficult, so best angle is to shoot slightly rearward from the side window, get your pilot to rock the wing up on the right side when you want to shoot.

OzzieTraveller
05-09-2010, 7:12am
G'day D

Fab info from Wayne - he seems to be a "flyboy" (no offence meant, Wayne)

D - from some small-aircraft, occasional flight experience - If the aircraft has rear-seat air-vent holes in the windows, I try to bags those seats

I would suggest camera settings as -
s/speed - try for 1/1000 as much as poss to minimise vibration
lens - for general views, a 70-300 will do very well, the 18-70 will do nice 'pano' style wide shots

If the flight plan is a clockwise loop around Sydney, think about which side of the plane will give you best results before climbing aboard - you can't up and shift once airborne :-(

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

DSLR400D
05-09-2010, 6:10pm
Thanks Phil. The good news is that it's just going to be myself and my friend who will be flying so I will have access to every seat location within the plane.

old dog
05-09-2010, 7:14pm
have fun...I`ll be doing the same up here soon. Great info too...thanks guys.