PDA

View Full Version : twin kit vs DIY

Snappytom
02-09-2010, 3:26pm
Dear valued advisors,
I want to photograph my children, sport, and insects legs, on the beach in any weather. I am leaning toward entering the world of DSLR with the Pentax K7. With new models looming the price is getting better and the twin kit (WR 18-50 + 55-200) is now $1550. I guess these lenses would be a good start to learn on. (can I do macro with either of them)
However, I am wondering if I should do more research and find exactly the right lenses of best quality. ie prime 50mm for eveyday or a better quality zoom or a real macro. (I dont know a lot about these yet)
My question: twin kit or keep researching the most appropriate lens for me?
Thanks for your opinions.
Cheers:)
Snappytom

JohnB5319
02-09-2010, 3:37pm
Generally speaking, you get the kit lenses for little more than the cost of a body alone (which rarely seem to be discounted unless they are a high end model). The question maybe more 'Do I need a twin or single lens kit?'. I don't know the price differentials but I suspect it won't be much. Nowadays, DSLR kits seem to have 55mm as the upper limit for the shorter lens. My original kit was a twin lens kit but the shorter lens went to 70mm which was adequate for most situations I was in. I found that I rarely used the 70 - 300mm as a result.

Keith
02-09-2010, 3:41pm
That question just saved you a few hundred dollars :) I wished I was on AP back when I was looking at buying a camera.

If you know you are going to get into photography then definately leave the kit lens alone and just get the body and get a good lens instead. After a while you will probably end up with at least 2 or 3 quality lenses depending on the things you like to take.

Snappytom
02-09-2010, 6:11pm
Quote update on the Pentax K7 plus twin kit. The shop called back and clarified. The twin kit is $1920 the K7 plus Pentax WR 18-50 is $1445; the K7 plus Pentax WR 18-50 and SIGMA 55-200 = $1550.

Apparently Pentax kit lenses are pretty good.
OR just a body and then buy exactly what I need (whatever that is :confused013)

Thanks everybody,
I am glad I found AP before I started as well :th3:
Cheers
Snappytom

I @ M
02-09-2010, 6:24pm
Snappy, I would do a lot more research if I were you.

The K7 is in my books the best bang for buck DSLR on the market at the moment and if you wanted to buy one, stick to the one kit lens just to have something to take pics with initially and save towards speciality lenses further down the track.

But do check other reputable sellers for prices as even stores that are known for average to higher than average prices have some pretty decent prices on bodies and kits.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php?item1=CAMERAS&item2=PENTAX&item3=DIGITAL&brand=

Pixley
02-09-2010, 8:18pm
Snappy there is quite a good price at Topbuy at the moment on the Sigma 50mm F1.4 lens - it is a grey import though - so another thing to consider - or you could try and get CR Kennedy to price match it if you are considering getting a 50mm prime (and want a local warranty). http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Sigma-50mm-F1-4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-for-Pentax-lens-International-Warranty-p31804.htm

There is also a thriving second hand market of Pentax lenses to buy as well once you work out what you want (as you already probably know Pentax has great backward compatability) both local and on the Pentax Forums - also where you will learn a lot about your camera as well as any lenses you would consider.

The Sigma 17-70 is also another lens to consider as a slight upgrade to the kit lens with your K-7 - it wont set you back too much more than the kit lens but has good reviews and might suit your purposes for a little longer while deciding what else to buy to suit what photos you are starting to take.

Good luck and great brand choice!;)

Snappytom
03-09-2010, 1:37am
All helpful. I am on to it.
Cheers :th3:
Snappytom

tim71
06-09-2010, 11:57pm
try shopbot.com.au for current best pricing, I have seen K7 twin wr lens kit for below $1700