PDA

View Full Version : Camera Play Invaluable

Bubbleyboy
01-09-2010, 7:50pm
As part of doing a digital media course (basic) we are being required to be able to use almost every adjustment on our cameras , shutter speed , iso , white balance , apeture ect to find these these as and when we need them at a moments notice and too see what effect taking exactly the same shot with different settings has on an image .
A very usefull exercise to you get comfortable with using and adjusting you camera to get the most out of it , playing around with digital costs nothing and opens up a whole new world to used to put it on auto point and shoot .
To know where things are , how to change them and what effect that changes will have on the image is an open door to better photography .
So play around with those settings before you need to "want to" use them .
You dont have to use them but its good to know where they are if you want to .
HAPPY GAMES .

Bubbleyboy

Snappytom
02-09-2010, 2:45pm
Sounds like great advice. I like the idea of challenges being set to 'force' ourselves to extend our own photography.
Thanks
Snappytom
(still researching which dslr is right for us, a challenge in itself)

Bubbleyboy
02-09-2010, 4:35pm
The course I , we are doing most of the students are using cheapish point and shoot cameras , canon A470 , but most digital cameras have the ability to adjust settings and not just to use AUTO . Taking the same photo with different settings helps you understand what they do for the picture your taking . A SLR whichever one you select just gives you more options with lenses and settings but the magority of setting changes on a point and shoot are similar in nature .
So when I finally make the leap to my selected SLR I should have a basic understanding of what making certain adjustments does . (Thats the theory anyway)

Bubbleyboy.

Mile
07-09-2010, 10:23pm
good learning doing it that way.

ricktas
08-09-2010, 6:57am
The NTP has challenges for exactly this. There are several in the NTP forum now that get you using and understanding what each camera function does, and then how to combine two of them. Feel free to join in, on those threads

Kym
08-09-2010, 10:04am
As part of doing a digital media course (basic) we are being required to be able to use almost every adjustment on our cameras , shutter speed , iso , white balance , aperture etc <snip>

:confused013 I thought that's what the NTP Learning Plan shows us to do? :Doh:

I agree - try it, post it for CC and learn!!

The learning plan is designed to help members acquire the fundamentals of photography in a sensibly structured manner, one key element at a time.
This approach avoids information overload.

The learning plan is also very practical in that it asks those participating to post images and get feedback
(constructive critique a.k.a CC) whereby they can quickly improve their skills.

We start with the camera in full auto (with fixed ISO sensitivity of 400, and JPEG mode) while learning to hold the camera and compose shots
We then progress to Aperture Priority (with fixed ISO) while learning Depth of Field (DoF)
We add Shutter Priority to the skils (with fixed ISO) while learning movement control
Once the above are understood we process to changing ISO (100 thru 1600) using mainly Aperture Priority while learning about sensitivity and noise
The participant is now ready to use full manual control of the Exposure Triangle (ISO sensitivity, Aperture, Shutter speed)
We advance to control of white balance using raw mode instead of JPEG
Finally we add other aspects such as flash, stabilisation (tripod) and other creative options

The above sequence provides a sound base to further explore the joy of photography.
All AusPhotography members can feel free to assist with the NTP process by commenting to NTP posts and providing CC to NTP participants.