PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic heads.

Captured frame
01-09-2010, 9:57pm
I am thinking of getting a panoramic head for my tripod,and was wondering if anyone had suggestions ,experience or recommendations. Have not used one before but am quite interested in doing some pano work, would be used with a 5D11.Would love to hear what you think.

Derek-C
02-09-2010, 8:27am
I made one myself that works OK.

Not hard if you are handy with your hands.

Will post a couple of pictures if you like.

Derek

Big Pix
02-09-2010, 8:33am
I have used Derek's pano head and it is a good unit. The images stitched spot on, the only thing missing are the clicked stopping points, if you use around 50% overlap all should line up

Rattus79
02-09-2010, 10:36am
I did a DIY one as well, no click points, but stiches perfectly even with stuff in the very close foreground. Even works perfectly for multiple rows.

Derek-C
02-09-2010, 2:02pm
I forgot to add that they would be pics of the head ,not pano's

Derek

Captured frame
02-09-2010, 8:49pm
Thank`s Derek would be interested to see what it looks like,from the few I have seen for sale they are quite pricey - but then in our hobby most things tend to be a bit pricey at times.

old dog
02-09-2010, 8:57pm
me too would like a look at your DIY skills Derek.

Derek-C
03-09-2010, 7:21am
Here it is

Made the first out of wood just to try it out .Bernie Big Pix suggested a couple of mods

Take two .Had some square Perspex lying about .Put a slot in the arm so the camera can move back and forward.Couple of minor mods since then but it works OK.Made the tripod mounting plate out of Aluminum.

Graeme, give me a shout when you are coming to the next meet and I will bring it.

Captured frame,PM me if you need to know anythig more or more detailed pics.

Derek

macmich
03-09-2010, 9:01am
derek
very well made what thickness would that persplex
cheers macca

Derek-C
03-09-2010, 1:51pm
Macca ,its about 1 inch square .

A shop was throwing it out so got a bit but nearly all gone now.

Derek

Big Pix
03-09-2010, 3:05pm
Derek........ put 300 dollars on the test wood head and see how you go...... but take a near offer....:D :lol:

old dog
03-09-2010, 3:29pm
looks reasonably easy to make Derek. I would love a closer look at it, so thanks for the offer and I hope we catch up soon.

Derek-C
04-09-2010, 7:43am
That's OK Graeme .Next meet.

Bernie .I think the wooden one is all ready in another project.$300-00 sounds cheap :confused013

Derek

macmich
04-09-2010, 7:57am
thanks for the info derek
cheers macca

yarnella
04-09-2010, 10:46am
I'll give a big thumbs up for Derek's DIY perspex special. He made one for me and it works just fine. I have also used a Panosaurus Rex and Derek's head was much easier to us.
And the images stitch together easily with Microsoft ICE.

Wayne
04-09-2010, 10:53am
That piece of engineering would have to be the best value nodal rail and head I've seen.

Captured frame
04-09-2010, 8:31pm
Thanks for the pics Dereck,guess it is time to head of into the shed and give it a try,hope it turns out as good as yours.

Derek-C
05-09-2010, 7:07am
One more pic for you Captured frame.

Front on showing the lens in line with the tripod mount.

The only important measurement really

Good luck with it .

Remember we wont pics of the finished project :)

Derek

davidd
05-09-2010, 8:53am
Hi

I built my first panorama bracket from a length of 75x75x2mm Aluminium Angle, ($5.00), which I cut and ground, then painted with spray epoxy enamel. It has positions marked for my various lenses at various focal lengths. It attaches to my ballhead with a Markins plate, fixed with a 6mm CSK bolt to the aluminium.

I also had a Kirk L-bracket to fit my camera, and used to have to change from the L-Bracket to my panorama bracket whenever I wanted to take a panorama.

I suddenly realised that a much simpler solution existed, using the L-bracket. I bought a RRS nodal plate which fits into the clamp on the ballhead, and slides back and forwards. It also has a clamp on the end, so I now just fit the L-Bracket to the camera, and fit the RRS plate to the ballhead, and slide the camera back or forwards to suit if I am taking a panorama or a normal shot. It's much quicker to change now, just turn the camera to portrait orientation and slide the camera back on the RRS plate to the correct marking.

Here are shots of my first bracket. I can provide a shot of the new arrangement if anyone is interested.

negatron
08-09-2010, 3:36pm
sorry for the noob question but why the need for a special pano head if the tripod can do the 90 degree turn and horizontal axis turning?

Something to do with very wide lenses and seeing the legs of the tripod?

yarnella
09-09-2010, 8:07am
The aim is to have the nodal point of the lens above the actual turning point on the tripod to avoid any parallax error. Do a Google search on "panoramic head" and you will find lots of information about it.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/panohead.jsp