PDA

View Full Version : when to crop ??

ricktas
30-09-2007, 8:15am
I have read two differing ideas when it comes to cropping your images during post processing.

1. Crop first, that way you are not editing stuff that isnt going to be in your final image anyway, why waste time editing something that is getting the chop?

2. Crop last, do all your editing and then crop, cause once you have your final image, you will know exactly where you want to crop it.

I tend to fit into category 1 above, where in your post processing workflow, do you crop your image?

MarkW
30-09-2007, 8:33am
Always crop first

It can reduce the file size thus making changes work quicker

Seesee
30-09-2007, 9:28am
I usually crop first as usually I can see something that needs immediate removal, and why edit something that you dont want anyway. But sometimes if there is something in the picture towards the edges that is unwanted I attempt to clone it out first, if I cant get results then I just crop.

Harves
30-09-2007, 9:37am
I agree, crop first, that way you don't have to deal with the unwanted stuff.

Helen S
30-09-2007, 11:20am
Yep, I crop first, also. :)

Ploddy
30-09-2007, 11:50am
I never need to crop

:o

yeah right.

Crop first.

sans2012
30-09-2007, 12:09pm
Method 1 for sure. Very first thing I do, well after I open up the grid to check everything out. Then you know exactly what you have to work with.

I really try my hardest these days to take images that dont require cropping. Though these days I tend to take mostly landscape images, where a minor crop is required for horizon adjustments.

Ronbo
30-09-2007, 1:21pm
Darn you guys didn't leave me a seat on the crop first express. :(

Yeah cropping first for me as well

Knawful
30-09-2007, 1:36pm
I try to take pic's that dont need cropping now.. :o

However....if/when i do crop it's prior to any pp.