PDA

View Full Version : Filter Help

William
03-09-2010, 9:07am
I'm off to buy a replacement for my scratched Soft ND 3 stop Cokin Grad , I'm wondering wether a Hard ND Grad would be better for Sunrises that are always taken over the Ocean, Anybody got any ideas? It's just that a soft always gets the rocks to dark , Thinking a hard I could position the filter to just on the horizon - Bill

William
03-09-2010, 12:06pm
Back from shopping , Got the problem sorted, bought two new Cokin filters, ND4 Medium 2 stop, And ND8 Soft 3 stop, Turns out one i already had , Was a 3 stop hard !! but it has some scratches , Silly me :) Thanks guys - Bill :th3: love Fathers day :D

Xenedis
03-09-2010, 2:09pm
If the rocks cut across the horizon, you'll still have dark tops, but the transition from light to dark will be more pronounced.

William
03-09-2010, 3:24pm
Xen, What filters do you use? Check my above post for what I have just bought, Wish I had the whole range to do a Test on for a Month or Two :umm: , Anyway , Now I dont have to content with scratches and Flaring as the Sun Pops it's head over the horizon :lol2: - Cheers Bill

Xenedis
03-09-2010, 3:29pm
William:

I have Lee 0.9 and 0.6 GNDs (soft) and two Lee 0.9 NDs.

I haven't tried a hard grad yet.

William
03-09-2010, 3:44pm
What you said about the hard grads was what I thought, If you dont get the positioning right in the holder the middle part of the image can be to blackish , If you know what I mean , So now I have a "M" Medium to play with , I did'nt even know about a Medium till I went to the Camera Store , I think a Medium will work , I hope :th3:

Boofhead
03-09-2010, 5:10pm
It will be interesting to see the difference it makes to your shots Bill. What shop did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

fr33lanc3r
03-09-2010, 5:34pm
Looking forward to seeing your shots.

wmphoto
03-09-2010, 6:45pm
There's 4 Cokin filters I like to use. 120L (Grey grad), 123L (Light Blue grad), 124 (Tobacco grad) and a 153 (ND4 - 0.6). Probably use the 120L more than anything (for sunsets) and been happy with the results and the 124 gives a nice orange glow to sunsets. Using both at the same time helps at times as well.

Warren

Kerro
03-09-2010, 7:01pm
Looking forward to seeing your shots with the new filters, too Bill

old dog
03-09-2010, 7:34pm
yes, me too Bill as I`ve not yet ventured into nd`s and grads....they are on my wish list.

William
04-09-2010, 8:44am
Thanks guys, Now all I have to do is drag myself out of bed, i'll do that over the next couple of days, Andrew, I went down to Tweed Heads, Opp Centro, Wades World , Lol, Karen says I cant use them yet because It's not Fathers Day till tomorrow :umm:

Boofhead
04-09-2010, 9:10am
Thanks guys, Now all I have to do is drag myself out of bed, i'll do that over the next couple of days, Andrew, I went down to Tweed Heads, Opp Centro, Wades World , Lol, Karen says I cant use them yet because It's not Fathers Day till tomorrow :umm:

Do you shop there often Bill, is it a good store? I hope the conditions are good for you tomorrow then, I would have loved to have met you down there as my 0.6 reverse turned up last Monday and I am itching to get out and try it. I will be down at Sydney for the weekend so I will have to wait a bit longer. Can't wait to see the results. :beer_mug: